Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

Archive 2013 · 6D Auto Focus
  
 
bcguy
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 6D Auto Focus


I am curious: I would like to know how the 6D's autofocus compares to the 5Dc's autofocus. I am wondering how much of an upgrade this new camera would be. I love my 5D, but since I now have a toddler to photograph, I've become acutely aware of the it's autofocus shortcomings.

I'm just contemplating the options at the moment. I don't think I can afford a 5D Mk III, although that would be ideal. Your thoughts are appreciated.



Jan 05, 2013 at 09:33 PM
Ralph Conway
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 6D Auto Focus


Rent it and test it. Everybody expects a different level of AF performance.
But if you guess, the 5D III would be ideal, safe your money till you can afford it or finance the gap (if you like this). The difference here in germany went down to around 1000 Euro - that is less than 1 Euro a day, if you are happy with 5D III the next three years.



Jan 05, 2013 at 10:11 PM
chez
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 6D Auto Focus


Ralph Conway wrote:
Rent it and test it. Everybody expects a different level of AF performance.
But if you guess, the 5D III would be ideal, safe your money till you can afford it or finance the gap (if you like this). The difference here in germany went down to around 1000 Euro - that is less than 1 Euro a day, if you are happy with 5D III the next three years.


But then the 5d3 is just one more Euro a day and the 1DX is just a couple more Euros.



Jan 05, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Ralph Conway
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 6D Auto Focus


Yes "chez". But what a 1D X for, if one does not need the FPS. Isnīt this your argument for the 5D II against the 6D? The price difference from 5D III to 1DX is much higher. 3300 € here in germany instead of 200 (all bought new). The 1D X does not offer much more than FPS compared to 5D III.
The 6D offers a better AF than the 5D II, less banding at much higher ISO, a bit better IQ than 5D III, etc, etc.

For my needs and shooting habbits the 6D is the better choice than the 5D III. It does not sound like it is for "bcguy". He asked for AF compared to 5D. 5D IIs AF is better than 5Ds. 6Ds AF is better than 5D IIs. Only he can find out if it is good enough. He mentioned he would prefere the 5D III. So what is the point in your comment?

Edited on Jan 05, 2013 at 11:21 PM · View previous versions



Jan 05, 2013 at 11:18 PM
Imagemaster
Online
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 6D Auto Focus


Buy a used 1D Mk3.


Jan 05, 2013 at 11:19 PM
RobDickinson
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 6D Auto Focus


The 6d autofocus works, its not spectacular but its not a drag like the 5d2.


Jan 05, 2013 at 11:20 PM
chez
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 6D Auto Focus


Ralph Conway wrote:
Yes "chez". But what a 1D X for, if one does not need the FPS. Isnīt this your argument for the 5D II against the 6D? The price difference from 5D III to 1DX is much higher. 3300 € here in germany instead of 200 (all bought new). The 1D X does not offer much more than FPS compared to 5D III.
The 6D offers a better AF than the 5D II, less banding at much higher ISO, a bit better IQ than 5D III, etc, etc.

For my needs and shooting habbits the 6D is the better choice than
...Show more

Its just poking fun at your price justification of only 1 Euro a day in price difference between a 5d2 and a 6d. I just said the 5d3 is just one more euro a day using your justification logic.

The logic I use is a 5d2 can be had for $1200 and that leaves $900 for upgrading your lens rather than blowing your entire load on a 6d and have nothing for new glass. There are many different angles when justifying new purchases and I am just presenting something different than going with the latest shiny new tech toy.



Jan 05, 2013 at 11:35 PM
chez
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 6D Auto Focus


bcguy wrote:
I am curious: I would like to know how the 6D's autofocus compares to the 5Dc's autofocus. I am wondering how much of an upgrade this new camera would be. I love my 5D, but since I now have a toddler to photograph, I've become acutely aware of the it's autofocus shortcomings.

I'm just contemplating the options at the moment. I don't think I can afford a 5D Mk III, although that would be ideal. Your thoughts are appreciated.


Using the 5d2's center AF with it's 6 assist focus points does a surprisingly good job indoors in dim lighting. It is actually better than using my 7d in these conditions. The 5d2's outer points are basically useless, but same are the 5d and 6d outer points. Personally, if you upgrade from your 5d, I would give the 5d2 a good look as it has a very good center AF point, even when tracking indoors with the 6 assist points.



Jan 05, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Ralph Conway
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 6D Auto Focus


Does 6D look shiny to you? For me it just adds the features I asked for a year ago, when we discussed our 5D II follow up wishes. That does not look shiny to me. 5D III might be because of the 1D X AF system. Imo the 56D is the real 5D III, 5D III should have been the so long asked for 3D.

