Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2013 · T4i or 5D for 15 yr. old

ISO1600
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · T4i or 5D for 15 yr. old

5D for sure.

Jan 07, 2013 at 02:32 AM
kevinsullivan
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · T4i or 5D for 15 yr. old

After reading all these comments about the 5D I may want one for myself.

If you can afford it, I'm certain you wouldn't be sorry. Give (loan) your son the T4i and grab a 5Dc for yourself. It's really the killer-value camera, used, in the Canon line at this point.

Given what you've said about what and how you shoot, I'd recommend skipping the 5D II for now. Just ease into a nice inexpensive 5Dc, savor FF nirvana at a low cost of entry, and have a great time.

Jan 07, 2013 at 05:33 AM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · T4i or 5D for 15 yr. old

5Dc's are going in the area of $500 these days, and are totally worth it. Screaming deal, I'd much rather pay $500 for a 5Dc than any film camera these days.

Jan 07, 2013 at 01:08 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · T4i or 5D for 15 yr. old

SweetMk wrote:
This is simple, he gets your old one, whatever it is, you get the NEW one!!

+1 ;-)

Seriously. That's what my dad did when I was a kid, and I thought it was great! As a teenager, while I might have dreamed of the coolest cameras out there, I was actually thrilled to have his second-hand cameras, and they served me well.

Dan

Jan 07, 2013 at 02:20 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · T4i or 5D for 15 yr. old

The T3i is a nice camera that can be had used for a fair amount less then the latest rebel. The iso performance of the Rebel line, if that matters, does not seem to improve steadily through the models (see gary honis high iso testing for astro imaging). I am not sure how the T4i fares, but I doubt it is leaps and bounds better than the T3i. Get him a used T3i and see where he goes with it.

For yourself, I wouldn't bother with the 5D II unless you really wanted live view or shoot big teles where micro focus adjustments can be a big help. I had to send my 400mm and 5Dc in to Canon for calibration as it back focused quite a bit - if I focused on animal eyes, the ears were clearly the sharpest objects. Compared to the 5Dc, I did love its auto iso, modestly better high iso performance, micro adjust for short dof situation, but sounds like you are better off with the 5Dc and using your extra money for a lens if needed.

Jan 07, 2013 at 03:35 PM
svassh
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · T4i or 5D for 15 yr. old

bokap wrote:
My son told me he would rather shoot with my new T4i. Reason being he does want to be able to shoot video, and likes that it is a new camera with auto ISO and uses SD card.
After reading all these comments about the 5D I may want one for myself. I already have the Canon 80 1.8. Tamron 28-75 sounds good if I want something wider and longer, have seen the 24-105 IS for $650 so that may be a better option for me.
My T4i shoots at 6400 but it has a lot of noise. Would I get better
...Show more

I was gonna say the same thing, a 15 year old would probably appreciate the high tech T4i much more than a 5D. For yourself I also say skip the 5D and get a 5D II. If you can wait a few months I expect you will find 5D II used for $1K as the 6D continues to ship out in larger numbers.

Jan 07, 2013 at 04:35 PM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · T4i or 5D for 15 yr. old

Op Id say T4i
However the 5d would probably be a lot better at 1600+. Shoot at 6400 and pick it up in pp. I personally hate auto iso. Film isn't auto iso he should be fine.

How rough is he? 5d not the most mechanically robust camera I've ever owned. Also no live view if thats an issue.

Jan 07, 2013 at 06:20 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · T4i or 5D for 15 yr. old

Auto iso does work very well if the camera can do it in manual mode. With magic lantern, the rebel should be able to do this. I have it on my T3i and auto iso works fine in manual mode. Otherwise, I agree it is a pain and I often set iso manually unless I am rushed.

Jan 07, 2013 at 07:19 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · T4i or 5D for 15 yr. old

dgdg wrote:
The T3i is a nice camera that can be had used for a fair amount less then the latest rebel. The iso performance of the Rebel line, if that matters, does not seem to improve steadily through the models (see gary honis high iso testing for astro imaging). I am not sure how the T4i fares, but I doubt it is leaps and bounds better than the T3i. Get him a used T3i and see where he goes with it.

+1

For still photography, in particular, several of the Txi series bodies can work almost equally well.

