Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · 1D Mark III vs (possible) 7D MKII.

Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1D Mark III vs (possible) 7D MKII.

Hi. Would it be insane to buy a near mint 1D Mark III now, rather than a future purchase of a 7D MKII? If not the Mark III, I am open to suggestions as to other 1D models at a similar price.

Megapixels don't matter to me, but picture qualities do.

Users, how is the battery life?

Can you post to links to your favorite Mark III images? Nowadays, how do you think the images and their inherent characteristics fare?

It would complement my 5D MKIII providing reach and higher fps, the pleasure of owning a pro body, and ruggedness, would be just some reasons I can think of.

Jan 05, 2013 at 03:42 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1D Mark III vs (possible) 7D MKII.

1D III is certainly a fantastic camera and the battery life is simply amazing, as in you easily get 2000+ shots, maybe 3000 shots. IQ is excellent for 10MP.

I would pick the 1D III over the 7D mk I (I owned both) if forced to choose just one (but I think 7D is a great camera), but I would think the 7D II would be a better camera if it eventuates, but it'll be a fair bit more expensive and how long are you prepared to wait

However if you own a 5D III, that provides more reach than 1D III if FL limited, ~ 16%, has even better AF, better IQ (especially if not FL limited and at high ISO). The 1D III will provide better fps and battery and build, but otherwise 5D III is a better camera. Personally the best partner for the 5D III is the 1D IV or a 7D, but I know you don't think much of the 7D and 1D IV is simlar price to 5D III. If MP don't matter and you really would like the extra speed and responsiveness then at the current prices the 1D III is an awesome buy IMO.

Jan 05, 2013 at 06:15 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1D Mark III vs (possible) 7D MKII.

1D3 is a great camera. Forget the 7D2. We don't even know if such a camera will be released. If so it will take very long time until you can buy one.
Battery life is outstanding and I can very easy take between 3000-5000 photos with one battery.
Here are a lot of pics from Thailand with that camera http://www.pbase.com/larsjohnsson

Jan 05, 2013 at 06:21 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1D Mark III vs (possible) 7D MKII.

Thanks. And I know it's a strange question - the 7D MKII - hasn't been released yet, but I am looking at what's available, old and new, and assessing things.

I would say it would be certain that a 7D MKII would be a superior camera, in terms of IQ... I think.

Jan 05, 2013 at 06:24 AM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1D Mark III vs (possible) 7D MKII.

Paul Mo wrote:
I would say it would be certain that a 7D MKII would be a superior camera, in terms of IQ... I think.

Oh, I have my doubts about that. One thing 1D3 does not lack is IQ. It has big fat beautiful pixels that take processing well and print up superbly.

The only certainty is that 7D and 7D2 (will) have more pixels per duck.

Jan 05, 2013 at 06:57 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1D Mark III vs (possible) 7D MKII.

Paul Mo wrote:
Thanks. And I know it's a strange question - the 7D MKII - hasn't been released yet, but I am looking at what's available, old and new, and assessing things.

Maybe there will not be any 7D2. Or mabe you have to wait a couple of years first. And when the 7D2 arrives a 1D4 will have the same price as an 1D3 today
It's no point in deciding to buy cameras that doesn't exist

Jan 05, 2013 at 07:12 AM
Ferrophot
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1D Mark III vs (possible) 7D MKII.

The 7D successor might only be a marginal improvement, similar to a 6D over a 5D3. Canon's recent sensor developments have been small improvements rather than big leaps. Having said that I'm reminded of a saying we have at work "all forcasts are wrong".

Jan 05, 2013 at 07:33 AM
canonguy4ever

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1D Mark III vs (possible) 7D MKII.

I own the 1D III and the 1Ds II and have thought about selling both to fund a 5D III but when viewing the images, even at 3200 and 6400 iso, the 1D III still produces 10 mp files that rival anything coming from a newer, higher mp camera. BTW, there is alot of room to crop the files if needed.
Mine has had the AF issues fixed by Canon and works flawlessly.
The battery is like the Energizer bunny......keeps going and going and going.....

Jan 05, 2013 at 07:34 AM
PaulCal
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1D Mark III vs (possible) 7D MKII.

Get the 1DIII, for the money its probably the best camera out there

Oh, I have my doubts about that. One thing 1D3 does not lack is IQ. It has big fat beautiful pixels that take processing well and print up superbly" Well Said!

Jan 05, 2013 at 08:39 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1D Mark III vs (possible) 7D MKII.

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Jan 05, 2013 at 09:13 AM
svassh
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1D Mark III vs (possible) 7D MKII.

I recently sold my 1D III. Had both the 5D III and 1D III for about 8 months. Used the 1D III exclusively for sports outdoors and 5D III for everything else. The 1D III is a great body and IQ is terrific. However as others have noted the 5D III is better in every way except fps. With a fast CF card and 6fps I am finding the 5D III with a grip and my 70-200 II is everything I need for sports. With the prices on 1D III bodies at an all time low its a great time to be a buyer. I may pickup another pro body one day, have owned the 1D IIn and III. Found the IIn to be nearly the equal of the III for half the price. III has better iso and 1.5 fps more.

Jan 05, 2013 at 09:49 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1D Mark III vs (possible) 7D MKII.

Paul -- The 1D3 is great camera and great price right now -- on the low side near $1000 in the US. There is no comparable camera deal for pro gear, except the 1Ds2, which has better IQ, but older technology/battery.

