Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Camera Crossroads

onegreatcity
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Camera Crossroads

Sadly, this is another 'help me decide' thread so if witnessing a grown man flail about like toddler isn't your thing, I suggest you move along!

Here's the story: Impulsively, I sold my 1DmkIII last night as I got a good price and had developed a serious case up upgrade fever. Truthfully, I had no succession plan except I had hoped to go full frame. After playing with the 6D in a local shop, I've ruled it out due to ergonomics. The mkIII was my first 1 series body and I liked the heft and feel of it in my hand.

That said, my budget is limited so I will be buying used. 1Dx is not gonna happen so if FF is the destination, we're left with the 1DsIII and the 5DIII.

I love the 5D2 but have ruled it out as I have one at work.

What do I shoot? I'm all over the map. My kids basketball, tae kwon do, snowboarding, dogs at play, birds in flight, the occasional concert in low light, behind the scenes photos on film/TV sets, the occasional landscape, family events, etc. etc.

Now I see prices of the 1DiV starting to move down a bit so maybe that's also an option. All I know is I'm a guy without a camera and I'm getting a bit jumpy.

Your input is most welcome, thanks.

Jan 11, 2013 at 05:56 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Camera Crossroads

5D3, with a battery grip if you must lift weights.

No camera is perfect. Get it now, start shooting. The AF is better than the 5D2 you use. It's a great all round camera, and by leaving the grip at home sometimes, you will be more likely to actually bring it with you for kids, dogs, concerts, family events, etc., etc. The camera you bring is 1000 times better than the one in the bag at home or on the shelf at the store.

Jan 11, 2013 at 06:07 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Camera Crossroads

Last week the 5D3 refurbs started showing in Canon's online store at $2800, the 7D is at $1300; you can probably do better buying used here on FM tho. There's also the Canon Loyalty Program, they'll give you 20% off the refurb price...if you have ANY old beatup Canon body to trade in; even a old film body or point-n-shoot will work.

Being an all-over-the-map-shooter...why not a 7D for awhile, or a 40/50D, or a 1DsII...just to keep your shooting hand/eye active. Save a bit more and get a 1Dwhatever when a good used deal comes along.

Hope you get something soon to help calm that 'jumpiness'
Jerry

Jan 11, 2013 at 06:30 PM
mikeinctown
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Camera Crossroads

I saw a couple 1D IVs here for less than $3k today. I have large hands and found adding the battery grip changes the camera completely, making it feel heavier, larger, and a more perfect fit for my large hands. Don't rule out a 6D unless you can feel it with the grip and batteries installed.

<<<new happy owner of a 5Dii gripped.

Jan 11, 2013 at 06:37 PM
Killergoalie
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Camera Crossroads

1D IV or 1Ds Mk III. Both have that 1 series feel since they are both 1 series cameras. (I don't care how well an add on grip may "fit" or look, there is no comparison to one that is built-in.) They are also roughly available for a similar price $3,000 or lower.

You can't beat the "feel" in the hands of the 1 series cameras!

Since I can't afford a 1Dx neither, I've narrowed my choices likely down to these two as well.
Good luck with your decision.

Jan 11, 2013 at 06:44 PM
ifxbonz
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Camera Crossroads

For your sports action and low light the 1dsmklll will hold you back a bit in frame rate and high ISO capabilities. Look at the mk4 or Dx when you can afford It , or deal with the size plus grip of the 5dmk lll

My dsmk lll was my backup to my mk 4 and my only dislikes were the slow shutter rate and ISO capabilities were annoyances. But I was shooting alot of sports at low light.

Andy

Jan 11, 2013 at 07:13 PM
Kathy White
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Camera Crossroads

For all round shooting 5DIII. 7D does not compare IMHO. I have both and it's hard to use the 7D after using the 5DIII.

Jan 11, 2013 at 07:41 PM
convergent
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Camera Crossroads

I just upgraded from my 1D3 after owning it since they first came out. I was on the fence between a gripped 5D3 and a 1D4. After much debate, I settled on the 5D3 and I'm quite happy with the choice. The autofocus is way better than the 1D3. The "heft" and feel of the gripped 5D3 is as close to a 1D experience as you are going to get short of a 1D, and you have the benefit of being able to drop the grip for casual shooting. The gripped 5D3 is actually a little larger and heavier than the 1D3. The only thing you give up in my mind is a fps and shooting in heavy rain. I can live with that for the full frame high ISO experience and 1DX autofocus system. Between the 1D4 and 5D3, there isn't a bad choice for you. Both will make you very happy.

