New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Thinking of having the D600

lottel
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Thinking of having the D600

I am trying to move to the D600 from a D300. I am an avid enthusiast. With the D300, I can only go so far with the ISO but the built of the D300 is outstanding. I have been around unforgiving places with my D300 and was very trusty. The D600 after trying it is not as massively built as the D300. It is very lightweight. Sort of a toy. My question is, is the D600 body built the same as the D300? Is the weather sealing any different than the D300? Also, the dust issue... is it a result of manufacturing and not from any defect in sealing? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Jan 04, 2013 at 04:01 PM
Jun Zhou
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Thinking of having the D600

D600 is half alum and plastic, so you won't get full alum. body. For this price, $1600 or so you can get a FX body is good enough. For the dust or "debris", you can clean it by yourself, or you can wait for a few months until Nikon solves the problem and I just wish nikon will do a product recall to fix the issue.

Jan 04, 2013 at 04:12 PM
PeaktoPeek
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Thinking of having the D600

I just got a D600 myself. I backpack into the middle of the wilderness, and I am not worried about the build quality of the D600 in the slightest. My 5D survived without a scratch for 5 1/2 years (and without weather sealing), through rain, cold and sandstorms. I appreciate that the D600 is lighter, because when you are carrying 50lbs of gear over a pass at 12k feet every ounce counts. I have to chuckle a little when somebody complains about the build quality of non-entry level cameras, I just wonder what they are hoping to use their camera for
Paul

Jan 04, 2013 at 06:17 PM
20four80five
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Thinking of having the D600

PeaktoPeek wrote:
I just got a D600 myself. I backpack into the middle of the wilderness, and I am not worried about the build quality of the D600 in the slightest. My 5D survived without a scratch for 5 1/2 years (and without weather sealing), through rain, cold and sandstorms. I appreciate that the D600 is lighter, because when you are carrying 50lbs of gear over a pass at 12k feet every ounce counts. I have to chuckle a little when somebody complains about the build quality of non-entry level cameras, I just wonder what they are hoping to use their camera
...Show more

+1 well said.

Jan 04, 2013 at 06:48 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Thinking of having the D600

Now that I own one I find it as nice a compliment to the D800e as my D300 was to my D700.

Interestingly, the very thing Nikon is touting about the D600 is what you do not like about it.

The body is magnesium alloy and polycarbonite.

FROM THEIR WEBSITE:
Nikon engineers trimmed both the size and weight without
sacrificing ruggedness. The D600 uses durable magnesium
alloy for the top and rear frames, which helps keep it light
while protecting the sensitive technologies within from
accidental shock. Extensive weather sealing gives the D600
dust- and moisture-proof protection that is just as reliable as
its higher-end cousins, the Nikon D800 series, allowing you
to work in harsh environments.

Jan 04, 2013 at 07:47 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Thinking of having the D600

Edited on Jan 04, 2013 at 08:17 PM · View previous versions

Jan 04, 2013 at 07:47 PM
MackDaddy1962
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Thinking of having the D600

It's build quality is every bit as good as my D7k, and it's yet to let me down. Granted, it's no D700 "tank" build, but I'm really happy with the D600 thus far. IQ is stunning!

Jan 04, 2013 at 08:08 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.