Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2013 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It B...

LivLif
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

Lots of good info here guys. Let me make something clear. I did not state I am "photographing the presidential inauguration" because I want to look "important". The purpose was to show how important it was to me to have the wireless functionality at 100%. I agree that it doesn't matter who u are and what u do. However, there is a reason why Nikon has NPS and requires approval conditions to become part of that program. I have a backup camera but having one doesn't justify what happened.

Jan 08, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Almass
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

I am not clear whether the OP send his equipment under the NPS repair system or not and whether he followed the correct procedure?

I am a UK NPS and the repair procedure to send gear is crystal clear with specific forms and labels to be used.

I checked with another NPS member in the States and they seem to have a similar procedure as in this Pdf found on the web:
http://www.nikonpro.com/media/NPS_repair_form.pdf

US and UK NPS members (as well as all other countries) have their equipment registered with NPS and their NPS membership pack contains all necessary forms and labels.
While it is possible to loose a piece of equipment in transit but the accompanying forms reveal in detail all the shipped equipment serial numbers and such!

So in case NPS did receive a package, it is standard procedure to check package content against the Repair form attached and a copy is with the customer and subsequently contact the customer if the content of the package does not conform to the Repair form......Unless it was not sent as NPS repairs with no specific forms?

Jan 08, 2013 at 11:31 PM
LivLif
• • •
p.2 #3 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

Camera is registered with NPS and was sent in via NPS Priority Repair service. NPS repair form and receipt were rubber banded to the camera and lens.

Jan 08, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Almass
• •
p.2 #4 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

You should definitely write a strong worded letter to NPS Mgmt.

Jan 08, 2013 at 11:58 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.2 #5 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

davidnholtjr wrote:
Sorry to hear about your problems.

I have not sent anything into Nikon for a year or so, but when I did I had no problems. Got my item back fixed and working great and turn around time was pretty fast (less then 3 weeks)

lol, 3 weeks?

i shot canon for 10 years and currently shoot nikon. I sent many big ticket items to Canon for repair and their turn around time was/is a week or less as a CPS member.

i have yet to send something to Nikon and i could not be without my equipment for 3 weeks. bummer.

Jan 09, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Ghost
• • • •
p.2 #6 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

Almass wrote:
You should definitely write a strong worded letter to NPS Mgmt.

Meh it might get lost too.

Jan 09, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Almass
• •
p.2 #7 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

Ghost wrote:
Meh it might get lost too.

LoL.

Jan 09, 2013 at 12:10 AM
Jonathan
• • • •
p.2 #8 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

scottam10 wrote:
+1

OP has every right to complain. That's pretty bad customer service by any standard, let alone for a so-called professional membership which should give you premium service.

Agree with writing to Nikon VP

Well put. I'm glad to see someone support a good standing member here. I count at least 5 people bitching instead of being supportive. If my D4 got lost I'd be wild, and I'd like to thinkl if I vented a bit on this forum, the last thing I'd get would be these stupid damn remarks.

It's a sad day when dpreview syndrome creeps in here.

I know the op well. Good guy and not one to toot his horn.

I've been here 10 years and this is getting worse by the day. No need of it. Knock it off or don't comment at all.

This negative garbage atttacking someone who is just telling what he went through is uncalled for.

The 1st time it happens to me, I'm gone for good from here.

Good luck Chris. I'm about to send my D4 in and this does make me worry a bit, but Melville has always come through for me.

Jan 09, 2013 at 12:23 AM
mikereid27

p.2 #9 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

I'd be pissed and want to vent to. If you dont like what he had to say you could have stopped reading instead of giving him a hard time. I'm all ears bro. That's what this is for. Open forum. That sucks big ones what happened. Hope it works the second time.

Jan 09, 2013 at 12:27 AM
joeisayo
• • •
p.2 #10 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

Jon_Doh wrote:
If you are shooting something as important as the Presidential Inauguration then you should be shooting with Canon

Just like the current white house photographer Pete Souza and previous WH shooter, Eric Draper

Jan 09, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kwoodard
• • • •
p.2 #11 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

Your experience is similar to mine with Nikon Service. Granted I am not a NPS member, nor am I a pro by any stretch, but I paid good money for the product and the warranty should be honored as written. Losing any item is unacceptable. I don't care if its a $4 part or a $6000 camera... I hope Nikon makes it right and as quickly as possible.

