FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Someone slap me....

KibblesNbitz
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Someone slap me....

....and tell me to stop being a spoiled brat

So here's the deal. I posted a while back (last week of October) that I wanted to switch to Canon for my wedding work. I still do. I would have done it already, but shortly after I posted my plans, my whole area got destroyed by one pissed off Hurricane. My backyard is the beach, luckily my house is on a hill, otherwise I'd be homeless right now. Everything around me got destroyed though.

So anyways, I've been using this added time to think rationally about my switch to Canon. I had initially planned to get a 1DX and a 5D Mark II as a backup (I'd never use it actively, I hate using two cameras, it would only sit in a bag until the shit eventually hit the fan one day, although I'd be hoping that day never came)

But the more I think about it, I'm thinking it really makes more sense to just go with two 5D Mark III's with grips like most people pointed out in the original thread. I initially wanted the 1DX because I love full sized pro bodies, the weather sealing is great, the frames per second would come in handy in certain situations on engagement shoots, etc, and I often did nature photography (although I have a lot less time for it now) I still do a lot of landscape work in my spare time though, where the Mark III would be better than the 1DX. Plus, the silent mode on the 5D III is really nice.

I'm a primes guy, so for lenses, I would be getting:

17-40L
Sigma 35 (I'm usually a Canon/Nikon snob, but all accounts say the siggy is amazing, so why not!)
85L
135L
...and a 600RT Flash

I'm confident I could do an entire wedding with just a 35 and 85, so anything besides that is just gravy to me. I'd likely add some more lenses very soon after anyway, just for fun playing with some nice Canon lenses.

So here's the thing. If I sell all my Nikon stuff now (D3s, D700 backup, lenses, etc.) I could get all of that (2x 5D Mark III's + lenses) immediately, and it would be nearly exactly even $$$ wise, wouldn't have to pay a penny more than what I already have invested. If I really want the 1DX, I'd have to pay about $2k more over my current setup and use a 5D Mark II as backup for now.

The only thing that kind of concerns me is that I hear the 85L focuses slower with the 5D bodies that it does with the 1D series, does that still hold true for the Mark III? If so, that could be a big justification for the 1DX. Plus, it seems a shame to let a Mark III just sit in a bag not being used, even though it would make using it during a "shit hit the fan and I need my backup" situation much easier. Plus, I like the in camera HDR feature and I like the resolution the Mark III offers, its perfect....not too little, not too much.

I don't know...my brain keeps saying "Get the 5D Mark III's you moron, the hell with paying more!", but my emotions keep saying "Get the 1DX, why don't you want the best camera Canon offers right now you fool?!"

Someone slap some sensibility into me and tell me to stop being a 1DX fanboy please!

Jan 10, 2013 at 01:17 AM
Deanh
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Someone slap me....

I have no experience with the 85L on a 1DX, so no comment.

If you have the money to spare, get what you want or else you will be looking for a justification to upgrade soon.

If the 2K difference is a hardship, the 5DIII will do what you describe needing to be done.

Jan 10, 2013 at 01:39 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Someone slap me....

Based on my style of photography, I didn't get the 1DX, which is more designed for fast sport action photography for my taste. I do a fair amount of wildlife/bird photography and my 5D Mark III is just fine for that, including BIF shots. For mostly wedding, two 5D Mark IIIs would be a better setup IMHO. Well, not that you didn't know that already, huh ? Only you can decide.... and not anybody else what to go for.

The AF of the 85mm f/1.2 has a reputation of being slow. If it has to travel from infinity to the minimum focusing distance, then yes, it is not that zippy but you don't get encounter too many cases like that in real life shooting though. If the focusing range remains, let's say between 4 feet and 12 feet for people photography then it is definitely fast enough. I am speaking from experience here. Maybe you will be even pleasantly surprised by the speed. That being said, I agree that the 1DX should drive that lens faster than the 5D Mark III. To what extent? I don't know...

Hope this helps.

Jan 10, 2013 at 01:48 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Someone slap me....

The 1dx will focus all lenses faster... It's just that the 85 is really slow. As an alternative, how about a 5d3 and a 1d4. Put the 50mm on the 1d4 and you've got an 85? Put it on the 5d3 and you've for a 50

The one significant advantage of the 5d3 over the 1dx is the silent shutter. I found the 1 series shutter to be too loud for my style of work. I use the silent shutter all day now.

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:03 AM
svetljo

[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Someone slap me....

call me crazy, but ... :-)
i do not understand the part about the silent shutter
so before the mk3, you were not able to shoot due to the loud sound?

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:16 AM
dmahar
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Someone slap me....

K

My 5diii seems to focus my 85L faster and more consistently than my 5dii did. Can't comment on the 1dx.

Happy shopping

D

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:29 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Someone slap me....

svetljo wrote:

I had a 5dii previously which was still much quieter than the 1dx. When I tried a 1dx at a wedding I was actually getting looks from people in the church. I'm glad I wasn't at the front. My mates d3s was noticeably louder too.

The 5diii has opened up a new world of opportunity where I get a few shots before someone notices I'm there, whereas the 5dii I'd only get one chance. That really makes reportage much more effective

Jan 10, 2013 at 06:58 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Someone slap me....

svetljo wrote:

It is called "silent" mode but "discrete" mode is probably a more suitable name for it. I also use it as much as I can, even in multiple shot sequences.

