Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · HGST Travelstar 1TB 2.5" Mobile Hard Drive or options.

EyeBrock
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HGST Travelstar 1TB 2.5" Mobile Hard Drive or options.

I'm looking at replacing the optical drive on my HP laptop (EB 8540w) with a 1TB HD or 750 2.5" in an 'upgrade bay' caddy I've ordered.

I'm really torn between B&H's remarkbly priced 1Tb drive (I'm unable to find much in the way of reviews on this) and one of the 750 gb drives, maybe a hybrid. I'm just tired of USB drives and LR4 playing silly buggers with them. I've got a 256 SSD which is great for quick boots of LR4 etc.

Any input from others who have ebarked on similar upgrades would be appreciated, especially opinions on the Travelstar drive.

Cheers!

Jan 07, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HGST Travelstar 1TB 2.5" Mobile Hard Drive or options.

Have a look at this site. There are several pages of performance comparisons.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/notebook-hard-drive-review,3270-12.html

Try to assess what type of data transfers you will be doing: e.g. just photos (reasonably large files), or lots of tiny files, or database access, etc. The answer may suggest the best drive.

I considered a 1.5TB drive but apparently it is rated for light duty only. Perhaps in a year or so it will be more viable.

I went for the 1TB over the 750GB drive because of several reasons:
1. I needed the space
2. it isn't much slower than the 7200rpm 750GB HDDs for file transfers. (would be a poor choice for random file or database access)
3. By partitioning the bigger drive the average speed of the first partition is faster than for a single partition and probably competitive with the 750GB HDDs.
4. I've now got space for my photos and a backup system volume on the one drive.
5. I still have a speedy SSD for my system volume + Lr catalog database + ACR and Lr preview caches.

I didn't see the hybrid drive being a great advantage in terms of the small SSD capacity it offers because I use the drive for looking at photos and not the same ones over and over, so there'll never be a set of frequently used photos on the SSD of the hybrid drive.

- Alan

Jan 22, 2013 at 04:17 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password