If there is a 7D2, the sense I am getting is a 24MP sensor. The 7D is very popular for video, and I expect Canon will want to remain dominant in that market segment. So, it's more a matter of when, not if, the 7D2 is released. It will likely be the technological peak when released, advancing past the 1DX/5D3 with new features. I speculate it might be announced next fall, and might not decline in price to a point you want until 6 months after that. . . so maybe a year and a half till you purchase. All speculation.

Avoid speculation and buy the camera you want and can afford right now. Buy the 1D3 and enjoy. Then sell at a later date and move forward.

Jan 05, 2013 at 11:02 AM
bobbyboy uk

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1D Mark III vs (possible) 7D MKII.

i have a 5dmk3 and 1 1dmk3 , i like the 1dmk3, i went to an airshow last year, i took 5,407 shots and the battery life had 51% left , that was using a 70-300L

Jan 05, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1D Mark III vs (possible) 7D MKII.

Paul Mo wrote:

Hasn't been released? It has not even been announced, nor have I seen any proof that it will be. Can you show us any comments from Canon suggesting such a camera?

Jan 05, 2013 at 12:08 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 1D Mark III vs (possible) 7D MKII.

mco_970 wrote:
Oh, I have my doubts about that. One thing 1D3 does not lack is IQ. It has big fat beautiful pixels that take processing well and print up superbly.

The only certainty is that 7D and 7D2 (will) have more pixels per duck.

The 1D bodies are element/weather sealed, rugged, with an extensive set of options, best AF...PRO GEARS...or did I miss why you get one

Kai did freeze in water, thaw out, then set on fire;torch a 7D body...but it's not really recommended...is it

Jan 05, 2013 at 12:47 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 1D Mark III vs (possible) 7D MKII.

I'm gonna be a salmon today and say the 7d does pretty much everything a 1d3 could and a whole lot more. If you are fine with 10mp then the 1d3 might be worth a go. But the weight of 1d-series gets annoying after awhile.

There are plenty of threads comparing the 7d with a 1d3/4. Aside from some misplaced 1d-fetish romanticism, the 7d is highly capable camera that is just more versatile than a 1d3.

If you want to have the flexibility to shoot fast movers and then switch to hdslr or flash commanding then the 7d is the right choice.

Jan 05, 2013 at 01:07 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 1D Mark III vs (possible) 7D MKII.

M Lucca wrote:
I'm gonna be a salmon today and say the 7d does pretty much everything a 1d3 could and a whole lot more. If you are fine with 10mp then the 1d3 might be worth a go. But the weight of 1d-series gets annoying after awhile.

There are plenty of threads comparing the 7d with a 1d3/4. Aside from some misplaced 1d-fetish romanticism, the 7d is highly capable camera that is just more versatile than a 1d3.

If you want to have the flexibility to shoot fast movers and then switch to hdslr or flash commanding then the 7d is
...Show more

Well I love my 7D and still have it, but when the heat was on and AF performance was paramount, 1D III is simply a better camera. It will acquire a lock faster and it is more stable long burst of shots and handles erratic fast subjects better. If you can use a longer FL with it to make up for the somewhat low pixel count and so you don't have to crop too much, 1D III will reward you very handsomely. In most situations outside these, 7D is a better camera in many regards and is still my go to birding camera if FL is an issue.

Jan 05, 2013 at 05:53 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 1D Mark III vs (possible) 7D MKII.

Lars Johnsson wrote:
1D3 is a great camera. Forget the 7D2. We don't even know if such a camera will be released. If so it will take very long time until you can buy one.
Battery life is outstanding and I can very easy take between 3000-5000 photos with one battery.
Here are a lot of pics from Thailand with that camera http://www.pbase.com/larsjohnsson

Nice shots Lars. Very nice.

Jan 05, 2013 at 06:13 PM
jbfaulconer
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 1D Mark III vs (possible) 7D MKII.

Paul Mo wrote:
Hi. Would it be insane to buy a near mint 1D Mark III now, rather than a future purchase of a 7D MKII? If not the Mark III, I am open to suggestions as to other 1D models at a similar price.

Megapixels don't matter to me, but picture qualities do.

Users, how is the battery life?

Can you post to links to your favorite Mark III images? Nowadays, how do you think the images and their inherent characteristics fare?

It would complement my 5D MKIII providing reach and higher fps, the pleasure of owning a pro body, and ruggedness, would be
...Show more

I can't make a determination based on no specs for the 7d. I have a 7d and for me to buy another, Canon better improve the quality of their high ISO capability. The 7d is horrible. ISO 1600 is as high as I will go on mine and I need more than that.

Jan 05, 2013 at 06:44 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 1D Mark III vs (possible) 7D MKII.

M Lucca wrote:

If you want to have the flexibility to shoot fast movers and then switch to hdslr or flash commanding then the 7d is
...Show more

You must be joking. The performance of a 7D is not even close to the 1D3/4. And you say the 7D can do pretty much everything the 1D3 can. Here are a few things it can't do, and the 1D3 is much better at.

AF
AI servo tracking
10 fp/s
Two memory card slots
shutter durability
weather sealing
shutter lag
VF blackout
Focus screens changing (many different)
MF
Viewfinder is much better
Battery capacity
Shooting in portrait orientation

Jan 05, 2013 at 09:38 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.