Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2013 · Leica M240

anthonysemone
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Leica M240

Anybody besides Steve Huff and Lloyd got info/experience with this camera? I'm really surprised KR isn't all over it

Jan 06, 2013 at 06:31 PM
Lee Saxon
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Leica M240

He doesn't need one to write his review!!

Jan 06, 2013 at 07:18 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Leica M240

David Farkas has some info too:

http://www.reddotforum.com/content.php/278-Photokina-2012-Day-1-The-Leica-M

http://www.reddotforum.com/content.php/284-Photokina-2012-Day-3-More-Updates-on-the-New-Leica-M

http://www.reddotforum.com/content.php/285-Photokina-2012-Red-Dot-Forum-Interview-with-Jesko-von-Oeynhausen

Jan 06, 2013 at 07:27 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Leica M240

Some of us have handled the Prototype cameras at Photokina and PhotoPlus but the cameras did not have the completed firmware. I believe that there are Beta Test Cameras out for review. When I spoke with Justin Stailey when I visited Leica USA in early/mid December, Justin suggested the target date for release was still on time for the 1st Quarter of 2013. To the best of Justin's knowledge at the time the firmware still was not completed and neither he nor anyone else had any final result output to see for the finished and ready for release camera.

Rich

Jan 06, 2013 at 07:40 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Leica M240

Lee, now that's funny

Edward and Rich, thanks you for the links and the information.

Jan 06, 2013 at 07:50 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Leica M240

anthonysemone wrote:
Lee, now that's funny

Edward and Rich, thanks you for the links and the information.

From my experience at PhotoPlus handling the camera with Multifunction Grip and along with the Leica R to M Adapter and the EVF finder we mounted as I recall both my Leica f3.4 180mm Apo Telyt and my f2.8 100mm Macro Apo Elmarit lenses. We had a little confusion in getting certain things in the viewfinder and LCD back to work quite right or to be recognized. But, they may have been due to all concerned having only limited knowledge of the focus and other functions as well as the fact that the firmware was only in cursory order. I am sure that those issues will be resolved. But, the camera did feel quite good in my hands and balanced and handled quite well with these moderate sized R series lenses.

The camera handled so well that I am definitely considering and waiting for the release of the camera and findings of others to determine if I will make such a large investment to have the privilege of mounting and using my Leica R lenses on an M series camera.

Rich

Jan 06, 2013 at 08:04 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Leica M240

Rich,

I gather then that you were able to handle an early production version with of course early firmware. Lucky man the guy who gave the reports of it on the links that Edward put up appeared to do a pretty comprehensive review of it. I am impressed with the focus-peaking capability.

thanks Rich

Jan 06, 2013 at 08:26 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Leica M240

anthonysemone wrote:
Rich,

I gather then that you were able to handle an early production version with of course early firmware. Lucky man the guy who gave the reports of it on the links that Edward put up appeared to do a pretty comprehensive review of it. I am impressed with the focus-peaking capability.

thanks Rich

I am not sure if it was really an early production, but it was a Prototype. We were noting a bit of issue with the focus-peaking, but the firmware may have had issue with some of our selected lenses. The camera with the R to M adapter should work to the best of our knowledge with every R lens ever offered by Leica. But, again, there are/were issues that we were noting with the early firmware. No one still knows what the longest time that the shutter can remain open for the camera as far as I know for example.

Rich

Jan 06, 2013 at 08:36 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Leica M240

If I remember correctly, it will be 120 s vs the 240 s of the M9.

Jan 06, 2013 at 08:48 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Leica M240

edwardkaraa wrote:
If I remember correctly, it will be 120 s vs the 240 s of the M9.

I was referring to the B (bulb) setting. No one at Leica including Justin Stailey could commit to how long the camera would allow the shutter to remain open on B. We also were unsure if it only could remain open for 120 seconds whether the firmware could be written to increase the time for B. For myself, I may have application of at least 5 to 30 minutes using ND filters (with or without other filters) for affect. If the camera would not allow for this, then it would "force" me in those instances to also carry my Fujifilm X-E1 if I should purchase the M. The battery of the new M is much larger than the M9. According to Justin I believe that Leica estimated 3,000 exposures but I do not have a clue as the shutter speeds and whether it was using the LCD or EVF finder.

