Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Basketball questions

gome1122
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Basketball questions

I've done a few high school basketball games before, but can't seem to get some things right. First off the local schools gym is poorly lit so i usually shoot 1/800 ISO 5000(NR) at f/4 with a 70-200. Would going down to 1/640 be too slow for basketball? Also I usually sit at the corners of the court since there is only 3 ft of room by the baselines and I leave that for the refs. This usually works pretty well besides the fact the I seem to get a ton of shots of the point guard but not a lot f the other players. Is there a better position to sit. It's a pretty small gym, only about 3ft of space on the sidelines and baselines besides the scorekeepers and the entrances. Maybe right in the middle in between the two sets of bleachers?

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Basketball questions

I don't think 1/640 is too slow if that can buy you a bit less noise. I shoot NBA at that shutter speed (at ISO 4000), and while occasionally there is some motion blur, for the most part it gets the job done. I'd suggest sitting about where the three-point line meets the baseline. This gives you nice, tight access to action directly under the basket, a nice angle on the key/foul line, and pretty much allows you to have a good shot at anything within that half of the court. There's no doubt you'd have a bit more leeway shooting at f/2.8, but I'm going to assume your lens is the f/4 version, so you're doing what you can.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:20 PM
acoll123
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Basketball questions

I remember shooting film at 1/500 f2.8 iso 3200. Now I shoot 1/750 f2.8 iso 12,800. I would suggest going down to 500th and seeing what you get . . .

Andy

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:29 PM
stempsons
• •
p.1 #4 · Basketball questions

not a pro here, but shooting slightly inward from the corners toward the hoop is where i prefer to be. 1/640 would be my lowest shutter speed for guys basketball. it's hard to get the faces in frame when shooting from the side.

your lighting isn't too horrible if you're able to shoot f/4 iso 5000 1/800. best thing to do is play with the settings and see what works best for you, but probably not go lower then 1/640.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:31 PM
sstovall

p.1 #5 · Basketball questions

I just started shooting with the 5dIII but previously shot a 1DIIn using my 85 1.8
That worked pretty well and I had less light in my grand kids gym than you have. Try renting one if you can't borrow one. ??

Jan 12, 2013 at 03:52 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rolette
• •
p.1 #6 · Basketball questions

gome1122 wrote:
I've done a few high school basketball games before, but can't seem to get some things right. First off the local schools gym is poorly lit so i usually shoot 1/800 ISO 5000(NR) at f/4 with a 70-200.

You should probably adjust your expectations some. Assuming your exposure is correct with the settings you mention, that's very good lighting compared to most HS gyms.

Jan 12, 2013 at 03:25 PM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
p.1 #7 · Basketball questions

I agree with rolette, I shoot at 5000 ISO on a 1D4 and I'm at F2.8 at 1/250th as I remember. I think this afternoon's gym has more light. Sometimes I like just a little bit of motion blur as long as it's an arm or foot and not a face.
Not sure if sstovall wanted you to rent a 5D3 or an 85mm F1.8
Lots of guys use the 85 for BB. I use 50mm with my 1D4 and try to get some of the rim/net in the shot.
Good Luck to you.

Jan 12, 2013 at 03:31 PM
Scott Sewell
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Basketball questions

I've shot (and sold!!) a TON of high school basketball at 1/500, so you've got plenty of room to play with exposure. These images were all shot at 1/640 and I'm not sure high school kids are going to be any faster than D1 guys.

Sounds like--given the layout of the gym you explained--you're sitting in about the best place you can sit. You might also think about getting up into the stands with longer glass and see what you can come up with from there.

Good luck.

Jan 12, 2013 at 06:03 PM
pjbuehner
• •
p.1 #9 · Basketball questions

If you can get a prime lens or a 2.8 zoom version of what you have...you can gain a stop or two of light. I shoot at F2.0-2.8 in a gym that sounds about 1 stop darker than yours. I like the 1/800 number and would open my aperture before dropping my shutter speed. If you are stuck at F4 then by all means 1/640 is doable. In real dungeons I have dropped to 1/400 and had very usable results. There will be blur in the arms and legs on many of them but...
Other opinions will vary. Experiment and see what you like better.

Good luck,

Jan 12, 2013 at 06:10 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password