Username  

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Cricket?

p666

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cricket?

Not sure whether it's actually a cricket.. but anyhow, was polite enough to pose on a white background (car cover) outside for me to take these. Was very co-operative, until I think I accidentally bumped him with the lens and he flew off

Shame I had to post-shot crop off his antenna to show his/her body a bit better, as it's several times bigger than he/she is

Jan 06, 2013 at 04:38 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cricket?

Seems like a grasshopper to me.

Jan 06, 2013 at 12:35 PM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cricket?

Good captures- think it's a cricket - general rule is that if the antennae are longer than the body then it's a cricket and V.V. for a grasshopper.
Brian v.

Jan 06, 2013 at 12:41 PM
ddyager
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cricket?

Looks like a cricket relative, a bushcricket (tettigoniid) also called a long-horned grasshopper or a katydid. They sing in the fields or trees, but often with a raspier sound than crickets. The second of the very nice photos shows the ears really well - the swellings just below the 'knee' on the front legs.

Jan 06, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Tom Hicks
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cricket?

Nice shot of the cricket , yeah wish my ears were on my legs , they would stay warmer on the winter.

Jan 06, 2013 at 04:29 PM
p666

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cricket?

Thanks for all the info. Was not that large, about an inch long.

Jan 06, 2013 at 08:03 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cricket?

LordV wrote:
Good captures- think it's a cricket - general rule is that if the antennae are longer than the body then it's a cricket and V.V. for a grasshopper.

That works for the crickets we tend to find, Bush Crickets, also for True Crickets and Cave Crickets. Mole Crickets, Ground Hoppers and Grasshopers have the short type.

Harold

Jan 08, 2013 at 04:35 PM
MarkB1
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cricket?

Looks like a Cricket, nice shots ...

Jan 09, 2013 at 11:49 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.