Dan

Jan 07, 2013 at 08:00 PM
bokap
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · T4i or 5D for 15 yr. old

OP here. My son definitely has zero interest in 5D. He is using the Minolta film camera in his photography class, next year he will continue using it in another photo class. I would prefer that he use digital, learn Photoshop, but all they offer is film and using a darkroom. Next year they shoot color film. He is fine sharing my T4i with me and also my 8 yr. old daughter who uses it with my supervision. I would love to buy my daughter a 40D which are selling very cheaply now but she loves being able to shoot moveis along with photos.
For myself, if selling my T4i and EF's lenses was an option, I would do it and use the money to start over with probably a 5DII. Since my kids like using it, and it really does take great photos, very lightweight with EF-S lenses, I will keep it. I can come up with $500 if I find a deal on a 5D. Eventually I would want to add lenses as I only have 85 1.8. When I shot film my favorite FL was 100 which I used as my walk around, so I may sell the 85 and buy a 100 F2 if I can find one for about the same price. I never use liveview on my T4i, don't care that much about movies, so I think for the money a 5D makes a lot of sense. I would miss auto ISO, but I can deal with that.

Jan 07, 2013 at 08:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

outlawyer
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · T4i or 5D for 15 yr. old

There are at least two awesome 5D deals in the B/S, low clicks, grip and several batteries on one if not both of them. I wish I needed one.

Jan 07, 2013 at 08:30 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · T4i or 5D for 15 yr. old

5dc acts more like a film camera than a Rebel T4i.

If I am starting out today and with the prices of used 5dc, it would be my #1 choice. That's what I suggest to many noobs. But they are all suckered into the new is great marketing diatribe.

Jan 07, 2013 at 09:24 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · T4i or 5D for 15 yr. old

I take APS-C only when..

1) need for 1.6x - can be handy for birds and wildlife (but 1.3x 1DMK3 is starting to be reasonable)
2) its somehow special (no APS-C from Canon is, except few IR models)
3) I dont have money for FF

Otherwise I dont know if theres any other reason for APS-C..

Jan 07, 2013 at 09:30 PM
bokap
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · T4i or 5D for 15 yr. old

I probably will want to wait a couple of months to see if prices drop because of 6D. I think if I can find a 5DII in good shape for $1000 that may be a good deal for me. One of the reasons being is that if I buy a 5D now for around $500, I may not be able to sell it later on for close to the $500 because of the availability of 5DII's. Just guessing that a 5DII for $1000 would hold it's value better.
I just saw on Craig's List a 1DS II for $750. Would this be better than a 5D. Not sure if I would want to get into the extra weight of a 1D camera. I don't need the weather sealing and I don't shoot sports.

Jan 07, 2013 at 09:57 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · T4i or 5D for 15 yr. old

I guess a lot depends on his interests...but as a one time head of a London college photography department and a 5D owner...I would suggest a 40D based on my knowledge of younger aspiring photographers.

As a camera it is a better package...and the IQ is comparable to a 5D...I know...I have one of them as well. The AF is a lot better, it has a pop up flash (which will be useful for a teenager) and sensor cleaning. Obviously the build quality is excellent.....and the prices are quite low, even for mint ones.....and there are probably far more barely used 40Ds on the market than 5Ds.

As for lenses.....a fairly short zoom...but I am thinking of what would suit a student. His interests might be specific...but if not....on a crop camera...something like the highly regarded (but cheap) 28 - 105mk2 USM. If not...a 35 or 50mm prime.

Jan 07, 2013 at 10:04 PM
thedutt
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · T4i or 5D for 15 yr. old

Unless video is a deal breaker for him 5Dc will be a better learning tool. FF, more DOF control, 'simpler' options than the more feature rich newer camera. It would allow the user to focus on making photos.

For you, 5DII would be worth the extra if you can swing it. Liveview + microadjustment + dust cleaning = worth it if you use it a lot. (Plus better resolution)

Jan 07, 2013 at 10:04 PM
kapytalyst
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · T4i or 5D for 15 yr. old

Had a similar situation with my 15 year old daughter last year, so I purchased her a Nikon D5100. She likes that camera a lot, but much prefers my old 5d and takes that camera out of my closet on a regular basis.

Why? She loves the background blur from the shallow DOF you get on FF cameras. A simple - but compelling - reason to consider the 5d.

Jan 07, 2013 at 10:35 PM
anthonygh
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · T4i or 5D for 15 yr. old

kapytalyst wrote:
Had a similar situation with my 15 year old daughter last year, so I purchased her a Nikon D5100. She likes that camera a lot, but much prefers my old 5d and takes that camera out of my closet on a regular basis.

Why? She loves the background blur from the shallow DOF you get on FF cameras. A simple - but compelling - reason to consider the 5d.

