Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2013 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It B...

threepairsphot

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

I had to have my D3S and 200-400 lens repaired. I brought both to a local authorized Nikon repair facility. I was told right up front that the repair could take as long as 6 weeks, based on how quickly Nikon would send them the parts. So authorized repair centers may be better to deal with, as they are local businesses (for the most part), but one is still at the mercy of Nikon for the parts.

Jan 09, 2013 at 06:57 PM
Diavolo
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

lxdesign wrote:
yup...... free speach right? I will say no more...

So it's OK for you to exercise your right of freedom of speech but it's not OK for the original poster to exercise his?

Jan 10, 2013 at 01:41 PM
boshek
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

Diavolo wrote:
So it's OK for you to exercise your right of freedom of speech but it's not OK for the original poster to exercise his?

+1

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:26 PM
boshek
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

I would ASSume so, I always do things to my gear that arent warranteed!! They are authorized.

Jan 10, 2013 at 02:28 PM
Javier Munoz
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

Zebrabot wrote:
and?

write a bad yelp review, go on about how important you are too.

This sound an awful lot like a case of sour grapes.

I feel for the OP. First he gets screwed by Nikon and then he gets bashed for venting his frustration. But hey, I am sure that many people around here thinks that Nikon service is going to improve by patting them in the back anytime they screw their customers.

Jan 10, 2013 at 06:12 PM
krickett
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

I feel for the OP. Nikon should make this right.

At the same time though, you never lead a complaint with "I am ______________." It sounds pompous. Perhaps it's true that he is in an important shoot, and needs wireless functionality, but that's not what he said. He said: 'Look at my important credentials.'

FWIW, I sent my stuff in to Nikon 3x, and the turnaround time was around 10 days each time. I suppose I'd be happier if it were faster... but relative to the warranty claims I've filed for my Samsung TV (3 months), and a Kenmore Washer (3 months), it was a relatively smooth process. So far, no complaints. Hearing all these bad stories though makes me hesitant to send stuff in.

Jan 10, 2013 at 06:40 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

Diavolo wrote:

Obviously, it's OK to complain about Nikon service, it happens all the time. People will rant about many subjects on FM, but, when somebody exercises their right to rant, it frees others to exercise their rights to counter that rant.

Jan 10, 2013 at 06:42 PM
Javier Munoz
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

krickett wrote:
At the same time though, you never lead a complaint with "I am ______________." It sounds pompous. Perhaps it's true that he is in an important shoot, and needs wireless functionality, but that's not what he said. He said: 'Look at my important credentials.'

I agree with you, but it is not as if would be the first time we read a self-promotion jab in a post. To come up all jerky (not you... the others) on someone just because of that is rather poor-spirited

Jan 10, 2013 at 08:08 PM
LivLif
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

Thanks everyone for the words of advice and support.

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:25 PM
lexdiamonnyc
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

geez, good thing I'm within driving distance and can hand deliver/pick up everything!!!! never had a problem doing it that way.

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

anthonysemone
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

ever think of using these guys:

http://nikoncamerarepair.com

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:56 PM
papageno
• • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

For as long as I can remember (going well back into EPOI) Nikon service has been quite consistent. Incredibly uncaring and unconcerned, despite the presence (on occasion) of quality people.

It is one of the drawbacks of owning Nikon equipment, and is a good reason to get to know your local Nikon approved repair facility.

I do find it disturbing that anyone who shots for money is not equipped with reasonable, workable backup equipment. During my career-shooting 35mm-I always had at least three identical bodies available to me, because switching always happens at the worst possible time. identical bodies mean that your moment of panic/hysteria is minimized when all controls do the same thing at the same place.

It also means focal lengths that overlap in case a lens goes belly up.

Jan 11, 2013 at 05:49 AM
jerbear00
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

Zebrabot wrote:
and?

write a bad yelp review, go on about how important you are too.

Not sure I understand the malicious intent behind this reply. ^^^^^^^

OP feel free to vent away. Someone might learn something or think of a work around

Jan 11, 2013 at 05:55 AM
jerbear00
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

krickett wrote:
FWIW, I sent my stuff in to Nikon 3x, and the turnaround time was around 10 days each time. I suppose I'd be happier if it were faster... but relative to the warranty claims I've filed for my Samsung TV (3 months), and a Kenmore Washer (3 months), it was a relatively smooth process. So far, no complaints. Hearing all these bad stories though makes me hesitant to send stuff in.

Apples and Oranges my friend. Compared to the competition this is a bit weak on Nikons part. Canon regularly turns around in 2 days give or take

Jan 11, 2013 at 05:58 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

My personal perception is that:

1. Canon service is significantly better and faster than Nikon service.

2. Canon stuff has more copy-to-copy variation and lower quality tolerances than Nikon, thus needs to be sent in more often. Nikon stuff needs far fewer service visits.

To me, #2 is far more important than #1. It's one of the reasons I shoot Nikon. My actual service experiences have been pretty good, but the data out there (see the LensRentals comparisons) strongly suggests #1 above. So when something really does need service, I expect bad service from Nikon and I wish it were better... but I won't switch over it.

Jan 11, 2013 at 03:04 PM
jjf88
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

Liv

Never had any issues with NPS over the past few years. They had a bad spell when digital went more mainstream when the D1 series came out, but they got over that.

Since your having an issue, have you called NPS to get a loaner? That is one thing the excel in. They once dropped the ball getting me a loaner, realized their error, rushed the repair and had it UPS'd overnight Saturday Delivery on their dime. And this was during the Holidays !! Pretty darn nice of them do to that.

Best of luck to you

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Joseph Garcin
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

Jonathan wrote:
It's a sad day when dpreview syndrome creeps in here.

+100

Jan 12, 2013 at 01:02 AM
Red G8R
• •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

Very unfortunate for the OP.
Here is a good story about Nikon Canada service. After damaging this customer's D3s, he was given a D4.

http://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=349424

Jan 12, 2013 at 03:28 AM
311erin
• •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

Unacceptable! I guess if those who have issue with Nikon service make enough noise, hopefully things will improve. As Roger said, Sigma did, heck I remember when Canon had issues. Hopefully NikonUSA gets their head out of their ass. No excuses, but I'm sure the release of what 4? 5? new cameras with marginal QC all in one year didn't help. Actually, this begs the question, should Nikon Japan be blamed for inferior product? Certainly NikonUSA couldn't have anticipated the rash of issues with all the new releases and properly planned for them? Nikon followed the sell now, ask for forgiveness later mantra. It would be interesting to sit in on their management committee meetings and find out exactly what is going on.

Sorry for the aside, but you need to keep yelling at someone (professionally) until to you get to someone who cares IMHO.

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:24 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

davidnholtjr wrote:
Sorry to hear about your problems.

I have not sent anything into Nikon for a year or so, but when I did I had no problems. Got my item back fixed and working great and turn around time was pretty fast (less then 3 weeks)

+1 (but thinks do change) I had no problems with El Segundo

Jan 12, 2013 at 11:54 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password