New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · LR4 B&W Collections Issue

Cphoto1954
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LR4 B&W Collections Issue

I have a lot of TIFF files which are 16-bit Grayscale images. I am attempting to make a “Collection” of just those images, separate from any color images, but I'm having no luck.

I started with Lightroom ver.1 some years ago and have upgraded through the years to my current ver. 4.3. I’ve searched the web and this forum but to no avail.

All I can find leads me to selecting the “Treatment” = B&W. That only seems to find RAW files which I have modified with the B&W development settings (within LR4). The attached screen shot here shows the only option in the Lightroom "Collections" that I can find.

Any suggestions much appreciated. Thank you!

Jan 08, 2013 at 11:08 AM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LR4 B&W Collections Issue

Did you keyword the conversions?

Jan 08, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LR4 B&W Collections Issue

This won't help for existing images but it may be something for you to consider for new conversions:

http://morethanwords.be/blog/en/a-quick-lightroom-tip-for-bw-photographers/

Beyond that, I think you are stuck with re-tagging the existing images or finding some other characteristic that more-or-less matches the same images. For example, you should be able to filter for TIF files. If most of your TIF images are B&W, that might help; if you have a ton of TIFs in color, not so much. I would suggest going through all of the filter options and see if there is one that, for whatever reason, selects a group of images that is similar to your B&W group. Even if filtering in this way does not do a perfect selection, it may be a good way to re-tag, at least compared to doing it image-by-image.

Jan 08, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Cphoto1954
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LR4 B&W Collections Issue

I do have a lot of TIFF images both in Color and B&W.

Sbeme - Good suggestion but unfortunately I was trying to avoid adding keywords image by image to the many I already have.

Eyeball - Thanks that is a pretty good solution! It seems to be the quickest route to an end. Not perfect, but better than I have now. I searched the web for some time and did not see that one.

Seems crazy that Adobe can not seperate the files based on RGB or Grayscale images. Don't you think? I mean they did designed the software.

Jan 08, 2013 at 01:49 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LR4 B&W Collections Issue

It would be nice if Adobe could separate the files as you suggested, akin to using metadata to sort.
But I think this was an avoidable error that is unfortunately time-consuming to correct and I am not aware of an easy fix.
Why were you trying avoid adding keywords? It is painless to select a slew of images and attach keywords. A bit more time-consuming to add them individually as you go, but I think its the best solution going forward.
What could speed up a fix now? Not sure, but I might go to library mode, find All Pictures, set the thumbnails to the smallest size to view, set preferences to build lower quality thumbnails. Then I would select the BW's and apply whatever filtering or collections method(s) you prefer. Colors, keywords, collections, etc.
If you do learn of an easier post hoc fix, let us know.

Scott

Jan 08, 2013 at 03:29 PM
Cphoto1954
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LR4 B&W Collections Issue

My normal workflow is to take a RAW color image from LR4 into NIK Silver Effects Pro, work on it and when done it drops back into LR4 in Develop mode.

So for me (knowing what I know today) to just hit the "V-key" is the quickest way.

With marking keywords I would have to get back into the "Library" mode, select the spray can, and then find the keyword. So it's more time consuming and those seconds add up.

As I process quite a few images I just hate the thought of having to remember every single time to mark the file in some way.

Thanks so much for your input.

Jan 08, 2013 at 04:27 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.