Rich

Jan 06, 2013 at 08:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Leica M240

Q. "What is the longest exposure available in bulb?"

A."60 seconds at base ISO. The main goal is image quality, and Leica is unwilling to sacrifice quality for longer exposure time. For most applications, 60 seconds should be plenty. In cases of astrophotography, exposure stacking would be a better option, anyway."

http://www.reddotforum.com/content.php/284-Photokina-2012-Day-3-More-Updates-on-the-New-Leica-M

Jan 06, 2013 at 11:15 PM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Leica M240

sirimiri wrote:
Q.

A."60 seconds at base ISO. The main goal is image quality, and Leica is unwilling to sacrifice quality for longer exposure time. For most applications, 60 seconds should be plenty. In cases of astrophotography, exposure stacking would be a better option, anyway."

Well if correct, that sucks. It could cost Leica a lot of sales for Nature photographers (I know not their market for an M, but it was for the R) or cause us to carry as mentioned a 2nd camera body for such long exposure. As I mentioned to Justin Stailey, Leica seems to have designed the camera in the vain of Oskar Barnack as a fast operating, light hand holdable camera. Usage of the camera on a tripod is secondary and the usage of R lenses as the R solution is/was an after thought. So those such as myself, with such an extensive collection of R lenses, will have to give this much thought.

Rich

Jan 06, 2013 at 11:25 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Leica M240

Well, they did move the tripod socket from the baseplate to the main body, in anticipation of using heavier R lenses.

Jan 07, 2013 at 02:46 AM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Leica M240

edwardkaraa wrote:
Well, they did move the tripod socket from the baseplate to the main body, in anticipation of using heavier R lenses.

That may be true but you have to remove the base plate or the grip in order to access the battery and card. But, that is and will be inconvenient for a tripod mounted camera. I wish that Leica had discussed some of the needs of Nature Photographers and particularly those that would consider bringing an arsenal of R lenses into the mix. Anyway decisions decisions. Lets see what the reactions are to the camera by reviewers and users. If I go this route, I may have to go with the RRS answer for an L Bracket and grip.

Rich

Jan 07, 2013 at 02:59 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Leica M240

True, but I would imagine that the percentage of people using a M240 primarily as a landscape camera would be very low.

Jan 07, 2013 at 04:56 AM
thrice
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Leica M240

Gary Clennan wrote:
True, but I would imagine that the percentage of people using a M240 primarily as a landscape camera would be very low.

Jan 07, 2013 at 05:46 AM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Leica M240

thrice wrote:

Well that is why some of us that have been discussing and considering going this route are contemplating the use of 32GB memory cards to lessen the frequency and the pain of having to remove the camera from our tripods and removing the bottom cover or grip. Hopefully the estimates on the battery life will be quite high.

Rich

Jan 07, 2013 at 07:58 AM
Simon Kennedy
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Leica M240

I am actually considering picking up one to shoot architecture with. Canon has not come up with a sensor that is interesting to me for several years now, I suspect this camera would work well with TS-Es.

I imagine live view etc will open up a lot of until now unexpected users. I have not seen mention of HDMI out though... that I probably would need.

Jan 07, 2013 at 08:15 AM
joakim
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Leica M240

I was out yesterday and did some landscape shooting with my M9 and while not the easiest camera to work with on a tripod it was a joy to be able to carry a camera, 5 lenses and some accessories in a small Domke shoulder bag.

I for one is looking forward to the M as a landscape camera so that I can use live view to make it easier to use the camera in the field. That said, the limit in bulb exposure is unfortunate but if IQ up to say 400 is very good then increasing ISO is another option to increase exposure at least for me.

Simon, I agree on Canon and sensor and while very bulky I also think it would be super if I could use my Canon TS-E lenses on a M.

Jan 07, 2013 at 08:43 AM
naturephoto1
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Leica M240

joakim wrote:
I was out yesterday and did some landscape shooting with my M9 and while not the easiest camera to work with on a tripod it was a joy to be able to carry a camera, 5 lenses and some accessories in a small Domke shoulder bag.

I for one is looking forward to the M as a landscape camera so that I can use live view to make it easier to use the camera in the field. That said, the limit in bulb exposure is unfortunate but if IQ up to say 400 is very good then increasing ISO is
...Show more

Last year I purchased a used Leica R f2.8 28mm Super Angulon here on FM for usage with the M and/or other Mirrorless of FF camera. I know, no tilt and swing possibilities that I could use and that used for so long with my 4" X 5" cameras. But, the Leica 28mm PC is much smaller than the Canon T/S lenses.

Also the usage of when released L Bracket with the Grip by RRS as the one for the M9 should hopefully make the camera much more tripod friendly.

Rich

Jan 07, 2013 at 03:52 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password