I understand your logic. I would follow it, if I would need lenses and the 5D II would support ISO 6.400 or 12.800 with no banding issues. But there are some people out here (including me) who want or have to shoot at those light conditions without beeing able to use a tripod or without wishing to destroy the athmosphere by using a flash.



Jan 05, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Ralph Conway
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 6D Auto Focus


chez wrote:
Using the 5d2's center AF with it's 6 assist focus points does a surprisingly good job indoors in dim lighting. It is actually better than using my 7d in these conditions. The 5d2's outer points are basically useless, but same are the 5d and 6d outer points. Personally, if you upgrade from your 5d, I would give the 5d2 a good look as it has a very good center AF point, even when tracking indoors with the 6 assist points.


My experience is different. 7D is useless for my needs. 5D IIs center AF works more reliable. ISO 3200 is far below 5D iis IQ. 6Ds outer points work much better than 5D IIs. I tested it even I do not need them. I am shooting the 5D II since 3.5 years now and its center AF "works" for me. But 6Ds smashed it! Get one in your hands even if you do not need it.



Jan 05, 2013 at 11:58 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



StillFingerz
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 6D Auto Focus


chez wrote:
Its just poking fun at your price justification of only 1 Euro a day in price difference between a 5d2 and a 6d. I just said the 5d3 is just one more euro a day using your justification logic.

The logic I use is a 5d2 can be had for $1200 and that leaves $900 for upgrading your lens rather than blowing your entire load on a 6d and have nothing for new glass. There are many different angles when justifying new purchases and I am just presenting something different than going with the latest shiny new tech toy.


Lens aside...

If you make your living with a tool and a 'shiny new toy' comes along that somehow naturally fits 'YOUR' hand better, makes it more comfortable to shoot, gives you some benefits that will help with the subjects you shoot and may in turn help generate more funds, why would you not upgrade...

Seems pretty straight forward, no matter the body. Even as a hobbyist if my gear gets in my way when taking an image, what good is it. This practice we're all involved in 'photography' is extremely subjective and personal. We each have our own styles, methods and I'd guess ergonomics too, yet we conform to the tools that best fit us...that others design




Jan 06, 2013 at 12:15 AM
joeisayo
Online
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 6D Auto Focus


Don't just look at a spec sheet. The 5D2 had a mediocre AF system but was still a little better (center point) than the 5DC even though AF, according to a spec sheet, was identical. Both of them had useless outer AF points.The 6D has a significantly better AF over (center point) the 5DC and 5D2. It also has a very usable outer focus points, though not as good as the 5D3.
Another important thing to know. The quality control is significantly better with the newer cameras and lenses giving you much better AF performance that does not show up in spec sheets.




Jan 06, 2013 at 12:33 AM
chez
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 6D Auto Focus


Ralph Conway wrote:
Does 6D look shiny to you? For me it just adds the features I asked for a year ago, when we discussed our 5D II follow up wishes. That does not look shiny to me. 5D III might be because of the 1D X AF system. Imo the 56D is the real 5D III, 5D III should have been the so long asked for 3D.

I understand your logic. I would follow it, if I would need lenses and the 5D II would support ISO 6.400 or 12.800 with no banding issues. But there are some people out here (including
...Show more

Yes Ralph...the 6d is the camera for you...but this thread is not about you. I am trying to help the OP with a decision. Right now he has a 5d and a 50 1.4 which is a dog of a lens for AF. I still say a better upgrade for the OP would be to get a lightly used 5d2 and a Sigma 35 1.4 and he would have much better success at shooting kids compared to a 6d and his existing 50 1.4. The center focus along with the 6 assist points do a very god job at tracking in dim lights. I can shoot at 3200 ISO with good results with the 5d2.

I did try the 6d at a store and I really did nt see any difference in outer points compared to the 5d2. Personally, I do fine indoor shooting with the center point of the 5d2. Like I said, I found it ether than my 7d indoors.



Jan 06, 2013 at 01:34 AM
M Lucca
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 6D Auto Focus


Strictly speaking your photography style will remain the same with the 6d because like the 5dc only the center-point is X-type. The outer points are for aesthetic purposes when it comes to moving subjects.

Chasing kiddies you might be better served with a 7d or even a 60d. Both have superior AF options to the these two cameras. However if your home always have rolling blackouts or live in a cave maybe the -3EV at the center-point in the 6d will be useful.



