Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Keep D600 or D700 + new lens

happyant

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Keep D600 or D700 + new lens

I recently sold my D700 to fund a D600 as i wanted video and reduced weight (also quieter shutter is nice) but after having it for a few weeks i am starting to have second thoughts, due to the focus spread but mainly the ergonomics as it cramps my hand after a while when using heavy primes such as the Sigma 85mm 1.4, also i am not using video as much as i thought i would, its hard to follow a two year old whilst camera is on a tripod! (none of my lens are VR so shake is a problem handheld)

Now i have an opportunity to get my D700 back as the person i sold it to accidently bought two (won an ebay action as well he forgot about) and his wife would prefer a d600.. so i can swap and gain about $300 in the process.. with that $300 i can fund a new Sigma 35mm 1.4!

I am having such a hard time deciding as i really love the IQ and resolution coming out of the d600, and quieter shutter, but i wonder if a lens instead would be a better investment for now, and i can save up for a d800.

The other option is to get the battery grip, which i have read improves the ergonomics a lot..

Any thoughts that may help me in my decision making would be much appreciated

Jan 09, 2013 at 12:56 AM
rangefindr

p.1 #2 · Keep D600 or D700 + new lens

I would say it depends on what you enjoy shooting the most. If you're going to dabble a lot with low light or landscapes, then the iso performance and dynamic range will be worth the shortcomings. If you don't care for all of those pixels or the gains in image quality and want just a solid workhorse machine, then the D700 would be your ticket.

I'm not sure what kind of collection you're coming from now, but it sounds like you have a pretty well established kit with that 85 1.4. Of course investing in lenses rather than bodies is a good preposition and is generally the way to go, but in this case the difference is (rather) marginal.

Personally, I love the extra newer-generation features that the D600 entails, and would go with the battery grip to try to remedy the situation there. You're still not going to get the same control scheme, but it should at least help your hands a bit.

Jan 09, 2013 at 01:36 AM
happyant

p.1 #3 · Keep D600 or D700 + new lens

Thanks for the reply, i mainly shoot family/outings (have a two year old) as well as the occasional portrait session, oh and have a very casual wedding coming up, as well as the occasional electronic music festival i shoot for free entry

My lens kit is

Tamron 28-75 2.8 non BIM
Sigma 85mm 1.4
Cheapo Nikon 18-35 wide angle which i rarely use (pondering selling for the samyang 14mm)
Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR1

I had the Sigma 50mm but (stupidly) sold it.. missing a wider prime hence the want for the 35mm 1.4

Your right the difference is pretty marginal, having shot with the D600 i would probably miss the IQ a lot.. the dynamic range is amazing, i have been able to pull back seemily blown highlights etc that the D700 would have lost.

The quieter shutter is a real bonus with the D600, its tricky trying to shoot candid when they hear the almighty clack of the d700.. not a problem at the music festivals though!

Jan 09, 2013 at 01:45 AM
okafoja
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Keep D600 or D700 + new lens

happyant wrote:
I recently sold my D700 to fund a D600 as i wanted video and reduced weight (also quieter shutter is nice) but after having it for a few weeks i am starting to have second thoughts, due to the focus spread but mainly the ergonomics as it cramps my hand after a while when using heavy primes such as the Sigma 85mm 1.4, also i am not using video as much as i thought i would, its hard to follow a two year old whilst camera is on a tripod! (none of my lens are VR so shake is a
...Show more

Before you do anything please get the battery grip. For $50 you can buy a good third party grip. I cannot even imagine shooting D600 without the battery grip. Battery grip is a must. I just sold my D700 for D600 and when I first saw the D600 I thought it was a joke. It looks like a toy compared to my D700. Now that I have the battery grip, I actually love it a whole lot. I never thought I will say this but I also love the weight and the ergonomics. I have big hands but getting to all the controls is a breeze. Trust me once you get the battery grip you will change your mind.

D700 has better AF for sure but D600 is not far behind.

