Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Recent HS Hockey

Rich Images

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Recent HS Hockey

Looking for c/c.
Rich

Jan 09, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Ben Amato
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Recent HS Hockey

Rich: Exposure and colors look good. Horizons look off in most of them. Always nice to see the puck in shots but not always necessary. Might want to crop the hand out of the left side of #5. Thanks for posting.

Ben

Jan 09, 2013 at 12:49 PM
rddayton
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Recent HS Hockey

First of all, welcome to the Sports Corner. I think you will find it is an incredible valuable resource for those us who shoot pucks, balls, bats, sticks and associated gear. Amazing photographers here who are always willing to lend a hand.

As for the photos, think Ben was right on the money about color and exposure. Looks like you have a handle on that. The place where I believe you can make these better is in the area of positioning, composition, timing and cropping.

Photo #1. Really close to being a nice stock photo of the Goalie. But if you were up a step higher -- or down a step lower, you could eliminate the bar of his cage covering his eyes. Little things like that make a big difference. Straighten the horizons. Work off the verticals of the goal post and you are on your way to a real winner.

Photo #2. Again square it up on teh verticals of the goal post. But more than that, the bigger issue here is the lack of defining action. As someone who wasn't at the game, I have no idea what is going on here. Other than an attacker hitting the goalie, I see nothing. Seems to me the play is clearly going on elsewhere.

Photo #3. See comments on number #2. I THINK I know what happened here (defenders took out the forward for hitting the keeper) but I am only guessing. Too many backs to me to get the real emotion of the play.

Photo #4 Nice timing on the missed glove save. Straighten it up and it's a keeper.

Photo #5 Without question, your best shot. Love the clear cage and the display of emotion that is clearly visible on his face. Great eyes -- even though partially closed -- because they match up with the open mouth in celebration. The only thing I would change is go vertical on the crop. Elimintates the floating hand on the left portion of the frame and locks the viewer's focus entirely on your subject.

Hope that helps. Keep in mind that with all C&C, the opinions expressed here are those of just one many. Others will look at it differently -- and that's why this is such a great resource. Again welcome, and keep them coming. There are some great hockey shooters here who will be happy to lend their knowledge.

Rick

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Rich Images

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Recent HS Hockey

Thanks for the advice. It is well taken and much appreciated. I will pay closer attention to the horizons etc.

Question: I have the Canon 5D Mark II body with the 70-200 f/2.8 USM w/IS II. DOF is a battle being its so shallow and getting little in focus as a result. As far as focus points is concerned, my camera has 9 and I set the focus point to center. When a monster camera has 32 or 61 focus points is it relevant if that camera is also set to just the center focus point? Are the other 60 points of value?

Rich

Jan 10, 2013 at 04:02 PM
Trevorma
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Recent HS Hockey

Rich,

I am not a canon user so this may not be accurate.

Your shutter speed of 1/800th is fine, ISO is 4000. Maybe crank the ISO up a bit and shoot at 3.5 or 4 if you find your DOF is too shallow.....

Otherwise, I find find that some hockey players lean forward when skating, I tend to shoot centre point and place that point on the face or head...... if you shoot the chest there is a chance the face will me OOF if the player is leaning.....

Others on here will chime in as well, read and digest all of the info. This joint has helped many (myself included) with all of the ins and outs of sports photography

Trevor

Jan 10, 2013 at 05:24 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password