New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Which Tablet?

leighton w
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which Tablet?

Ok, I know this isn't EXACTLY photography related, but it is in a sense. I'm looking for a tablet to take with me shooting, and since there's SO many choices, I thought I'd see what you guys were using.

If your's isn't on the list tell me anyway.

Thanks!

Jan 09, 2013 at 06:44 AM
leftnose

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which Tablet?

Nexus 7. Small, super portable, very easy to type in portrait orientation (just like a smartphone) and will do everything you need/want it to do. Plus it's comparably cheap. I can toss mine I to my camera bag and not even know it's there.

Jan 09, 2013 at 07:16 AM
martines34
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which Tablet?

I would wait for the next generation of the smaller iPad.

No matter what anyone says there are more photographic apps that work with the iPad then any other tablet around.

It's all about proven apps.

Jan 09, 2013 at 07:31 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which Tablet?

Nexus 10, best screen available, and with the Snapseed app, its a no brainer. It makes for a great light weight portfolio/minor editing machine.

Jan 09, 2013 at 12:03 PM
Older Fossil
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which Tablet?

After thinking about what I wanted/needed and looking over current devices, I ended up buying an ASUS Transformer Infinity. I went with an Android tablet for the USB device support. The ASUS Transformer Infinity has a pretty nice 1920x1200 IPS display. The keyboard docking station turns it into a very lightweight travel substitute for a laptop or netbook. I can do email, web browse, and most importantly, backup the images off my CF cards to a portable USB harddrive.

Art

Jan 09, 2013 at 01:29 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which Tablet?

Older Fossil wrote:
After thinking about what I wanted/needed and looking over current devices, I ended up buying an ASUS Transformer Infinity. I went with an Android tablet for the USB device support. The ASUS Transformer Infinity has a pretty nice 1920x1200 IPS display. The keyboard docking station turns it into a very lightweight travel substitute for a laptop or netbook. I can do email, web browse, and most importantly, backup the images off my CF cards to a portable USB harddrive.

Art

That's a great tablet as well

Jan 09, 2013 at 04:21 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which Tablet?

I find the iPad Mini simpler to use than the Nexus 7 but it's possible I'm more used to the Apple interface from using an iPhone. That said I'd fully planned to wait for the 2nd gen iPad Mini which I expect will have Retina display but Santa had other plans. So it goes. YMMV

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Jan 09, 2013 at 04:42 PM
leighton w
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which Tablet?

Thanks for all the replies, it's interesting to see what everybody likes. As far as the iPad mini and the Nexus 7, do you find the size inhibiting when working with images?

Jan 09, 2013 at 04:53 PM
CaptainC

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which Tablet?

Is anyone using a tablet to assist with liveview shooting? I know that it can't be done with an iPad, but has anyone had any success feeding the HDMI out from their camera into a tablet streaming?

It'd be super cool to be able to set focus etc. on a 7-10" screen.

Jan 09, 2013 at 05:19 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which Tablet?

Well actually it can be done if you introduce a laptop in the mix. The camera is connected to the laptop via usb. You then have a piece of free server software on the laptop provided by ononesoftware: http://www.ononesoftware.com/products/dslr-camera-remote/. You have an app on the iPad called dslremote and it connects to the server software on the laptop. You can then live view, change camera settings and shoot from the iPad.

Jan 09, 2013 at 05:30 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which Tablet?

CaptainC wrote:
Is anyone using a tablet to assist with liveview shooting? I know that it can't be done with an iPad, but has anyone had any success feeding the HDMI out from their camera into a tablet streaming?

It'd be super cool to be able to set focus etc. on a 7-10" screen.

both platforms (android/ios) have multiple apps to do this. If you have a D600 and the wireless adapter, you can do it wirelessly with Nikons official app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nikon.wu.wmau&hl=en

Jan 09, 2013 at 05:37 PM
leftnose

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Which Tablet?

henryp wrote:
I find the iPad Mini simpler to use than the Nexus 7 but it's possible I'm more used to the Apple interface from using an iPhone. That said I'd fully planned to wait for the 2nd gen iPad Mini which I expect will have Retina display but Santa had other plans. So it goes. YMMV

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Yeah, I use a Samsung Galaxy S II phone so I'm more accustomed to Android than iOS. I do think the 7" form factor is much better than 10." More portable and easier to handle.

I also think the Nexus 7 is a better device than an iPad mini right now but if someone is accustomed to/invested in the Apple infrastructure, I wouldn't try to convince hat person to get a Nexus over an iPad. Nikon or Canon?

Jan 09, 2013 at 06:17 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Which Tablet?

leftnose wrote:
Nexus 7. Small, super portable, very easy to type in portrait orientation (just like a smartphone) and will do everything you need/want it to do. Plus it's comparably cheap. I can toss mine I to my camera bag and not even know it's there.

+1 I like the small size of the N7 a lot.

Jan 09, 2013 at 09:49 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Which Tablet?

Any of the Android tablets - because they have all the connectivity built-in without having to buy a lot of optional junk or mess with the settings.

The muni-USB port on mine allows me to connect, a HUB, a Keyboard, a mouse, a 2TB HDD, a game controller, to an actual 24" LCD monitor, and to my camera. And it all "just works" as it should.

Jan 10, 2013 at 01:00 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.