Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Nik Silver Efex vs. Topaz Labs B&W conversion software

WilliamFinley
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Nik Silver Efex vs. Topaz Labs B&W conversion software

I am contemplating purchasing B&W conversion software for editing my photos. My question for those that know, is Silver Efex worth the extra money over the Topaz Labs software?

Thanks in advance, Bill

Jan 06, 2013 at 08:43 PM
StevenZ
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Nik Silver Efex vs. Topaz Labs B&W conversion software

Bill, in my honest opinion, you don't need either. I get the best results using Photoshop straight up. I do have the Silver Efex plug in but I rarely use it anymore.

Jan 06, 2013 at 09:08 PM
joesfotosite

p.1 #3 · Nik Silver Efex vs. Topaz Labs B&W conversion software

I use Topaz B&W and so far I like it a lot. Also the price is unbeatable so you almost can't go wrong.
I had the trial version of Silver Efex and liked it too but for the price difference I ultimately chose Topaz.

Jan 06, 2013 at 11:19 PM
WilliamFinley
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Nik Silver Efex vs. Topaz Labs B&W conversion software

joesfotosite wrote:
I use Topaz B&W and so far I like it a lot. Also the price is unbeatable so you almost can't go wrong.
I had the trial version of Silver Efex and liked it too but for the price difference I ultimately chose Topaz.

I your opinion, is there anything that you feel your not getting from Topaz that Silver Efex would give you?

Jan 07, 2013 at 12:21 AM
joesfotosite

p.1 #5 · Nik Silver Efex vs. Topaz Labs B&W conversion software

I think the biggest difference is the ability to use Nik's U Point technology, one of the features they are known for. Aside from that the conversions and tones from both are excellent. I decided that I couldn't resist the price of the Topaz. I can selectively adjust beforehand using the adjustment brush in Lightroom if necessary.

Jan 07, 2013 at 12:28 AM
WilliamFinley
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Nik Silver Efex vs. Topaz Labs B&W conversion software

joesfotosite wrote:
I think the biggest difference is the ability to use Nik's U Point technology, one of the features they are known for. Aside from that the conversions and tones from both are excellent. I decided that I couldn't resist the price of the Topaz. I can selectively adjust beforehand using the adjustment brush in Lightroom if necessary.

That's nice to hear. The price difference is amazing.

Thanks, Bill

Jan 07, 2013 at 12:31 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Nik Silver Efex vs. Topaz Labs B&W conversion software

I havent tried Topaz.
I agree SEP is pricey. I never bought it as a standalone. Rather I decided to shop the packages, with the notion that more than two plug-ins that I would use would justify the cost of a Nik Collection. I use SEP all the time. I use CEP fairly often, especially for Tonal Contrast, Solarization and Detail Extractor. I occ use Dfine. I am just starting to play with Viveza. I dont shoot HDR, but the single image tone-mapping is interesting.
On the other hand, I think there is a whole Topaz suite, probably better priced. The control point feature in Nik is excellent. Not sure if it justifies the price difference.

Scott

Jan 07, 2013 at 01:01 AM
WilliamFinley
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Nik Silver Efex vs. Topaz Labs B&W conversion software

sbeme wrote:
On the other hand, I think there is a whole Topaz suite, probably better priced. The control point feature in Nik is excellent. Not sure if it justifies the price difference.

Scott

Thanks, I will look into that.

Bill

Jan 07, 2013 at 02:33 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tim ONeill
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Nik Silver Efex vs. Topaz Labs B&W conversion software

I have and use both. I tend to use Nik most of the time. My reason is that I use the neutral conversion, than pick and choose some of the other oresets, and use the brush feature to paint in the extra effecst in where I specifically want them You can do the same with U points, but I like the painting a bit better. So, more "instant gratrification" To make this really interesting have a look at OnOne's new BW feature. Who knows where you might end up.

Jan 07, 2013 at 04:23 AM
AndrewThomas
• • •
p.1 #10 · Nik Silver Efex vs. Topaz Labs B&W conversion software

Hey Bill, I don;t know about the others but I'm always amazed at what I can do with Silver Effex!
cheers Andrew

Jan 08, 2013 at 04:56 AM
jaharris129
• •
p.1 #11 · Nik Silver Efex vs. Topaz Labs B&W conversion software

I too have both, for some reason I prefer the end result better with Silver efex, the control with the control points is really wonderful and I tend to like the tones I can achieve better with Silver efex, both of those you can "try before you buy" so give them both a try and see what works for you

Jan 09, 2013 at 01:27 PM
JSPHOTOS
• • •
p.1 #12 · Nik Silver Efex vs. Topaz Labs B&W conversion software

+1 SEP

I really like the U-point technology and there's a certain look I really like and can only achieve with SEP.

Jan 09, 2013 at 04:05 PM
WilliamFinley
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Nik Silver Efex vs. Topaz Labs B&W conversion software

jaharris129 wrote:
you can "try before you buy" so give them both a try and see what works for you

Yes that's definitely what I'll do.

Bill

Jan 09, 2013 at 08:19 PM
ShadowWalker
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Nik Silver Efex vs. Topaz Labs B&W conversion software

+2 SEP. Have used it for years, love it.

JSPHOTOS wrote:
+1 SEP

I really like the U-point technology and there's a certain look I really like and can only achieve with SEP.

Jan 14, 2013 at 05:52 PM
WilliamFinley
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Nik Silver Efex vs. Topaz Labs B&W conversion software

I did get around to downloading the free trail software, but it doesn't seem to work. I guess I'll give 'em a call and see what I'm doing wrong

Jan 14, 2013 at 07:17 PM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password