Jan 09, 2013 at 02:14 AM
HubbardJA
• • •
p.1 #5 · Keep D600 or D700 + new lens

Is there anything you can do with a D600 that you couldn't do with the D700? I'd take a D700 + lens over a D600 any day. Bodies are just not that important anymore, the D700 is more than good enough for just about any photographer.

-Jayson

Jan 09, 2013 at 02:26 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #6 · Keep D600 or D700 + new lens

Spend 2x as much money on hard drives and memory cards...

Keeping my D700's until the sun ceases to shine. Or til I have the $2k difference to buy a D3s. The former is much more likely.

HubbardJA wrote:
Is there anything you can't do with a D600 that you couldn't do with the D700?

Jan 09, 2013 at 02:28 AM
thedruid
• • •
p.1 #7 · Keep D600 or D700 + new lens

Nobody can make the decision but you, you will get a dozen different answers and which one do you go with?
I liked the files form my D700 but I never meshed with the ergo of the body. I like the feel of the D600/D7000 bodies in my hands, (they are medium/small size) and as I do a lot of city shooting this is what I carry. I carry it stripped down no grip.... I 'd love to carry a D4/D3x as they feel just right, lovely ergo and great files but it defeats the purpose for my work. So again as in the past I forgo the body for the file.

Jan 09, 2013 at 02:07 PM
Steve Beck
• • •
p.1 #8 · Keep D600 or D700 + new lens

HubbardJA wrote:
Is there anything you can do with a D600 that you couldn't do with the D700? I'd take a D700 + lens over a D600 any day. Bodies are just not that important anymore, the D700 is more than good enough for just about any photographer.

-Jayson

Yeah video. he mentioned he wanted to dabble in video.. Dynamic range... Time lapse... Larger cleaner prints... ISO performance to hit the major ones. D600 is a great step forward in technology. Don't get me wrong I liked my d700's alot. I'm very happy with my d600's.

Jan 09, 2013 at 02:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

happyant

p.1 #9 · Keep D600 or D700 + new lens

Thanks for the replys, I will get the battery grip and keep the d600 I think

Edited on Jan 15, 2013 at 10:27 PM · View previous versions

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:16 PM
rioni
• • •
p.1 #10 · Keep D600 or D700 + new lens

I'd keep the d600. . I love mine

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:20 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #11 · Keep D600 or D700 + new lens

HubbardJA wrote:

-Jayson

+1 Amen Brother!

Don't want or need video from my Nikon - have video equipment for video.

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:20 PM
azbill
• •
p.1 #12 · Keep D600 or D700 + new lens

HubbardJA wrote:

-Jayson

VERY well stated.

Jan 16, 2013 at 01:05 AM
hijazist
• • •
p.1 #13 · Keep D600 or D700 + new lens

It's a matter of personal preference... Exactly the same argument that ensued between the D300 and the D7000... IQ & ISO vs. Ergonomics & controls. I bet you some of the people who are bashing the D600 now used to argue for the D7000 when compared to the D300.

All of us are biased depending on what we're shooting with and you won't find an objective reply here. If you want something objective go to DxOMark and see each one's scores and decide for yourself. With the MB-D14 the D600 feels so solid, and if you want a lightweight package you can unattach it and you have a street photography kit. the only advantage I see with the D700 is the AF system and 8 FPS with the grip.

Jan 16, 2013 at 02:24 AM
RRRoger
• • •
p.1 #14 · Keep D600 or D700 + new lens

Either way, I would save for the D800.
My wife likes the D600 but it also cramps my hand.
The extra features and handling of my D800 are more than worth the price to me.

Jan 18, 2013 at 07:23 AM
happyant

p.1 #15 · Keep D600 or D700 + new lens

So i ended up changing my mind again and swapping back to the d700, I only lost out postage overall.

I could only afford either keep the d600 or get the new lens , I decided the lens is a better investment.

I will save up and get the d800 eventually but for now the d700 will serve me well, thanks for all the replys!

Jan 18, 2013 at 07:37 AM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #16 · Keep D600 or D700 + new lens

Both are great cameras. We're sticking with our used D700s for wedding and personal work.

Jan 21, 2013 at 09:37 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password