Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · 40D, 50D, 60D, 7D, 5Dc, glass, best upgrade?

DynaSport
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 40D, 50D, 60D, 7D, 5Dc, glass, best upgrade?

I have been shooting with a 20D for years and have actually been pretty happy with it. My main complaint being focus accuracy from time to time, which I have never been totally sure if it was a lens issue or a camera issue.

I would consider myself an enthusiast, but not a gear junkie at all. I have a limited amount of money to spend on photography and I try to spend it wisely. Lens wise, I have a Sigma 70-200 2.8, a Tamron 28-75 2.8, a Canon 50 1.8, and a Canon 85 1.8.

Last year, in my quest to have a smaller camera to carry around when I don't want to lug the 20D and lenses, I bought an Olympus E-PM1. I think that was a mistake, however, as I don't like using the camera as much as I thought I would and I'm not getting the results out of it that others seem to. It kind of reminds me of the Rebel line, with controls buried in menus and it is hard for me to quickly change settings. I had a Rebel before the 20D and swore I'd never get another one, not so much based on quality of photos, but on handling. I know the current Rebels have better quality than my old 20D, but I'd still rather have my 20D.

So, I have been thinking lately that I would spend a little on my photography hobby and I am trying to decide what to spend it on. I could try a different M43 camera, as I still like the idea of a smaller camera for trips and such. I could even get a better lens for the Olympus I have. I could also buy a fast wider prime to use on my 20D for indoor photos. But, I could also pick up a newer body. I had thought I'd get a 7D next, but then my quest for smaller hit me and I assumed I would move to the M43 world and eventually give up my Canon gear. My kids are grown and I'm no longer shooting HS sports and dance recitals. I do some nature and outdoors, but mostly family and travel photography. I also do a bit of portraiture and engagement/senior pictures photography for others, but that is a relatively small part of what I do. I don't seek that and only do it for friends/family when asked. Even then, I usually try to convince them to hire a professional. But I digress.

If I decide to get a new body, which one do you guys think is the best body for the buck? I am leaning away from the 5Dc, simply because of issues I hear about such as iffy focus and dust.

On the other hand, if I go with a fast prime and keep the 20D for now, is the 35/2 the best choice or possibly the Sigma 30?

Thanks in advance.
Dan

Jan 08, 2013 at 10:29 AM
safcraft
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 40D, 50D, 60D, 7D, 5Dc, glass, best upgrade?

From what you said about handling the 20D vs the olympus pen, plus the aim in quality upgrade, i would vouch for a 5D.
I know you said you lean away from it, but i would struggle to find a valide reason. Iffy focus ? Not a bit less than your 20D, probably better in the centre point.
Dust ? No issue there, i just clean my cameras every once in a while, i spend 50cents in a cotton dedicated wiper and some drops of fluid. And this WHEN a simple blower doesn't do the fix. This is very ocasional, and i change lens a LOT.

If you find the money, a 5D2 is even a better buy with a lot of better features.
I would NOT (with your current style of photo) buy a dedicated new crop camera. A classic FF camera would let you much hapier.
My 2 cents.

Jan 08, 2013 at 10:45 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 40D, 50D, 60D, 7D, 5Dc, glass, best upgrade?

My normal mantra is 'glass glass glass glass'
But the 20D while still very capable is long in the tooth.

So if a body was your choice then the question is what.

The 5Dc is still very good but is still old tech (not much younger than you 20D) .
How about a 5D2? The 6D is hitting prices of good used 5D2's . You won't even loose anything in reach against your current 20D . The 21mp of the 5D2 cropped down to the APS-c is the same 8mp .

Jan 08, 2013 at 04:12 PM
convergent
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 40D, 50D, 60D, 7D, 5Dc, glass, best upgrade?

I would go with a 50D or 7D. I sold my 50D a few months back to a 20D owner and he was thrilled. Its very similar feel to the 20D in size and form, but upgraded in nearly every aspect. The 7D would be the next jump up from there. The 60D is a smaller body that isn't a progression of the family, but aimed between the Rebel and xxD line in my opinion.

I fought with dust on the sensor with the 5D the whole time I had it. Never had a problem with dust in the other dozen or so bodies I've owned. Its good for image quality, but the rest of it is not greatly improved over your 20D. To me, the 5Dc is basically a 20D with a kickin' full frame sensor.

Jan 08, 2013 at 04:36 PM
saneproduction
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 40D, 50D, 60D, 7D, 5Dc, glass, best upgrade?

With you lenses a full frame body is your best bet. I would get a used 5DII as they are dirt cheap right now. A 5D would also be good if your budget it less. You have all the lenses you need. You just don't know what they can do yet! Full frame will change the way your lenses feel for sure!