Jan 06, 2013 at 01:39 AM
chez
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 6D Auto Focus


M Lucca wrote:
Strictly speaking your photography style will remain the same with the 6d because like the 5dc only the center-point is X-type. The outer points are for aesthetic purposes when it comes to moving subjects.

Chasing kiddies you might be better served with a 7d or even a 60d. Both have superior AF options to the these two cameras. However if your home always have rolling blackouts or live in a cave maybe the -3EV at the center-point in the 6d will be useful.


I actually tested both a 5d2 with the center AF point and the 7d, for indoor photos that require tracking, the 5d2 center point with it's 6 assist points was more consistent than the 7d. Surprising, but true.



Jan 06, 2013 at 01:45 AM
StillFingerz
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 6D Auto Focus


chez wrote:
I actually tested both a 5d2 with the center AF point and the 7d, for indoor photos that require tracking, the 5d2 center point with it's 6 assist points was more consistent than the 7d. Surprising, but true.


Well then, perhaps Ralph is on to something; Canon as well, seems that -3EV center point might just be useful, and given a few heavy weight 5D2 users are reporting the 6D outer points are usable also; better than the 5D2's, guess the 6D might just be viable in lower light, even natural light environments.

I so wish I could actually use the 6D, try it out, but health issues preclude me from doing so. Stuck in bed for a bit frustrates, but there's a bright side, when I'm up and able to shoot...the 6D's price will have dropped a bit. And maybe there will be a referb by then, 5D3s are already in Canon's referb body list, a trade in of my dead A95 thru CLP will drop that price even further




Jan 06, 2013 at 02:19 AM
chez
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 6D Auto Focus


StillFingerz wrote:
Well then, perhaps Ralph is on to something; Canon as well, seems that -3EV center point might just be useful, and given a few heavy weight 5D2 users are reporting the 6D outer points are usable also; better than the 5D2's, guess the 6D might just be viable in lower light, even natural light environments.

I so wish I could actually use the 6D, try it out, but health issues preclude me from doing so. Stuck in bed for a bit frustrates, but there's a bright side, when I'm up and able to shoot...the 6D's price will have dropped a
...Show more

I guess I am not getting my point across. Every new camera will be better...that is not up for debate. However, we as consumers need to decide when a given camera is good enough and spending another $900 won't deliver anymore better photos. I am claiming for shooting kids at home just for fun, the 5d2 with center AF will do just fine. Heck, it has done just fine for 5 years. Adding a 35 1.4 with the price difference will allow more opportunities than getting a new camera with existing 50 1.4.

It's a very valid option for the OP. Obviously going with the latest tech is always the popular choice, but I look at things from a practical view...and what I see in the 6d and what the the OP wants to shoot, I still think the 5d2 with better glass is the better choice.



Jan 06, 2013 at 02:37 AM
StillFingerz
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 6D Auto Focus


Your point isn't lost Chez, my 40D's AF is like the 5D2's and I'm perfectly fine with it. Had it out this summer with a 1.4x II T/C and 70-200 f4L IS attached and in a late afternoon kids soccer game it functioned fine; got about 30 keepers.

I agree, the 5D2 is a great option, it was king not to long ago, and if your glass collection is lacking; or not, it's a great buy right now. If the lighter 6D wasn't an option for me, I'd have given the CLP my dead A95 and gotten a referbed 5D2...they were $1400 minus the CLP discount; right at about $1200 that you mentioned...that was one great deal.



Jan 06, 2013 at 03:00 AM
nalax
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 6D Auto Focus


As others have noted there is an improvement in AF from 5d to 5dII to 6d. The question may be how much better AF do you need for a toddler? Unless you live in a mansion the roaming space tends to be fixed for the little ones. The shooting does become predictable to some degree as you learn what attracts the child's eye. I agree that the 5dIII AF would be the best choice for AF but the simplicity of the 6d can be useful for the intimacy with this subject. If you over-rely on the AF, it still may not be enough and then you want the next big thing. My personal feeling is that unlike doing a photo assignment, you're into this full time and will learn along with the child, experiencing growth, etc.

Just a tip. Make sure that you get a ton of pictures before the crawling stage. It's a lot easier then



Jan 06, 2013 at 03:13 AM
cputeq
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 6D Auto Focus


nalax wrote:
Just a tip. Make sure that you get a ton of pictures before the crawling stage. It's a lot easier then


Better yet, just hang up your camera gear once they get to the fast walking stage, unless you want hundreds of OOF shots of your toddler closer than MFD, filling up half the frame, looking like he/she is about to eat your camera.



Jan 06, 2013 at 03:30 AM
1
       2       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password