Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · NIKONS ALL-AROUNDER? (1DMK4)

dgenx24
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · NIKONS ALL-AROUNDER? (1DMK4)

Hi, Nikon folks.

I've been a minolta and canon shooter since film.. and I know nothing about nikon except 14-24 makes me want to switch.
I use my canon only for landscape and birding and for everything else I use leica.

I have 1DMK4 (1.3x)
sigma 12-24 II for landscape (that makes 15.6- 31.2mm) (not a bad lens but could be sharper)
300mm 2.8 IS v1 + 1.4 & 2x converters (that makes 546mm & 780mm) for birding (which is a bit too short but extremely sharp and fast with 1.4x)
and for anything in between, I use 70-300L which I can live without.
#1 prioriy is landscape, #2 is birding, #3 priority is strobe photography.

Just curious what the equivalent Nikon set up would be. I like to have just one body, the excellent 14-24, & a telephoto prime with converters and STILL HAVE equivalent IQ, SPEED, & FOCAL LENGTH (could be longer)

I know d4 is full frame like 1dx which will make me spend a fortune on tele prime. I'm not looking for the top camera (maybe) since 1DMK4 IQ & speed is enough for me and 1.3 crop makes it a all-arounder.

I'm not asking because canon is not good enough, both system will be more than enough for me.
I'm just curious since I only live once and just like to enjoy something that I haven't done (Nikon)
I'll probably not going to switch anytime soon. Just like to hear some ideas..

thanks in advance!

Jan 04, 2013 at 10:50 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · NIKONS ALL-AROUNDER? (1DMK4)

D3 offers 1.5x crop, d3s and d4 offer 1.2x and 1.5x crop...they're all cleaner and better IQ than the mark 4, and basically just as fast (d3 and d3s 9fps fx or 10/11fps dx) or faster (d4 10fps fx with af, 11fps fx no af) than the mark 4....although the speed part is splitting hairs...

Personally, i'd just stick with what you have...if you really like that 1.3x happy medium between 1.5x and FX, and you already have glass, just run what you brung.......

Jan 04, 2013 at 11:35 PM
akul
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · NIKONS ALL-AROUNDER? (1DMK4)

Or, you just get D800E and crop as you need.

Jan 04, 2013 at 11:46 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · NIKONS ALL-AROUNDER? (1DMK4)

Also, i forgot to mention one little caveat, the crop modes on the D3/D3s, D4, are all at reduced resolution, the D3/s more so than the D4...they're down around 5mp in 1.5x mode, and a little larger in 1.2x....could be a deal breaker for you...that's another reason why i suggested to stick with what you got.....

I didn't mention the D800/800E b/c he's shooting with a "pro body" now, in the 1d4, and he may not wanna go to a "semi pro" body, without the build quality, grip, faster AF, and responsiveness of the "pro body" (although we all know the classification of the body has nothing to do with the skill of the user or the quality of photos it can record)....Plus he may need the 10fps....if he didn't NEED all of that, and was willing to give it up, then yes, the D800/800E would be prob the "best all-arounder" from Nikon...

Jan 05, 2013 at 12:33 AM
dgenx24
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · NIKONS ALL-AROUNDER? (1DMK4)

thanks NathanHamler & Akul!

So the crop mode doesn't seem so intriguing as I could just use photoshop to crop from full frame or even from 1dmk4.
D800 seems like nice camera too but I need to spend alot to have 600mm-ish lens.

Trying to have only one body, well it seems like at this point, all I can do is grab the 14-24 with adaptor to use with what I got.
or win the lotto to enjoy both worlds..

thanks guys for your time!

Jan 05, 2013 at 12:53 AM
Gregstx
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · NIKONS ALL-AROUNDER? (1DMK4)

Nathan, I think most would disagree that the 1DMK4 is faster focusing than the D800. And the 36mp of the D800 would more than make up for the 1.3 crop mode. FYI the D800 does have pro built ruggedness with a magnesium chassis, moisture sealing and dust sealing. You're correct about the D800 lacking the grip. But that would be easy to add if the op wanted that. Some don't. I don't remember the fps of the 1DMk4 but I would think it is faster than the D800 if that is important to the OP. trenchmonkey has already proven that the D800 is an awesome bif camera. And the D800e is probably the ultimate landscape camera.

Jan 05, 2013 at 01:01 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · NIKONS ALL-AROUNDER? (1DMK4)

dgenx24 wrote:
D800 seems like nice camera too but I need to spend alot to have 600mm-ish lens.

Well, the good thing about the D800 is it has crop modes as well, 1.2x and 1.5x, but since the sensor is 36mp in FX mode, the crop modes are 24mp and 16mp respectively.....so you're really not losing much by shooting in crop mode....OR just cropping after the fact.....36mp resolves so much detail, you can crop really hard and it'll still look great....BUT, the D800 has a smaller pixel pitch, which makes errors in technique show up almost like a high MP DX body....that's why i love my D3....Pixels the size of golfballs compared to some DX bodies...shows way less of my shortcomings....

