Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

pr4photos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

Bit stupid having three separate cameras. Would have made much more sense to have one body and three lenses. I would have seriously looked at the system then. Great sensor.
But they haven't.
So I sold my DP1 and bought a Lumix GX1 and a couple of lenses. So much happier with this system. And I can shoot HD video!

Jan 09, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.2 #2 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

The 19 and 30 lenses (similar to what DP1 and DP2 have respectively) are available. The 50 may soon follow but personally a 50/2.8 lens that only goes to 1:3 magnification isn't very attractive.

Might rather get a Sony 50/1.8 with a tube on NEX.

Jan 09, 2013 at 01:20 PM
kahren
• • •
p.2 #3 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

for those that want a system, just wait till they release the 50 for Emount, then you can collect all 3 and buy a nex

Jan 09, 2013 at 03:33 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.2 #4 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

I bought the 30mm for my GX1. Very nice lens

Jan 09, 2013 at 04:10 PM
cjrpostma

p.2 #5 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

I'll be purchasing the DP3 Merrill at release. I love these cameras.

Jan 09, 2013 at 04:42 PM
weezintrumpete
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

Hmmm. I'm not sure that makes sense. Seems to me that they should have just released this camera with an interchangeable lens mount.

I definitely would not want a dedicated telephoto camera. But I suppose some people would!

Jan 09, 2013 at 05:18 PM
tsdevine
• • •
p.2 #7 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

So NEX is going with Sigma's Foveon sensor?

kahren wrote:
for those that want a system, just wait till they release the 50 for Emount, then you can collect all 3 and buy a nex

Jan 09, 2013 at 05:44 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

kahren wrote:

Of course, the current Sigma 19 and 30 for the NEX are a different optical design than those on the DP Merrills.

For those wanting an interchangeable, mirrorless foveon system, I think there are some technological hurdles to overcome with the current generation of foveon sensors to make that a possibility - at least if one wants the the same image quality as we now have in the fixed lens DP Merrill's.

Jan 09, 2013 at 06:30 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

While there will be people who collect all of them, I doubt that was the intent behind releasing different cameras with different focal lengths. My guess is the thought was "We've got fixed lens solution for for anyone!" not, "Buy all three and carry them around as a kit!"

Jan 09, 2013 at 07:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

alwang
• • •
p.2 #10 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

Snopchenko wrote:
The 19 and 30 lenses (similar to what DP1 and DP2 have respectively) are available. The 50 may soon follow but personally a 50/2.8 lens that only goes to 1:3 magnification isn't very attractive.

Might rather get a Sony 50/1.8 with a tube on NEX.

Not to mention, the forthcoming Zeiss 50/2.8 macro for e-mount.

Jan 09, 2013 at 07:28 PM
AHAB
• •
p.2 #11 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

Being past the mid century mark, I do not want to lug around my heavy Canon L lenses and cameras around anymore. I will gladly put up with the uniqueness of the Merrill's.
At this stage of my life I will be glad to take more thoughtful and less photos for the shear beauty of the photos these cameras produce. While we display and critique these images on our screens and pixel peep ( I am very guilty of that, it's just plain fun), the printed images from these cameras are absolutely mind blowing in their exquisite detail and faithful realistic/lifelike colors.
I will be getting the DP3 as soon as it is available!
I also can not wait to learn their new B&W software!

I will also be happily carrying both the DP2 and the DP3 around with me.
When I shot weddings and sports I would have two heavy canons and their heavy L lenses on my shoulders for hours and hours at a time. These are feathers in comparison weight wise.

We are all at different stages of life and experience, for me these will be perfect!

Jan 10, 2013 at 03:55 AM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

Jman13 wrote:
I'm sort of confused with Sigma's positioning here. They have a great little system here that would be somewhat appealing if the lenses were interchangeable. Who wants to carry three compact cameras? I know most people would only choose one, but this seems like you'd be building a collection, as most people I know wouldn't want a fixed lens 75mm equivalent camera.

However, keep the Sigma DP body and provide these three lenses as interchangeable, and bam - quality mirrorless system with Foveon.

Great minds think alike...

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:34 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.2 #13 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

When I saw this I thought it might be an update to address general usability. But they've just slapped a different lens on. Oh well. I'm sure current users will love this addition though.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:55 AM
mirkoc
• • •
p.2 #14 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

freaklikeme wrote:
My guess is the thought was "We've got fixed lens solution for for anyone!" not, "Buy all three and carry them around as a kit!"

If image quality is so spectacular as some say, I could see myself caring all three (altogether weighing only 1kg) as an ultimate remote landscaper kit (I wouldn't mind DP3 being 85 or 90mm effective though, and yes, what about UWA - stitching I guess).

It just seems weird in contrast to a common one body and three lenses approach. But in that case you need a backup body...

I don't say such a combination wouldn't bring its own quirks of course.

Jan 10, 2013 at 12:07 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
p.2 #15 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

I am playing with stitching DP2 M images for wide; so far, the results are encouraging. re. the DP3: I am not sure the world in general is ready for portraits of this kind of acuity! On the other hand, if the 50's as spectacular as the 30, I may relent.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:01 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #16 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

carstenw wrote:
Wait for the DP -1 Fisheye

Shouldnt be hard to use wide-angle/fishey converter. 19mm f2.8 has pretty impressive performance too..

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:27 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #17 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

Kit Laughlin wrote:
I am playing with stitching DP2 M images for wide; so far, the results are encouraging. re. the DP3: I am not sure the world in general is ready for portraits of this kind of acuity! On the other hand, if the 50's as spectacular as the 30, I may relent.

I think it might be bit softer at f2.8, so it should be ok for portrait as long as it will be f2.8. And we have software too.

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:28 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.2 #18 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

Snow falling again.
Might be a good day for an outing tomorrow with the DP2M. I have no work and after dropping off my gf in the morning my day is free with 270 horses taking me where I wish to go.

Also I might receive an update on the delivery time for the DP1M, which I am honestly more looking forward to shooting. A wide angle high resolution camera pocketable-ish camera has long been a pipe dream for me. Time to put out that pipe and smoke me some ... I don't know where I am going with this sentence so I'll just leave it hanging in mid air

Jan 10, 2013 at 11:31 PM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password