Recently, a photo opportunity came up but the indoor lighting conditions were low. Although I set the camera at ISO3200, I only got 1/15 sec at f/ 2.8 and I didn't have my tripod with me. So, I took a few shots of the the same target using sequential, discrete mode of each composition while bracing myself as steadily as possible. At least one out of 4 or 5 shots turned out tack sharp without any visible camera/lens movement. Somehow, the discrete mode seems to minimize vibration of my setup. Sorry for the off topic .

Jan 10, 2013 at 08:12 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Someone slap me....

AGeoJO wrote:
... Somehow, the discrete mode seems to minimize vibration of my setup.

Well, it delays the mirror drop, right? Sort of like MLU, but different.

Jan 10, 2013 at 09:29 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Someone slap me....

Kibbles -- Hmmmm. Tough choice. I did my daughter's daytime wedding this summer and used two bodies -- one with super zoom and flash, and one with 50L and no flash, and I got great coverage and no lens changes or bag to carry -- I loved that. But if you only like one body, I understand, as that's what I do on events -- one body/one lens/flash.

BTW -- I love that 50L!

If I had the money, I'd be inclined to get the 1DX and have a 6D as a back-up for wedding/events. But nothing wrong with two 5D3's either. All have silent mode, which I would think is important for quiet functions -- flash is distracting enough, let alone a noisy drive.

Good luck deciding -- I don't see how you can go wrong.

Phil -- 50L on APS-H equals 65mm, not 85mm. Sorry!

Jan 10, 2013 at 09:45 AM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Someone slap me....

Consider yourself slapped. Buy the 2 5D Mark III's. One of them is just going to sit in the bag and you do not want to be fumbling with unfamiliar gear when the proverbial fan comes into play. Besides, you need/want the silent mode.

The Canon 85mm f/1.8 will focus quicker than the 1.2 at the loss of a stop.

Leave the 17-40 alone and get the EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Autofocus Lens for your weddings.

Get a 70-200 for your weddings also.

Jan 10, 2013 at 09:58 AM
mfreardon
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Someone slap me....

Wobble wrote:
you do not want to be fumbling with unfamiliar gear when the proverbial fan comes into play.

+1

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:08 AM
convergent
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Someone slap me....

Wobble wrote:
Consider yourself slapped. Buy the 2 5D Mark III's. One of them is just going to sit in the bag and you do not want to be fumbling with unfamiliar gear when the proverbial fan comes into play. Besides, you need/want the silent mode.

The Canon 85mm f/1.8 will focus quicker than the 1.2 at the loss of a stop.

Leave the 17-40 alone and get the EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Autofocus Lens for your weddings.

Get a 70-200 for your weddings also.

This is great advice.

I will also add that after shooting 3 generations of 1D series bodies and 1 generation of Nikon's equivalent, the 5d3 gripped is the closest thing I've seen to that build without it being a 1D series... so the experience should be similar. The AF engine is the same in the 5D3 and 1DX. So, unless you expressly need to shoot in terrible weather or need the burst rate of the 1DX, I think it would be a waste for what you plan to do, unless you simply have unlimited $$$$.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:21 AM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Someone slap me....

Gunzorro wrote:
Phil -- 50L on APS-H equals 65mm, not 85mm. Sorry!

It was early and I'm jet lagged I was thinking 1.6x crop..

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:13 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Someone slap me....

As for 85mm, the f/1.8 clearly focuses faster than the 85L. I've only played around a bit with the 85L (i.e. I've never owned it) but for my work - mostly action - I didn't find it better. As for the 5DIII vs the 1Dx, the 1Dx is a pro body with all that implies and that's what you've been shooting on the "dark side." I find I have to have a 1D series for heavy lifting and the work that is paid. The 5DIII is certainly a fine camera, but . . . It wasn't designed to be as durable, rugged, reliable as the 1Dx. YMMV and all that. I wasn't impressed with the 17-40 and traded if off for a 24-70mm f/2.8L which for me is more versatile. I don't shoot weddings much (frankly I'd rather never shoot one ) but when I have, the 24-70 has been the main lens along with the 70-200 f/2.8.

If it were my choice I'd go with the 1Dx.

Robert

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:30 PM
macentropist
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Someone slap me....

I cannot imagine shooting a wedding without my 70-200 mkII.

I too, would go with 2 MKIII's

Jan 10, 2013 at 01:07 PM
rebelshooter
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Someone slap me....

Go with 2 5D3's and look at the Sigma 85 1.4.
If the Sigma 35 is good enough to consider, why not the 85?
Also with the 2 5D3's you can rotate the cameras and not use the same one all the time.
Then, one is not "setting around and not getting used".

I am not a pro and do not shoot weddings, just a couple thoughts from a guy looking at things from a different perspective.

Jan 10, 2013 at 08:13 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Someone slap me....

KibblesNbitz wrote:
But the more I think about it, I'm thinking it really makes more sense to just go with two 5D Mark III's with grips like most people pointed out in the original thread. I initially wanted the 1DX because I love full sized pro bodies, the weather sealing is great, the frames per second would come in handy in certain situations on engagement shoots, etc

hmm, the D3s satisfies everything you want from the 1DX, and you already have the D3s

Jan 10, 2013 at 08:21 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Someone slap me....

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
It was early and I'm jet lagged I was thinking 1.6x crop..

Phil, I couldn't let that go!

I didn't know about the jet lag, bit it WAS early, and I figured you were thinking that.

Jan 10, 2013 at 08:21 PM
jrscls
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Someone slap me....

I find that the 85 L II focuses focuses fast enough on the 5D III, especially for portraits. For action, I break out the 70-200 II.

Jan 10, 2013 at 08:45 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.