Jan 05, 2013 at 01:04 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · NIKONS ALL-AROUNDER? (1DMK4)

Gregstx wrote:
FYI the D800 does have pro built ruggedness with a magnesium chassis, moisture sealing and dust sealing.

yeah, it's built nicely, don't get me wrong, but overall the D3/s/x/D4 are still built tougher, and i'd venture to say the 1d series is as well...and when i say the D3/s/x/D4 are "faster" than the "semi pro" bodies like the D800/700/300/300s/, it's more than just about frame rate...it's responsiveness, shutter blackout, AF responsiveness (faster AF processing), shutter lag, etc....and personally i feel they are built more solid as well...

I never said the D800 AF wasn't capable, it has the same basic AF module as the D3/s/x/D4....but the 1d series is no slouch either....they don't exactly suck....far from it.....

Jan 05, 2013 at 01:12 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · NIKONS ALL-AROUNDER? (1DMK4)

And BTW, Trenchmonkey is a freak of nature....and i mean that with the utmost respect :-) He could prove that a D70 is a capable BIF camera.....or a Leica M9 for that matter!

Jan 05, 2013 at 01:14 AM
dgenx24
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · NIKONS ALL-AROUNDER? (1DMK4)

thanks guys for the input!
I'm pretty sure even d800 will be more than enough.
But i'm spoiled by bigger body and don't think I would want to go reverse even if the spec is little nicer. Well for me at least, I guess it's more about fit and handling.
I'll do more homework

Jan 05, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · NIKONS ALL-AROUNDER? (1DMK4)

you can keep what you have and buy a converter to mount the 12-24 Nikon lens on your 1D4 and save a ton of money.

Jan 05, 2013 at 11:05 AM
dgenx24
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · NIKONS ALL-AROUNDER? (1DMK4)

Kenneth Farver wrote:
you can keep what you have and buy a converter to mount the 12-24 Nikon lens on your 1D4 and save a ton of money.

Yes I've been thinking about that all year.
My idea was just to venture out to a different world. and that sounds exciting since I live only once. lol

Jan 05, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Gary Irwin
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · NIKONS ALL-AROUNDER? (1DMK4)

dgenx24 wrote:
I have 1DMK4 (1.3x)
sigma 12-24 II for landscape (that makes 15.6- 31.2mm) (not a bad lens but could be sharper)
300mm 2.8 IS v1 + 1.4 & 2x converters (that makes 546mm & 780mm) for birding (which is a bit too short but extremely sharp and fast with 1.4x)
and for anything in between, I use 70-300L which I can live without.
#1 prioriy is landscape, #2 is birding, #3 priority is strobe photography.

Just curious what the equivalent Nikon set up would be. I like to have just one body, the excellent 14-24, & a telephoto prime with converters and STILL HAVE
...Show more

Couple of thoughts...

Firstly, there's no equivalent to the 1D4 on the Nikon side. If you need speed the current choice is the D4...superior ISO performance and AF, but lower resolution as compared to the 1D4. The D3/s doesn't have enough resolution for birds...(its equivalent to 7MP as compared to the 1D4).

Of course, shooting landscapes and birds are two completely different pursuits normally requiring two different systems to "do right" (i.e. high resolution for landscapes/resolution + speed for birds). Certainly the D800/E is an easy choice for landscapes (though there's nothing wrong with the less expensive D600 either). Unfortunately there's nothing ideal for birders right now -- we're all waiting for the D300s replacement or possibly a high speed, high resolution D4 (D4x?).

But fortunately the D800/E does provide a decent compromise. Gobs of resolution for both pursuits, but the lack of speed will hinder BIF shooting. There are plenty of wide angle lens options for landscapes, but going FX will necessitate spending a lot of money on telephoto glass -- 500VR is my personal recommendation.

As a birder, I've gone from the D3/D300 to 1D4 and now to the D800, which is working reasonably well for me while I wait for the D300s replacement or high resolution/speed D4.

In your shoes, the D800/E is likely the best choice, with the understanding that BIF will be compromised. IMO the "potential" IQ from the D800 (i.e. when the camera is properly used) is better than anything Canon currently has...emphasis on "currently".

Good luck!

Jan 05, 2013 at 11:37 AM
dgenx24
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · NIKONS ALL-AROUNDER? (1DMK4)

Thanks Gary!!
You summed it up nicely, just what I needed to know.

Jan 05, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · NIKONS ALL-AROUNDER? (1DMK4)

Wasn't there just an announcement...or was it a "rumor"...that Canon is bringing forth a 14-24 wide lens?

Jan 05, 2013 at 02:12 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.