DoF is a function not just of sensor size but focal length of the lens and the aperture selected. I can easily get shallow depth of focus with my 40D if I want...and in my experience of what students wanted..they rarely wanted that!! It seems more an issue on sites like this than the photography world in general.

Jan 07, 2013 at 11:52 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · T4i or 5D for 15 yr. old

anthonygh wrote:
I guess a lot depends on his interests...but as a one time head of a London college photography department and a 5D owner...I would suggest a 40D based on my knowledge of younger aspiring photographers.

As a camera it is a better package...and the IQ is comparable to a 5D...I know...I have one of them as well. The AF is a lot better, it has a pop up flash (which will be useful for a teenager) and sensor cleaning. Obviously the build quality is excellent.....and the prices are quite low, even for mint ones.....and there are probably far more barely used
...Show more

Interesting thoughts, however... the txi series cameras have AF systems that are now essentially the equal of that in the old 40D. The IQ of virtually all Canon cropped sensor bodies is equivalent to that of other cropped sensor bodies with the same photo site density. For example, 10MP cropped sensor cameras, as a breed, will produce essentially the same image quality.

Although image quality is not really the major issue for the intended camera user here, I'm perplexed by the notion that the 40D IQ is "comparable" to that of the 5D. I do realize that the literal meaning of "comparable" might be that "they can be compared," but when you make that comparison the 5D wins on virtually all counts. Yes, I have one, too.

I'm with you on the suggestion of a "normal" zoom, and the inexpensive and quite decent EFS 18-55mm kit zoom can be a fine way to begin. I'm certainly not in agreement with the suggestion of a prime in this day and age and even less in agreement with the idea of making that prime a 50mm lens. (You don't usually recommend that new 35mm photographers start out with just an 80mm lens, do you? ;-)

When these "camera for my kid" subjects come up, I think back to my own experience - and it turns out to be one that quite a few long-time photographers share. Many of us began in our teens when a parent loaned us one of their camera or got us something inexpensive. While grown up photographers might not be so impressed by such gear, we were thrilled to have it and we put it to good use. One of the Rebel style cameras would be far more capable than what most of us had, and can be acquired at a very good price these days.

One final note about "aspiring young photographers." I know a few such folks, too. Some would be interested in various DSLR cameras of the sorts we have discussed here. But a surprising number of them are interested in the whole street photography tradition and it turns out that they are often interested in gear that is more "retro" or at least retro-inspired. I have a son who has become a huge fan of old film rangefinder style cameras!

Dan

Jan 08, 2013 at 03:19 AM
anthonygh
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · T4i or 5D for 15 yr. old

gdanmitchell wrote:
Interesting thoughts, however... the txi series cameras have AF systems that are now essentially the equal of that in the old 40D. The IQ of virtually all Canon cropped sensor bodies is equivalent to that of other cropped sensor bodies with the same photo site density. For example, 10MP cropped sensor cameras, as a breed, will produce essentially the same image quality.

Although image quality is not really the major issue for the intended camera user here, I'm perplexed by the notion that the 40D IQ is "comparable" to that of the 5D. I do realize that the literal meaning of
...Show more

Four years ago I was contemplating a new camera and my local camera shop gave me a 5D and a 40D to play with..which I did along with my 50mm f1.4.....when I looked at the images later that day, apart from the crop factor the IQ difference was...well..close to be kind. Prints at A3 size...I couldn't see it. So I bought the 40D being the more modern camera and a lot cheaper.

I did a pro shoot in a studio a year or so ago and the model wanted me to do some shots for her with her 550D....so I did for 10 minutes.....I was so happy to go back to the 40D. And I obviously had a copy of the files I made using her camera as well....they didn't match the 40D files in IQ...but were useable..got some useable images...maybe her camera inspired her!! My 40D sort of inspires me I guess although I tend to prefer and use film.

As for primes.....depends on the requirements. I have been a student / lectured in two of the best London colleges..(both with world class status)...and students at them were required to use 50mm lenses until they could justify an alternative rationale. The college rationale was simple...use simple stuff and see what you can creative with it....obviously the students there created in bucket loads.....but had to think carefully about how to maximize what the lens could do. A good grounding for learning how to get the best from any gear.

So my rationale is simple ....give a learner a high quality piece of kit that doesn't cost too much and a quality prime lens...see what the learner can learn. Based on 15 years of teaching photography from basics to graduate level...it is a sound approach....

Edited on Jan 08, 2013 at 04:02 AM · View previous versions

Jan 08, 2013 at 03:46 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password