My D7000 was in repair for 6 weeks (store had receipt from USPS stating the item was signed for, it took two weeks to show in the Nikon system), when adding in shipping times, I was out for two months. My local retailer damaged the sensor during a routine cleaning (I was an early adopter of the body, I had the oil drop issue on the sensor). Put a scratch in the sensor bad enough that it showed up on every picture, regardless of the shot. Store paid for the repair, but it was brutal how long it took to be repaired.

Jan 09, 2013 at 01:00 AM
jim allison
• • •
p.2 #12 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

If you google the NY better business bureau you will find that Nikon Service has an F rating. I was one of the original Nikon tech reps and can't begin to understand the lack of concern with reputation, by current Nikon management! The company was built on service to professional photographers. Now, they don't even return phone calls and it is next to impossible to speak to anyone in management. They have revamped their product line and are selling a lot more product
in the mass market, but they don't have the infrastructure to support their increased sales.
If they were intelligent, they would stop investing in Ashton Kutcher and start investing in regaining their formerly great reputation.

Jan 09, 2013 at 01:30 AM
traylorc
• •
p.2 #13 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

jim allison wrote:
If they were intelligent, they would stop investing in Ashton Kutcher and start investing in regaining their formerly great reputation.

Jim I agree with you. But unfortunately, Nikon has no incentive to worry about their reputation we continue to buy their products.

The OPs story makes me think twice about sending in my D4 for any servicing...

Jan 09, 2013 at 02:33 AM
boshek
• • •
p.2 #14 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

why do you guys bother sending gear to Nikon when there is authorized service that is as good as it gets they do everything Nikon should be doing, but dont care to. I ship my gear to chicago when i can walk it to the Melville office. that should be some indication what I think of Nikon's Melville service center!! APS in Chicago was great with my lens repair.

Jan 09, 2013 at 12:25 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.2 #15 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

I always like when Fanboys have something totally meaningless to say, like "Nikon service was great 5 years ago when I sent my lens in. You're a jerk for claiming it's bad now." Yep, Nikon had the best service once upon a time. not anymore. Also it's a Nikon USA problem. Those who live in the EU, Great Britain, etc. don't have to deal with it. At least not as much.

I like the Stockholm Syndrome comment. Three weeks is not 'quick' turnaround time. Canon, as mentioned above, usually does 3-5 days. Heck, even Tamron GUARANTEES 3 day turnaround. Tamron. Yet here we are going "I got great service - it was done in 3 weeks".

Jan 09, 2013 at 01:09 PM
Diavolo
• •
p.2 #16 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

lxdesign wrote:
Who cares who you are .... contact Nikon and bitch to them. Honestly tired of hearing people complain about Nikon service here in this forum. You got a problem - tell them, not us.

So you replied to a thread about someone complaining about Nikon service by complaining about someone complaining about Nikon service?

Jan 09, 2013 at 01:40 PM
umsl12
• •
p.2 #17 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

Thanks for sharing . That service was really bad. Nikon is going down hill both in quality control and customer services. Next time if i send my camera for cleaning, I will ship with signature requirement.

Jan 09, 2013 at 04:31 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.2 #18 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

OP is an NPS member. I would expect priority treatment else why even bother to be NPS or whatever Canon's equivalent is. It is because working pros need a strong support system backing them up so that they can do what they do best.... take photos.

This could be endemic to Nikon USA.

Just like the current white house photographer Pete Souza and previous WH shooter, Eric Draper

There's a great video documentary on Pete Souza titled "The President's Photographer". Interesting watch about the ins and outs of photographing the president.

BTW, the Pope's official photographer shoots with Nikon. There's also a documentary on that too. But I forgot the title.

Jan 09, 2013 at 04:49 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

Diavolo wrote:
So you replied to a thread about someone complaining about Nikon service by complaining about someone complaining about Nikon service?

yup...... free speach right? I will say no more...

Jan 09, 2013 at 05:48 PM
Thorsten
• • •
p.2 #20 · Nikon LOST My D4!!! Found It A Week Later. Then Sent It Back Broken.

boshek wrote:
why do you guys bother sending gear to Nikon when there is authorized service that is as good as it gets they do everything Nikon should be doing, but dont care to. I ship my gear to chicago when i can walk it to the Melville office. that should be some indication what I think of Nikon's Melville service center!! APS in Chicago was great with my lens repair.

Do they do warranty work free of charge as well?

Jan 09, 2013 at 06:13 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password