FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Virgin River Rapids - Zion NP in Fall

AMaji
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Virgin River Rapids - Zion NP in Fall

Another image from our trip to the Zion during Fall 2012. I have tried to make sure that the exposure on the rocks are not blown. I found it difficult during long exposures to get the flowing water feel with large rocks in the foreground before but with the D800 it is a little easier. For the images with my D300, it was much more difficult. Had to get into the river to get this perspective.

Your comments and criticism very welcome. Thank you for your time.

© AMaji 2012

Virgin River Rapids

Jan 06, 2013 at 06:48 PM
Brad Williams
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Virgin River Rapids - Zion NP in Fall

I like it. I just wish there was a way to make the waterfall just a little more prominent. Nice work.

Jan 07, 2013 at 03:33 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Virgin River Rapids - Zion NP in Fall

Hey Maji,

That looks very nice! It can be difficult to shoot long exposures of water without the water then starting to blow out with all that white. You did good here it looks like, and yeah, the D800 sure helps with it's great DR to make these shots a lot easier.

Something else to try if it's a bit on the brighter side, is to use the Multiple Exposure mode and take 4 or 5 shots in a row. With the moving water, using ME can let you take multiple shorter length shots and it overlays them so that it looks like one longer exposure. It's not perfect, but it's a nice alternative to a single long exposure.

Jim

Jan 07, 2013 at 06:36 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Virgin River Rapids - Zion NP in Fall

Thank you Brad and Jim.

Brad, when you say prominent, do you mean in terms of "pop" or "more real estate in the frame"?

Jim, thank you for the suggestion. I will try that next time. I have to tell you, the D800 is much more forgiving by having such a large DR. I also shot using my D300, so I can now really appreciate the D800 much better. No way am I saying that the D300 is a bad camera, but the D800 with its MPX and DR just makes it easier to correct small errors including composition.

Jan 07, 2013 at 09:45 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.