Jan 08, 2013 at 04:46 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 40D, 50D, 60D, 7D, 5Dc, glass, best upgrade?

I have a 5D and 40D and the 40D is the best 'package' and the best value for money. In terms of IQ......you would get great A3 prints from either. However...neither are smaller than the 20D....possibly they are a little larger.

Jan 08, 2013 at 08:42 PM
mmsean
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 40D, 50D, 60D, 7D, 5Dc, glass, best upgrade?

Great deals on 40D's and image quality is very good. I just sold my mint 4700 clicks for $375.

Jan 08, 2013 at 11:02 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 40D, 50D, 60D, 7D, 5Dc, glass, best upgrade?

DynaSport wrote:
I have been shooting with a 20D for years and have actually been pretty happy with it. My main complaint being focus accuracy from time to time, which I have never been totally sure if it was a lens issue or a camera issue.

If I decide to get a new body, which one do you guys think is the best body for the buck? I am leaning away from the 5Dc, simply because of issues I hear about such as iffy focus and dust.

On the other hand, if I go with a fast prime and keep the 20D
...Show more

an older used 40D would work, Canon has been heavily discounting the 60D - around $600

Jan 09, 2013 at 06:31 AM
dmcharg
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 40D, 50D, 60D, 7D, 5Dc, glass, best upgrade?

50D, 7D or 5D would be an excellent upgrade from the 20D you can't really go wrong. I went from the 20d to 50D about 18 months ago and it's a great camera, absolutely no regrets. In terms of value for money I think the 50d is hard to beat.

Jan 10, 2013 at 06:46 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 40D, 50D, 60D, 7D, 5Dc, glass, best upgrade?

I have a 40D which I upgraded from the Rebel 300D and kept the 300d for a second body in dusty areas ans as a remote camera until it died. I've been looking at the 7D because besides the top rung of bodies it is the only new body that uses CF cards and I'm not in the mood to switch over to the SD cards yet. I was hoping that they would put out. Prosumer body with both during the transistion period that was usable for sports. That way I can use the cards I have and buy SD cards in the future.

I assume the reason for the change is cost of manufacturing, speed of cards, and repeat purchases because the card by it self isn't as sturdy.

I did note while looking at the Canon bodies available now that there was a FF that was in the feature set of the 7D but the price was between the 7D and the 5diii I think it was one of the 60D models but it had a mother character.

Me I decided on the 7D since I shoot sports and need the fps that I can afford and that is the 7D in raw. I know most sport shooters shoot jpegs but for the stuff I do I can get by with several frames of raw otherwise I would fill like I was shooting a still frame movie. I plan on putting my 70-200f2.8IS on it and either my 28-702.8 or my 17-55f2.8IS on the 40D ad either remote locate it or carry as a second body.

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 40D, 50D, 60D, 7D, 5Dc, glass, best upgrade?

Sell the Tamron and the 20D and buy a mint used 5D MKII with Sigma 35mm f1.4!

Jan 11, 2013 at 01:09 AM
KCook0
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 40D, 50D, 60D, 7D, 5Dc, glass, best upgrade?

No experience with the 20D for me. But I am very happy with my 50D. 60D also has a few advantages, for very few $$ more than the 50D. 7D is obviously very nice, but still pricey compared to the 50/60D.

As for more compact, Fuji X-E1 and Oly OM-D E-M5 look great to me. I wish my budget would cover both a DSLR and one of those systems. Maybe in my next life . . .

Kelly Cook

Jan 11, 2013 at 01:58 AM
StarNut
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 40D, 50D, 60D, 7D, 5Dc, glass, best upgrade?

I used my 10D for years, and finally upgraded to a 5D2 (bought from Canon's Loyalty Program, a great way to go).

I always felt the 10D was a fine camera, and still do. But I was hankering for full frame, constantly feeling cramped with the crop sensor.

I loved the 5D2 from the start; it's much newer and better technology, and it has wonderful IQ. And the prices you can get now are really attractive.

You'll read lots of whining about the 5D2's autofocus, but lots of people like to whine, whether there's a legitimate gripe or not. The AF on the 5D2 is fine for anything but very low light, or very fast-moving objects.

Alternatively, the 7D is the best crop body Canon makes. I also bought one of those from the CLP.

Did I mention that CLP is a great resource?

Mark

Jan 11, 2013 at 03:14 PM
hsw21
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 40D, 50D, 60D, 7D, 5Dc, glass, best upgrade?

I upgraded from 20/30D to 50 and 60D. Cant be happier. Cheap and good.

Jan 11, 2013 at 07:01 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.