Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Shutter shake on MFT and choice of compact kit

Michael Gordon
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Shutter shake on MFT and choice of compact kit

After trying a friend's OM-D for a few days, I was convinced it was just the answer
for a more compact high IQ kit when I don't want to lug my 5DII and favorite alt lenses.
I even thought it might act as a grab & go cam like my aging G-9--configured just to my liking with CHDK hack. Trying the OM-D led to some odd results until the antivibration mode was engaged--generally used 1/8 sec that does lead to some shutter lag. Seems the Oly is the best with this shutter shake business:

http://cameraergonomics.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/micro-43-shutter-shock-revisited-omd-em.html

The Oly has perhaps the quietest shutter of MFT which seems to correlate with less shutter shake with susceptable lenses.

http://www.mu-43.com/f38/lumix-g-vario-pz-14-42-f-3-5-5-6-x-lens-review-20231/

Was considering the PZ14-42 just for the very compact kit, but perhaps it just doesn't perform well enough. The CA seems largly fixable. Is this a cocamami idea? Perhaps no way to avoid getting an RX100 or G-15 or some such--so may good choices these days. The Oly 12-50 isn't bad and the macro mode is nice but am drawn to the faster Panny 12-35/2.8 though it is a bit $$$.
Never heard of Shutter shake issue with XE-1 or NEX though an electronic first curtain should make the whole issue moot. At least Oly provides a way to mitigate the issue at the price of less responsive shutter.

Jan 09, 2013 at 01:05 AM
CalW
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Shutter shake on MFT and choice of compact kit

Coming from a 1Ds2 and L glass, the Pany 12-35 f/2.8 on my OM-D seems plenty small enough to me. I have tried several of the many slow kit zooms, and the poor IQ just makes the small size not worth it, for me. With the lenses I use the most, I don't think I have seen any of this "shutter shake" problem. But if it should become a problem, the shutter delay option detailed in the first link seems as if it should be acceptable, at least for stationary subjects, which are the bulk of what I do. My back and I are lovin' the smaller gear, and I have no regrets in selling the Canon gear. Thank you for bringing these links to my attention - interesting stuff!

Jan 09, 2013 at 01:50 AM
Michael Gordon
• •
p.1 #3 · Shutter shake on MFT and choice of compact kit

Thanks for commenting. It is reassuring that the Panny 12-35 makes the grade for you w/o discernable shutter shake. It seems very lens specific in severity with the minimal optimal vibration reduction delay setting also varying. I bet the next iteration
would have an electronic first curtain, but don't think I can wait. The PZ 14-42 in hand though is very cute.

Jan 09, 2013 at 10:16 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Shutter shake on MFT and choice of compact kit

I have never heard of this before. What shutter speeds and focal length combinations did you see it with?

Jan 09, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

misanthropic a
• •
p.1 #5 · Shutter shake on MFT and choice of compact kit

Hmm well I just tested this with my OM-D and the 25 1.4 at 1/40th, 1/50th, 1/80th and 1/160th on a tripod with 2s timer with both anti-shake on and off, and I don't see a difference at all other than anti-shake takes more time to fire (much longer blackout).

Jan 09, 2013 at 11:04 PM
CalW
• • •
p.1 #6 · Shutter shake on MFT and choice of compact kit

Carsten, the first link in the original post contains partial answers to your questions. Although I don't think I have been affected by this, at least with my OM-D E-M5 cameras and current lens set (possible exception - the Oly 40-150, which I use very little) the subject is interesting and I'd like to see more data and discussion. There appear to be some contradictions that lead me to think the "problem" (if indeed it is one) is insufficiently understood. It does seem that some camera shutters are more likely to cause "shake", and some lenses are more succeptable to it. And in general, "quiet" shutter design and "tight" lens design probably minimize it. I hope that by understanding all this better we can avoid some sort of hysterical, broadbrush, "mirrorless is no good" reaction.

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:21 PM
Jman13
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Shutter shake on MFT and choice of compact kit

I will see a slight effect of shutter shake from time to time with the OMD around 1/60 sec...if I'm thinking about it, I'll try and avoid that speed with mid-focal range lenses. Luckily, when it does crop up, it usually isn't enough to ruin an image, but rather just slightly softens it. Unlike the issue with the Panny 45-175, which would flat out blur images in certain shutter speed ranges.

Jan 10, 2013 at 03:16 PM
Michael Gordon
• •
p.1 #8 · Shutter shake on MFT and choice of compact kit

There was some odd probable shutter shake on my friends using the Oly 14-150 on the Om-D-- totally gone as far as we could tell with anti-vibration at 1/8 sec. Oly engineers clearly recognized the issue. I would hope a compendium of lenses affected and to what degree at what speed could be collected with the minimum anti vib setting to ameliorate it, but that is a tall order and not that likely to happen. Panny issued a software patch for the PZ 14-42 but that really didn't fix it well at all.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:46 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password