FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Help Shooting Blown Glass

pepperman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Help Shooting Blown Glass

I posted this in "Lighting & Techniques". I know that many of you here in this forum have lots of lighting technique and might have a solution for my problem.

I need suggestions on how to best light and shoot some small (4 inches) blown glass ornaments (hand blown glass figurine suspended in an oval glass bulb surrounding). I would like to hang them and can rig a stand to hang them from. I have a 2' x 2' light tent and planned on using my Canon 1D MkIV and a 100mm f/2.8 macro lens. My goal is to be able to shoot these beautiful pieces and show the detail of the figures in the center without having all the glare and reflections in the outer glass. I am hoping for a technique that makes this possible. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks in Advance!
Peace & Blessings,
Stuart

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:24 AM
LordV
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Help Shooting Blown Glass

How big are the bulb surrounds?
If fairly large you may be able to prevent light reflections from at least the front surface by having the lens effectively against that surface- a bit like shooting things in aquariums.
An alternative possibility would be to have a highly coloured and patterned background and have the lights shining on the background rather than the subject.

Brian V.

Jan 12, 2013 at 02:11 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.