Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

Snopchenko
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

Sigma DP3 Merrill has been announced as of Jan. 08 2013:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/01/08/Sigma-dp3-merrill-foveon-75mm-equivalent

In short: 50mm f/2.8 "macro" (but really only 1:3) lens - thus 75mm equivalent.
Same "46 MP" Foveon sensor

So it looks like it completes a 3-camera set.

Edited on Jan 09, 2013 at 08:22 AM · View previous versions

Jan 08, 2013 at 09:28 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

How about a Sigma DPx thread, instead of one per camera?

Jan 08, 2013 at 09:57 AM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

I see the specific DP2M thread but no other recent or general ones. However if it's more fitting, I'll remove this thread.

Jan 08, 2013 at 10:07 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

You can rename threads, just edit the first post, and edit the title. I just think it would be a lot more interesting to Sigma fan to have a single Foveon or DP thread, than scattered threads with partial information.

Jan 08, 2013 at 11:35 AM
Bijltje
• • •
p.1 #5 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

Hope they introduce the lens as a "dn" for sony nex like they did with the other two DPx lenses. A 50/2.8 macro would be a great addition to the other two.

Jan 08, 2013 at 11:35 AM
justruss
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

carstenw wrote:
You can rename threads, just edit the first post, and edit the title. I just think it would be a lot more interesting to Sigma fan to have a single Foveon or DP thread, than scattered threads with partial information.

Eh, I don't see any disadvantage to separate threads for each camera-- after all, each has a different lens, which is a major thing-- as well as a combined thread for those issues/thoughts/arguments that can be combined.

Doing away with the individual threads will necessarily lessen their individual scope.

Jan 08, 2013 at 12:15 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

Can't wait to see your portraits.

Jan 08, 2013 at 01:26 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

Me too.

Jan 08, 2013 at 02:00 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

Sample images from the DP3 are out:
http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/sppmonochrome/photo_gallery.html

EDIT: sorry, just ONE picture there. Not very telling either.

Jan 08, 2013 at 02:07 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

I'm sort of confused with Sigma's positioning here. They have a great little system here that would be somewhat appealing if the lenses were interchangeable. Who wants to carry three compact cameras? I know most people would only choose one, but this seems like you'd be building a collection, as most people I know wouldn't want a fixed lens 75mm equivalent camera.

However, keep the Sigma DP body and provide these three lenses as interchangeable, and bam - quality mirrorless system with Foveon.

Jan 08, 2013 at 02:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

Jman13: yes, that would make more sense.
But I guess people would start asking for lenses they would not produce and then it would be deemed a dead end system from the start instead of the "limited high quality lens system" it could be.

Back when I had the Contax G2 with 21/28/45 and 90mm lenses I had all I needed. I didn't get the zoom or the 35. To me a three-four lens system would suffice. For macro work I would consider a dedicated camera if I still did it on a regular basis.

(As Snopchenko already stated) the DP3M only does 1:3 "macro" and although I would personally would start to call it macro from at least 1:2 I think it would probably suffice for most people.

I am not sure I would want to own three similar cameras - all with two batteries = six in total. No need to buy spares though.

I sort of look at the DP cameras as complementary or niche cameras and three of them does not replace a dSLR or mirrorless for me as they are simply not capable enough in som aspects. (high ISO, AF, low light shooting in general as the lenses are on the "slow side")

I welcome the DP3M however. The more the Merriler but apparently Sigma has stated that "that's it" for the DP Merrill compact series. I wish they had released a 21-24mm instead of the 28 but that's me.

Jan 08, 2013 at 02:36 PM
Luis Cunha
• •
p.1 #12 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

Macro lens has the capability of achieving in the least a 1:1 magnification.
1:1 or 2:1 ratio is a real macro lens.
1:2 is not a real macro lens.
DP3M is 1:3; not macro. Close up. Which is nice.

Macro is another world. An alien world ,-)
My lens goes to x5.

I wish too for a wider lens, but it seems they want to cover the small tele spectrum.

Jan 08, 2013 at 02:53 PM
Luis Cunha
• •
p.1 #13 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

This new camera seems bigger; I mean, bigger lens. More heavy?

Jan 08, 2013 at 02:54 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

Some people would rather not change lenses on the go. Get an sd1m if you want an interchangeable lens foveon.

Jan 08, 2013 at 02:56 PM
Luis Cunha
• •
p.1 #15 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

Three bodies with lens (even compact) isnīt my concept of a compact camera to travel, with HQ image.
How much three Sigmas will weight in a bag? 11.6 oz/329 g Without battery x3= a Dslr... Thatīs what I want not to use while traveling.

Jan 08, 2013 at 03:16 PM
timpdx
• • •
p.1 #16 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

Darn, really wanted a 20-24mm equiv.

