Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

j_ross23

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

Want to expand my photography a bit more and get back to the roots of it. I decided I want to shoot film and pick up a Nikon Fm2 for that old classic feel.

For the people who shoot with the older Nikon film bodies, what do I need to get? I know very little on the subject.

Not sure as well as to where to buy film and get it processed.

How does it meter? What is a light meter? As well as any other things I need to know.

Thanks!

Jan 08, 2013 at 09:59 PM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #2 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

all you need is a roll of film.

Jan 08, 2013 at 10:36 PM
JaKo
• • •
p.1 #3 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

j_ross23 wrote:
I decided I want to shoot film and pick up a Nikon Fm2 for that old classic feel.
Not sure as well as to where to buy film and get it processed.
How does it meter? What is a light meter? As well as any other things I need to know.

As per Zebrabot: all you need is a roll of film. IMO, BH Photo has a great selection of film (I switched to BH from 'the other NY photo store' just for that reason)
Over a year ago I decided to make the same move as you. I am positive you will love it.
In my case I got Nikon FE2, which has A-priority as well as fully manual function. Test metering of your 'new' SLR against your D7000 to ensure it exposes correctly. Also, Nikon FM3A may be a great option for a few $$$ more.
Have fun!

Jan 08, 2013 at 11:56 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #4 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

The cameras are cheap and plentiful.

I've got an FE, FE2, 2x F3's, a F100 and a few 'fun' cameras like a lomo fisheye.

Depending on what you like to shoot, a camera with a built in meter can be very useful.

My favorite camera would be the F3, followed closely by my FE2.

I shoot all kinds of film, mostly black and white. I've got 1 camera loaded with some asa 100, one with 1600 (or 400 that I am pushing) and usually a camera with some colour in it.

Jako, what kind of strap have you got there? Looks nice

Jan 09, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Avi B
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

If you already have AF lenses and want a camera body that works properly with "G" type lenses (those without aperture control on the lens) then the F100 is a great camera for not a lot of money to use.

However, to shoot film, all you need is film One roll, at a time Try Tri-X (BW film) 400

Jan 09, 2013 at 01:07 AM
j_ross23

p.1 #6 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

Thanks guys for the replies!

Did a couple hours of research on how film works, scanners, and other miscellaneous stuff.

Your replies really help me, thanks for the input.

Jan 09, 2013 at 02:24 AM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #7 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

For scanning, I use a cheap Epson V500. At less than $150, it is about as good as I could do with a flatbed, and until I can save up enough pennies for a Nikon Coolscan, it does the job just fine.

Film, well, you can read up on that till the cows come home. Best thing is to get a few rolls of a few different types, and shoot them. Films can all be developed in different ways, so I find that trying to find sample images of different films online is a wasted effort. We could both shoot the same type of film, but depending on how it was dev'd, it could look completely different.

Dylan

Jan 09, 2013 at 02:41 AM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

I have an FM2 and 50mm f/1.4, and its a wonderful camera.

Jan 09, 2013 at 03:32 AM
Two23
• • • •
p.1 #9 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

I am an avid photo gear collector and have some thoughts although I don't buy anything newer than the 1950s myself. The two cameras I'd consider for what you want are the (1) Nikon F3HP (2) FM2n. These are two of the best cameras Nikon ever made, and are still a good choice today! For film, I'd suggest Ilford HP5. It's b&w, ISO 400 and gives a classic look. It's also forgiving of errors. Finally, processing. I'd find a place as local as possible that can do b&W film, and simply pay to have them scan it to a CD. If you find you really get into it, you can then start looking for a scanner etc.

Kent in SD

Jan 09, 2013 at 04:03 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #10 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

Also another body to consider is the N80...a lot of people call it the mini f100...has a lot of the same features, minus the build qual, sync speed, and frame rate...but it handles just like a digital body, and they are DIRT cheap...i bought mine on ebay for $25 in EX condition....thing is really sweet...it gave me the itch to switch to FX digital...

As a side note, good luck trying to break the habit of looking at the back of the camera when you wanna review your images...i literally do it every time i pick up my film body... :-/

Jan 09, 2013 at 04:28 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JaKo
• • •
p.1 #11 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

DTOB wrote: Jako, what kind of strap have you got there? Looks nice

It's a strap by a company "Annie Barton" out of Hong Kong (fantastic customer service, BTW) This particular strap, from their 1972 Collection, is 'Rollei Style Distressed Leather'
I use it for FE2 and D800E and I am possitive it can handle heavy DSLR+lenses.

http://www.barton1972.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_7&products_id=26
http://www.anniebarton.com/1972.php

Jan 09, 2013 at 05:32 AM
brockwhittaker
• • •
p.1 #12 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

I have the Nippon Kogaku F with a 5cm f/1.4 NK lens. The pair is great. The only beef I have is the min. exposure speed of 1/1000th

Jan 09, 2013 at 05:42 AM
DontShoot
• • • •
p.1 #13 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

If you already know the basic manual operation of your DSLR, a film camera operates using the same principle of exposure. Get a cheap FE or FE2, load the film, advance it, balance the exposure using the needle, manual focus, and shoot! When you're done, pull out the film, drop it off and come back for the prints. You can even use slide film (like Velvia 100F - my favorite) and get slides, which is cool to look at. You can even get some cheapo Kodak 35mm film at 99cents store and play with it. That's all there is to it. have fun!!

Jan 09, 2013 at 06:23 AM
tedbare
• •
p.1 #14 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

You've already got Nikon AF lenses... buy my F100 !!

Jan 09, 2013 at 06:58 AM
Zebrabot
• • •
p.1 #15 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

If anyody in Chicago wants to get started in developing and printing in black and white just send me a PM. First roll of film is on me.

Jan 09, 2013 at 07:36 AM
rexx714
• •
p.1 #16 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

Untitled by Son V Hanoi, on Flickr
An FE can be great start into film.

Jan 09, 2013 at 07:20 PM
Steve464

p.1 #17 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/

or

http://www.digitaltruth.com/

Have all the film/supplies for adventures in BW film that are still available today

Jan 09, 2013 at 08:03 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #18 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

rexx714 wrote:
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5184/5549564576_5d72bf8410_b.jpg
Untitled by Son V Hanoi, on Flickr
An FE can be great start into film.

Man that is sexy...i wish they made a digital version :-/

Jan 09, 2013 at 08:25 PM
mike-in-ak
• •
p.1 #19 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

New member on this forum. Been over on nikonians for years.

The problem with film Nikon bodies is they last forever. I still have my F body as well as an FE, FE2, and a recently acquired F4s. Ran a roll of B&W through the F4s just after I picked it up to verify functions.

Jan 09, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Erie Patsellis
• •
p.1 #20 · How to get into Nikon Film Photography?

Yeah, their durability is a problem, I still have the F I bought when I was a teen in the early 70's, along with a whole lot of it's cousins....hard to explain to the wife, other than the emotional attachment part. (I still have the Rolleiflex I used my Senior year as well)

Erie

Jan 10, 2013 at 04:12 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password