Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Using a speedlight for basketball?

gome1122
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Using a speedlight for basketball?

I just got my first speedlight (Canon 430EX II) and I am going to be shooting a High school Basketball game later today. I always go to the local games and whenever I shoot I use my 7D with a 70-200 F/4 at 5000 ISO(NR on) at f/4 and 1/800). I was wondering If bouncing the 430EX II off the ceiling would make a difference? I'm going to ask the coach and principle if I can use it first so nobody gets mad, but if I can use it, is it even worth it to get better ISO performance?

Jan 11, 2013 at 08:29 PM
Caleb Williams
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Using a speedlight for basketball?

With this flash, except direct, you're probably not going to see a huge difference and in fact the cons outweigh the pros.

Basically (and others should be able to elaborate more), this flash will be unable to overpower the ambient light except really close to the flash which leaves you with the paparazzi look of bright foreground and super dark every where else.

Jan 11, 2013 at 08:34 PM
gome1122
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Using a speedlight for basketball?

Caleb Williams wrote:
With this flash, except direct, you're probably not going to see a huge difference and in fact the cons outweigh the pros.

Basically (and others should be able to elaborate more), this flash will be unable to overpower the ambient light except really close to the flash which leaves you with the paparazzi look of bright foreground and super dark every where else.

I wouldn't be pointing the flash at the players, I would be bouncing it off the ceiling. So not to blind the players.

Jan 11, 2013 at 08:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mdalby
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Using a speedlight for basketball?

One speedlight is not going to change your situation much. I used to use 2 speedlights direct and that will work. You can also bounce off a wall if your gym will accommodate but bouncing off the ceiling isn't enough light to do the job.

As Caleb mentioned, you have to get your settings to be 2-3 stops below ambient and then you need strobes to get your light back up and one speedlight won't be enough to do that for you.

Jan 11, 2013 at 08:57 PM
basehorhonda
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Using a speedlight for basketball?

Like everyone else all ready said, 1 speedlight is prob not going to have enough power to be able to bounce it off the ceiling and be of any use to you.

Jan 12, 2013 at 03:41 AM
Daniel Smith
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Using a speedlight for basketball?

If you are shooting courside and close to eye level you might get thrown out, depending on the coach and the referees.
Ask ahead of time before shooting with strobes anywhere near head height and courtside.

Jan 16, 2013 at 05:06 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password