Jan 11, 2013 at 07:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

StarNut
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Camera Crossroads

Here's my experience, FWIW:

I upgraded from my 10D to a 5D2 in 2010 (bought the 5D2 from the CLP; a great way to go, IMO).

Started getting into BIF, so bought a 7D from CLP.

They are a wonderfully complementary pair of bodies.

But I couldn't resist the siren song of the 5D3 when it came out, and bought one. Didn't even consider the 1ds3 as an alternative.

From the description of what you shoot, you would find the 5D3 to be a perfect camera. It has a reasonably high frame rate; it's full frame; it has excellent autofocus, and very, very good IQ.

The 7D is a fine camera, but not nearly as "good" as the 5D3, IMO.

Mark

Jan 11, 2013 at 07:58 PM
onegreatcity
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Camera Crossroads

Thanks to all for the replies. I have previously owned a 7D and while a fine camera, I much preferred the performance and files from the 1DIII. Adding a grip to a 5DIII is an option I hadn't considered though having had a grip on my old 40D, I prefer an integrated grip of the 1d series. Not ruling it out and in theory I like the option of carrying it or not.

ifxbonz, thanks for your assessment of the 1DsIII regarding ISO and shutter rates.

Regarding CLP, that option doesn't exist (to my knowledge) for Canadians so it's a sure bet I'm buying 'used'.

Jan 11, 2013 at 08:52 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Camera Crossroads

I agree with the majority here -- the 5D3 with grip. I have a 5D2 with grip and it is pretty comparative to my 1D-series bodies for heft.

I didn't have enough ready cash for the 5D3, plus I'm still hoping someday for a high MP body. So I bought a nice used 1Ds3 for $2300 from a forum member here, and am very happy for the time being. My two top cameras are the 1Ds3, followed closely for IQ by the 5D2 (with video, etc). I'm in a pretty good place for a year or two.

I definitely agree with you to go full frame. So your choices are 5D3, 1DX, or the older 1Ds3 if you can get a great deal on one.

Jan 11, 2013 at 09:19 PM
keoni068
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Camera Crossroads

My vote is for the 5D Mark III. As a father, I would not discount the importance of HD video, which the 1Ds III lacks. There are certain memories that are better captured on video, and having the option is always nice. Beyond that, the AF is phenomenal, the high ISO capabilities are excellent, and, as been said, it is an amazing all around camera. I, too, once owned a 1D Mark IV, but I could NOT grow to love the 1.3 crop factor. There is something magical about the 35mm/85mm combo on a full frame, which is lost on a 1.3 crop. Don't get me wrong, the 1DIV is no slouch, but IMHO, the pros of the 5D III outweigh every other Canon camera...other than the 1DX of course!

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Ghost
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Camera Crossroads

Gunzorro wrote:
I agree with the majority here -- the 5D3 with grip. I have a 5D2 with grip and it is pretty comparative to my 1D-series bodies for heft.

I didn't have enough ready cash for the 5D3, plus I'm still hoping someday for a high MP body. So I bought a nice used 1Ds3 for $2300 from a forum member here, and am very happy for the time being. My two top cameras are the 1Ds3, followed closely for IQ by the 5D2 (with video, etc). I'm in a pretty good place for a year or two.

I definitely agree
...Show more

Oh come on. You can easily afford a 5d3. Just sell one or two of your cameras from your mega inventory of cameras.

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Camera Crossroads

You're not going to easily find a good used 5D3 in Canada. But there are a lot of 5D2, 1D4 and 1Ds3's available.

What kind of price did you get for your 1D3, if I can ask?

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:34 PM
onegreatcity
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Camera Crossroads

keoni068, good point about video. I didn't use it often on my 7D but it was a nice feature.

Shutterbug2006, $1200. And you're right, finding a used 5D3 in Canada might be a rare thing indeed. But, here's one I missed so there's hope...

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1180939

Someone got a nice deal.

Jan 12, 2013 at 02:31 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password