Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · You are NOT a photographer pretty funny and sad site

thomashammer78
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · You are NOT a photographer pretty funny and sad site

I stumbled over this site the other day why looking for DO and DO NOT tips and hints on portrait photos

besides all the great ones on here..

and I can only say I had a good long laugh at so called Pro's

http://youarenotaphotographer.com

Jan 07, 2013 at 06:06 PM
borderlight
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · You are NOT a photographer pretty funny and sad site

Although the photos are funny, or maybe pathetic, the real joke seems to be unrealized by the site owner or blogger who went to the trouble of blackening all the names of the "fauxtographers" without getting permission to publish any pictures he ripped-off. Unfortunately even bad taste can be grounds for a copyright infringement lawsuit. What makes it worse is that this guy is selling advertising to show and comment on non-public people to hold them up for ridicule.

http://debmcalister.com/2012/02/02/5-easy-ways-to-get-sued-for-social-media-or-blogging/

Here's a paragraph from the link:

"This is what gets a lot of bloggers in trouble, and itís what has Nik Richie facing millions of dollars in potential payouts to plaintiffs. His site lets users post photos of people, with comments about the people and the situation. And a lot of those comments arenít the sort that I am willing to repeat here ó and a lot of the photos arenít the sort that people would want spread all over the Internet, as they were taken when the person was drunk or otherwise not at their best."

Also noted is that even FM Forums has it's free speech limits. For instance:

"To avoid losing a suit for tortious interference, be careful what you say. Opinions are (almost always) protected speech. ďI didnít like the food at Debís Diner, and wonít be going backĒ is an opinion, and you can say that. Saying, ďDonít eat at Debís Diner ó the food will make you sick,Ē on the other hand is (likely) to be illegal. (There are exceptions, of course. For example, if you happen to be a health inspector acting in your official capacity and have proof to back you up, you can tell people not to eat there and state your opinion that there is cause to worry about getting sick if you do.)"

So naming company in a post then to tell others not to go there or use their services might be skirting with "tortious interference" according to that same link. You be the judge. I am just the messenger.

Jan 08, 2013 at 12:21 AM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · You are NOT a photographer pretty funny and sad site

Pretty horrible site IMO, make fun of people trying to make a living. You know whats worse than a bad photographer? A bad web site designer.

Jan 08, 2013 at 02:31 AM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · You are NOT a photographer pretty funny and sad site

Below is an example of "tortious interference" as explained in my post above. The OP, his first post, experiences and opinion boil over into a contentious request for others to avoid using their store. The comments, mixed with emotion, may seem innocent enough, but the issue now requires damage control. Enter Helen, or Henry - they'll make it right because they cater to those who don't understand that store problems can be handled internally. I am not aware of any other websites that allow vendors to be called out online. IMO, FM should stay out of the bully pulpit buyer/vendor problems.

"Adorama Trade In Program: BEWARE!"

"So my warning to you other camera owners out there, beware of Adorama's trade in program. They're not easy to work with, they handle your trade-in slowly and ultimately they don't keep their word. Really disappointed and they've left a bad taste in my mouth."

Jan 08, 2013 at 03:33 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · You are NOT a photographer pretty funny and sad site

I think the "not a photographer" site is in poor taste, but that's about it

I think the best way to respond to threads that really offend you, is to report them to the moderator.

Jan 08, 2013 at 04:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Helen Oster
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · You are NOT a photographer pretty funny and sad site

borderlight wrote:
...... I am not aware of any other websites that allow vendors to be called out online. IMO, FM should stay out of the bully pulpit buyer/vendor problems.

Believe me, there are LOTS! Fortunately most list owners / moderators also allow vendors to have a presence to resolve issues posted by members - although of course it would be better if customers contacted us directly - but there are about a half dozen who point blank refuse.

Nevertheless, from a customer perspective I absolutely understand how frustrating it must be when a problem isn't actually with a product but with the level of, or approach to, customer service itself.
That's where I hope support from vendors via forums like FM can be especially helpful.

However, I do agree with you; when a complaint or concern about a single member of staff who has messed up somehow turns into cyber bullying directed at an entire business which employs 4-500 people, something is very wrong.

Helen@adorama.com

Jan 09, 2013 at 06:54 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · You are NOT a photographer pretty funny and sad site

Helen: The interesting part here is that kind of negative rant directed at an individual is not permitted on FM yet it seems permissible to go off on a company without any consquences. If the lazy way of contacting customer service via FM continues to share the Misc. Forum spotlight, it would be nice to see some rules for it.

Jan 09, 2013 at 10:06 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · You are NOT a photographer pretty funny and sad site

Helen Oster wrote:
which employs 4-500 people, something is very wrong.

Wow, remind me not to try calling on a day when only 4 people are working.
(Seriously, we appreciate everything you do here, Helen)

Jan 09, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Helen Oster
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · You are NOT a photographer pretty funny and sad site

DanBrown wrote:
Wow, remind me not to try calling on a day when only 4 people are working.
(Seriously, we appreciate everything you do here, Helen)

Jan 09, 2013 at 10:29 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password