New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 6D and Eye-Fi cards

coppertop
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 6D and Eye-Fi cards

Curious.. which is better on the battery? Using the internal WiFi on the 6D or a Eye-Fi card?

Jan 08, 2013 at 07:40 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 6D and Eye-Fi cards

Dunno, 6d seems to have a dedicated eye-fi menu

Jan 08, 2013 at 08:03 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 6D and Eye-Fi cards

yeah i dont understand this...
Something I haven't gotten aroudn to setting up is the (i think?) ability of the 6D to do direct uploads to online hosting/sharing sites like flickr, which i think i read about in the manual. If this works, there REALLY is no point for eye-fi cards with the 6D.

Jan 08, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 6D and Eye-Fi cards

coppertop wrote:
Curious.. which is better on the battery? Using the internal WiFi on the 6D or a Eye-Fi card?

Just think about it for a moment.

The latest eye-Fi card (which is still ONLY 16gb) is about $90 . And a 2nd LP-e6 (genuine) is $60 . So even if the internal wifi was twice as power hungry as a wifi card (which I doubt) then your still better off using the wifi built in as you can spend the other 30 bucks on more memory

Jan 09, 2013 at 03:59 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 6D and Eye-Fi cards

The camera was built with its' own wifi in mind; hence the plastic top cover. Not sure if a wifi card in the compartment would have as good of reception/signal through grip and hand as from the top of the camera (it's in the prism hump).

I doubt it would even be worth testing/researching further.

Jan 09, 2013 at 07:44 AM
coppertop
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 6D and Eye-Fi cards

Sorry... should have added that I already have a Eye-Fi card. Just curious hoping someone who has been there/done that might be able to offer some insight.

My guess is that the Eye-Fi card, however minimal, is going to draw power constantly. The internal can be shut off when not in use. Then again, the Eye-Fi could be dormant until an image is sent to it. Just don't know enough about the two, so I ask.

Jan 09, 2013 at 08:18 AM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 6D and Eye-Fi cards

You can turn off the eye-fi usage in the camera menu, in every camera that i've messed with that has eye-fi compatibility.
The real issue(s) I had with eye-fi were poor write speeds and lack of reliability. Sometimes it would upload, sometimes it wouldn't. Sometimes it would lose files on the card between changing settings.
All these issues combined made me afraid to rely on the Eye-Fi for anything but messing around. I wound up giving it away with a camera I sold.

Jan 09, 2013 at 11:34 AM
billcat

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 6D and Eye-Fi cards

This is very silly, but I did a quick video with the 6D an iPad and ShutterSnitch:
http://youtu.be/4oJx8BF8Nrw

With built in WiFi working well you can avoid having a WiFi card. It worked across the room well. I will continue testing.

I'm not sure how much power the WiFi uses, but it seems to not drain the battery when you turn the camera off. The GPS stays on when the camera is off.

Bill

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:27 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.