New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Live view on 6D compared to 7D

Filterman

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Live view on 6D compared to 7D

Live view on 6D compared to 7D

I am seriously considering moving to full frame from a 7D to a 6D. Can you tell me if the live view implementation on the 6D is as good as the 7D live view?

I use live view a lot on the 7D for landscape shooting and it works very well. I am hoping live view works as well on the 6D as I also would use it for landscape shooting. Any comments on LV for the 6D would be appreciated.

Thank you

Jim Allen

Jan 11, 2013 at 05:40 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Live view on 6D compared to 7D

Hi Filterman (Jim),

Welcome to FM.

I can't answer your specific question re: LV on 7D vs 6D, because I haven't used a 6D. OTOH, I can assure you that it will be "as good". LV is what it is. The 7D has a 3" LCD with 902k resolution. The 6D has a 3" LCD with 1040k resolution. No worries.

Welcome to FF.

Cheers, Jim

Jan 11, 2013 at 05:46 PM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Live view on 6D compared to 7D

jcolwell wrote:
OTOH, I can assure you that it will be "as good". LV is what it is. The 7D has a 3" LCD with 902k resolution. The 6D has a 3" LCD with 1040k resolution. No worries.

Also all Canon dSLRs from the 5DII onward (about the last 4-5 years) have electronic first curtain with Live View shooting. This means the absolute least amount of camera induced vibration, and ideal for tripod mounted landscape photography. With Live View on, in either AF, Live View "Live" or using manual focus ie LV 5-10X for focus) program in the 2 sec delay so that any vibration from touching the camera will die out. The shutter will stay open and the shot will initiated with no mechanical movement; this is called electronic first curtain.
Note in LV shooting (Live or MF) the exposure is taken from the LCD magnification area. If you move this about with the joystick to lighter/darker areas the exposure will change.
Mike K

Jan 11, 2013 at 06:02 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Live view on 6D compared to 7D

Huh. I thought the 6d shares the 3.2" 1M resolution LCD as the 5d3/1dx.

Jan 11, 2013 at 06:02 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Live view on 6D compared to 7D

I haven't used a 6D but all the Canon's I have used, from the 40D to the 5DM3, have had the same LV implementation. That is to say, perfect 100% magnification clarity, excellent low-light preview performance, and fast refresh rates - everything one needs for accurate and enjoyable focusing. And pretty much everything lacking on Nikon's implementation

Jan 11, 2013 at 06:39 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Live view on 6D compared to 7D

M Lucca wrote:
Huh. I thought the 6d shares the 3.2" 1M resolution LCD as the 5d3/1dx.

Nope. It's 3.0". OTOH, it is 3:2 aspect ratio.

Yes. It's 1040k (1M).

Screen capture from 6D manual [pg. 376] is attached.

Jan 11, 2013 at 07:17 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Live view on 6D compared to 7D

5d2 seems to meter on the loupe area when magnified..

6D works like the 7d but the zoom in controls are different.

6D screen is indeed only a 3.0" one and not as good as the eos m or 5d3.

Jan 11, 2013 at 08:37 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Live view on 6D compared to 7D

Does it have a black bar like the 7d during photo review? Iirc the reason the 5d3/1dx have 3.2" is to accommodate native 3:2 aspect.

Jan 11, 2013 at 09:49 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.