Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Smoky Mountain Panoramas

garyf

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Smoky Mountain Panoramas

Below are some of the panos I took on a recent trip to the Smoky Mountains. All but one are handheld, forgot my Panosaurus 2.0 pano head at the town house when we went to Clingman's Dome :ugh: oh well.

Smokies from Clingmans Dome Observation Tower B&W by Gary.Fritz, on Flickr

Smokies from Clingmans Dome Observation Tower by Gary.Fritz, on Flickr

Smokies from Clingmans Dome Observation Tower by Gary.Fritz, on Flickr

Smokies from Clingmans Dome Observation Tower Ramp by Gary.Fritz, on Flickr

Smokies from Clingmans Dome Path by Gary.Fritz, on Flickr

Smokies from Clingmans Dome Parking Lot by Gary.Fritz, on Flickr

Grotto Falls by Gary.Fritz, on Flickr

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:29 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Smoky Mountain Panoramas

Hey Gary,

Hand held pano's are so much easier today with the better stitching software. You got some nice views. You got some pretty crazy clouds in the sky too. #1 to 3 are the best, but they feel a bit cut off on the bottom. I think having a complete layer of trees on the bottom would have anchored those really well.

We have a limit of 4 photo's in our threads here. I left the last 3 in your thread though because they all have a common issue, actually #4 thru 7 do, and that is they are over exposed and you have some blown highlights. In #4,5 and 6 the clouds are blown out, hopefully you have an exposure where the clouds are exposed for properly. It's important with landscapes to always be checking for blown highlights on the histogram. I keep my default screen the highlight screen so that any blown areas will blink at me. #7 doesn't really have a sky, but it feels too bright. You have lost some water detail, and some of the rocks feel too hot. Perhaps you pushed it too much when processing?

I hope that helps,

Jim

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:27 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Smoky Mountain Panoramas

nice set. Jim's suggestions are worth their weight in gold... I really thank him for taking the time to make these, because it helps all of us.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:55 PM
garyf

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Smoky Mountain Panoramas

Jim,

Thanks for the suggestions and sorry for posting too many images, I will keep that in mind for the next time.

I agree with many of the things you pointed out as well. As I was stitching them together I had the same feeling that if I have more of the trees at the bottom that they would have looked better. I will see what I can do to bring back some of the blown highlights in the sky on 4-6. And I agree about #7 feeling too bright, I think it might have been my processing, I'll try it again and see if I can improve it.

Thanks again!!

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:23 AM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Smoky Mountain Panoramas

JimFox wrote:
We have a limit of 4 photo's in our threads here. I left the last 3 in your thread though because they all have a common issue, actually #4 thru 7 do, and that is they are over exposed and you have some blown highlights. Jim

hmm...

Jan 14, 2013 at 12:16 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.