Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · IDENTIFIED: Speedotron accessory. Purchased.

Skarkowtsky
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · IDENTIFIED: Speedotron accessory. Purchased.

See below. Thanks!

Edited on Jan 25, 2013 at 04:18 PM · View previous versions

Jan 12, 2013 at 03:29 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · IDENTIFIED: Speedotron accessory. Purchased.

Skarkowtsky wrote:
I don't have a photo of it, and the best way to describe it is as a stubby, black collar, like a tin coffee can cut in half horizontally, that mounts onto a 7" reflector and accepts 7" diameter grids. It's deep enough to hold two or three grids stacked inside. Approx, 3-4" in height.

Something like this?

Jan 12, 2013 at 04:59 AM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · IDENTIFIED: Speedotron accessory. Purchased.

Hi Brian,

Something similar, but it doesn't have the spin mount, as far as I can tell. The more I think about it, I've almost always seen it sold on eBay with the 3 degree grid. I own three of those grids, but haven't come across this piece.

Thank you, Sir.
John

Jan 12, 2013 at 08:59 AM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · IDENTIFIED: Speedotron accessory. Purchased.

Found it.

It's part of an eBay lot auction, and the seller won't part it out to me. He also told me that if the auction doesn't sell, he still won't sell it to me.

He claims it's a grid for a snoot. However, Joe over at Speedotron says it's an early design grid holder (before the grid reflectors were made) that also allows multiple grids to be stacked inside.

Anyone have one I can buy?

Jan 24, 2013 at 08:04 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · IDENTIFIED: Speedotron accessory. Purchased.

As the inventor of gaffer tape was fond of saying: "Necessity is the mother of invention."

It appears to be something you could DIY pretty easily with a spare speed ring, some sheet aluminum or Cinefoil, and some gaffer tape. Spray paint it black if you want that "pro" look

Not sure if you could adapt it but Buff sells an accessory that holds a grid and has two slot for holding a gel and a set of barn doors at the same time. I have one and it is a very handy gizmo. http://paulcbuff.com/litemod.php

Jan 25, 2013 at 01:46 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · IDENTIFIED: Speedotron accessory. Purchased.

cgardner wrote:
As the inventor of gaffer tape was fond of saying: "Necessity is the mother of invention."

Ross Lowell used to say that a lot? I always think of Richard Franck: "Art imitates Nature, and Necessity is the Mother of Invention." (Northern Memoirs, calculated for the meridian of Scotland, c. 1658.)

Jan 25, 2013 at 02:03 AM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · IDENTIFIED: Speedotron accessory. Purchased.

With the time and expense needed to acquire the materials for said DIY project, it's not worth it.

I found one today for $15 from a rental house that's liquidating inventory. Beat to shit, but has it where it counts.

Jan 25, 2013 at 02:11 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · IDENTIFIED: Speedotron accessory. Purchased.

BrianO wrote:
Ross Lowell used to say that a lot? I always think of Richard Franck: "Art imitates Nature, and Necessity is the Mother of Invention." (Northern Memoirs, calculated for the meridian of Scotland, c. 1658.)

That was tongue in cheek... I guess you didn't get it.

Besides how do you know he didn't use that common expression? Is that in Wikipedia too?

Jan 25, 2013 at 03:26 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · IDENTIFIED: Speedotron accessory. Purchased.

cgardner wrote:
That was tongue in cheek... I guess you didn't get it.

Right back attcha.

cgardner wrote:
...Besides how do you know he didn't use that common expression?

Did I suggest that he didn't? No.

Get a life.

Jan 25, 2013 at 04:26 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · IDENTIFIED: Speedotron accessory. Purchased.

BrianO wrote:
Get a life.

Got a rather good one actually. Had interesting fulfilling jobs that allowed me to travel around the globe and comfortably retire five years ago, young enough to enjoy it to the max. Now I commute in a little red roadster to play golf every day, weather permitting.... and hang out here trying to help people when it isn't. I try to keep a smile, not editorialize about the advice others give, and avoid mean spirited personal attacks or feeding the trolls.... so I won't ask how your life is going

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · IDENTIFIED: Speedotron accessory. Purchased.

Stop arguing. Lets stick to the topic, everyone.

Jan 25, 2013 at 01:38 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · IDENTIFIED: Speedotron accessory. Purchased.

Not my fault, I made a constructive suggestion of an alternative. BrianO just couldn't resist the urge to troll...

Jan 25, 2013 at 03:54 PM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · IDENTIFIED: Speedotron accessory. Purchased.

The piece shipped to me today. I should have it next week. Will let you guys know how I like it.

Jan 25, 2013 at 04:06 PM
markd61
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · IDENTIFIED: Speedotron accessory. Purchased.

What does stacking grids do other than cutting the light by a ton?
You mentioned you had 3 degree grids. I have never seen any that tight but can only imagine how little light they would pass.

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · IDENTIFIED: Speedotron accessory. Purchased.

Actually, I get quite an amount of light from my 3 degree grids at both 800 and 400Ws. As for you never having seen them: they were made by Speedotron, and are rather rare today.

I photograph tabletop sets, and I'm most interested in the ability to narrow the beam to suit my subject matter. Sometimes, I'm shooting rather small objects. Other times, I only want a small essence of light in the scene, whether it's highlighting the subject, foreground, middle, or background. The ability to use this to stack grids has much appeal to me and my shooting style.

As for light loss, well, I have 4800Ws of power at my disposal to compensate in my favor.

If you have a moment, visit my site for a better idea of my work.

Jan 26, 2013 at 03:09 AM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · IDENTIFIED: Speedotron accessory. Purchased.

Received it today. I must say it's a nice accessory. The grid contained withing is 15 degree, which is nice since Speedotron currently only offers 10, 20, 30, 40.

The front of the holder can easy accept gels or a snoot, too. The rear has enought space to add gels and another grid. With some manipulation, I can even swap the existing honeycomb with that of a different degree.

Very pleased.

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:00 PM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · IDENTIFIED: Speedotron accessory. Purchased.

Skarkowtsky wrote:
Very pleased.

You'll be wanting a couple more then !!

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:43 PM
Skarkowtsky
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · IDENTIFIED: Speedotron accessory. Purchased.

The fever, I know!

Jan 29, 2013 at 12:18 AM
PeterBerressem
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · IDENTIFIED: Speedotron accessory. Purchased.

Skarkowtsky wrote:
I photograph tabletop sets, and I'm most interested in the ability to narrow the beam to suit my subject matter. Sometimes, I'm shooting rather small objects. Other times, I only want a small essence of light in the scene, whether it's highlighting the subject, foreground, middle, or background.

Consider to use small mirrors for this task. I often redirect from the beam of a standard source by mirrors of varying sizes. Sometimes I even decrease the size of a mirror (or alter the shape) with black paper.

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:34 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password