New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Reconciling Family portraits with Boudoir photography

nolaguy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Reconciling Family portraits with Boudoir photography

Happy New Year, all,

I’m curious as to other’s experiences with the potential business dilemma goddardca references below.

One might assume that clients looking for a family portrait photographer might be uneasy with a photographer that also markets him/herself as a "boudoir" shooter.

Do any of you have perspectives, opinions, experiences with shooting both ends of the business?

From goddardca’s post:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1179350

goddardca wrote:
I'm kind of in an awkward position right now as I prefer to shoot fashion and commercial looking shots but just found out that suicide girls wants to test me out as a possible future photographer for them. While I am honored, I'm torn as most of my paying clients are from senior pics, newborns, and e-sessions and don't really want to two worlds to collide because it can cost me some business. So now the juggling begins of promoting this new work but trying not to deter future clients who see this is, for lack of a better word,
...Show more

Jan 06, 2013 at 03:58 AM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Reconciling Family portraits with Boudoir photography

most will more than likely have two sites.

Jan 06, 2013 at 06:22 AM
thorne88
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Reconciling Family portraits with Boudoir photography

I vote two sites. From a marketing perspective, i'd guess the mom looking for a family portrait photographer is completely different than the person looking for a boudoir photographer. Therefore, they should probably be marketed to separately.

Jan 06, 2013 at 09:16 PM
brianclary
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Reconciling Family portraits with Boudoir photography

I operate different sites. Different business cards, marketing materials, completely separate.

Jan 06, 2013 at 10:02 PM
BubbaJon
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Reconciling Family portraits with Boudoir photography

There ya have it - you really do need to keep the two worlds separate.

Jan 07, 2013 at 11:23 AM
crnama
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Reconciling Family portraits with Boudoir photography

My wife does the same thing she has two separate sites for the boudoir and one for the weddings and portraits. Different marketing materials and business cards.

Jan 07, 2013 at 09:11 PM
rffffffff
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Reconciling Family portraits with Boudoir photography

Id go so far, in this world of googling, to suggest even using a pseudonym or market one site with your name perhaps, and another with a business name... If I were shooting for suicide girls or the like I would come up with some really cool fake name like Max Power or Flash Nasty or Solid State or maybe Rob Steel.

Jan 07, 2013 at 09:29 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.