Jan 08, 2013 at 04:27 PM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

From what I have seen, the DP Merrill's seem to edge out the SD1 Merrill with regard to overall image quality, likely due to better optimization of lens with sensor. Not having to deal with some of the compromises in design that come with an interchangeable lens system - SLR or mirrorless - seems to have some pretty significant optical benefits. For instance, the lens can be placed much closer to the sensor and unusual optical designs can be used without worrying about other practical issues (think very large rear elements).

Anyway, I see these DP Merrills as specialized tools and really not in the mainstream of the typical compact camera (which, are most often than not, more general use cameras). As for the DP3, I think it would have been much more useful had it had a 60mm lens (90mm FF equivalent Macro). An equivalent 75mm lens, in my experience, is too short for most applications where I most often use a typical Macro lens - sort of in a no mans land of useability.

Jan 09, 2013 at 01:22 AM
tsdevine
• • •
p.1 #18 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

Yeah, me too (although I'm thinking 18-21mm equiv.) Maybe there will be a DP0 at some point.

timpdx wrote:
Darn, really wanted a 20-24mm equiv.

Jan 09, 2013 at 02:28 AM
Takira71A

p.1 #19 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

_____

>> http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/sppmonochrome/photo_gallery.html

If you 'Click' on the Sigma DP3 Image in the Photo Gallery and then 'Zoom In' on it... It looks pretty good!
(Yes... This image is not a 'Good Candidate' for examining the 'Extreme Corners' of course).

But the Center Sharpness initially looks 'Quite Impressive' and the 'Bokeh' certain looks very pleasing.
--

We already pretty much know... All that we REALLY need to know about the actual DP3 Merrill Camera Body and its respective Foveon X3 46MP (4,800x3,200x3 Layers) Image Sensor. What it will really 'Boil Down to' is..... 'How good is this *NEW* 50mm f/ 2.8 Lens?'

However, based upon the following points... I would expect this lens to be very, very good -- And *Perhaps* (hopefully) even be quite exceptional:

1). A 50mm Macro Focal Length Lens... Is fairly easy to design these days.

(*Also taking into consideration of course... That this Sigma 50mm was only designed for a Maximum Magnification of 1:3 and Not 1:1 or even 1:2)...

2). This Lens of course also ONLY has to be 'Designed' to cover APS-C (23.7x15.7mm) and not Full Frame.

3). The fact that this lens has been 'Conservatively Designed' (With a 'relatively slow' Maximum Aperture of f/2.8) and not f/2.0 --- Like the Zeiss 50mm f/2.0 T* Makro-Planar, Olympus 50mm f/2.0 Macro ED Zuiko Digital Lens (for Four Thirds) or the even older Olympus OM Zuiko MC Auto Macro 50mm f/2.0 Lens.

*** (And 'NO'... I am certainly not 'knocking' the Zeiss or the two Olympus Lenses just previously mentioned -- In any Way, Shape or Form!
Without a doubt... They are ***ALL*** Excellent (If not 'Outstanding') Lenses -- IMNSHO)). Enough said!

4). The fact that this Sigma Lens is said to use Special Low Dispersion (SLD) Glass... Accompanied by more than one (1) Aspherical Lens Element. Although this is 'fairly standard' practice these days... It is still a good sign.

5). The fact that the recently introduced (and of *Similar* Design) Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 60mm f/2.8 Macro Lens (although the Olympus is of course an 'Interchangeable Lens')... Has also received very good reviews and is thought of quite highly these days -- Should 'Bode' quite well for the new Sigma 50mm f/2.8 (Hopefully).

6). The fact that the 'Respective Lenses' on the latest Sigma DP1 Merrill and Sigma DP2 Merrill Cameras (Especially the 30mm f/2.8 Lens -- 35mm Equivalent: 45mm on the DP2 Merrill)) are so good and also how Sigma's latest 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Lens (For DSLR's) is also garnishing very, very good Reviews... Is certainly 'Encouraging'.

This shows that Sigma certainly knows how to produce 'Excellent Optics' these days (When they want to)...

--

'All In All'... I certainly would expect (and hope) that this new lens will be 'Quite Impressive'.

Whether or not it is a Focal Length that you are interested in... *OR* if you can live with all of the various 'Warts and Imperfections' of the Sigma DP Merrill Cameras (**And for that matter... Also Sigma Photo Pro) -- Is of course like they say... 'ANOTHER STORY ALTOGETHER!!!'.

** (Hopefully, Iridient Digital will 'Step Up' to the plate soon... With 'RAW' Support for the various Sigma DP Merrill Cameras -- With their next 'Update' of RAW Developer)...

--
-Tim.

_______

Edited on Jan 09, 2013 at 01:57 PM · View previous versions

Jan 09, 2013 at 05:13 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · Sigma DP3 Merrill

tsdevine wrote:
Yeah, me too (although I'm thinking 18-21mm equiv.) Maybe there will be a DP0 at some point.

Wait for the DP -1 Fisheye

Jan 09, 2013 at 08:46 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password