FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Cloudless Utah Morning

gordon l
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cloudless Utah Morning

Taken in Snow Canyon state park. I hope to return when some clouds will liven up the skies.
http://gordonsmith.smugmug.com/Other/Daily-Landscape-2012/i-r6QJNSk/0/XL/Petrified%20Dunes%20at%20Sunrise-XL.jpg
http://gordonsmith.smugmug.com/Other/Daily-Landscape-2012/i-7VbLrzz/0/XL/Sunrise%20without%20Clouds-XL.jpg

Jan 04, 2013 at 10:50 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cloudless Utah Morning

Love the dance of the shadows on the first!
Douglas

Jan 04, 2013 at 12:17 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cloudless Utah Morning

Hey Gordon,

It looks like an interesting place. Too bad there weren't clouds for you. #1 is my favorite, mainly because you did a better job in #1 in retaining the sky, and even then I think you could pull down with some more sky detail. In #2, the sky feels blown out it is so white.

Jim

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:07 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cloudless Utah Morning

Nice images. The light in No. 1 is sweeter, but maybe a little more processing with No. 2 can make it pop better. I like the leading lines in No. 2

Jan 04, 2013 at 02:16 PM
gordon l
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cloudless Utah Morning

Thanks everyone. I really hope to make more of this close location over the next few years (hopefully coming back with a certain winner).

Jim, there were absolutely no clouds this morning and the sky was as blank and uninteresting as you could ever imagine. I tried darkening the image and getting sky detail, but it really isn't there. The whole image just darkened to the point of losing any good quality it had. So, I said the heck with it, and I processed for the ground and let the sky blow out.

Thanks for all the input. It's kind-of what I expected.

Gordon

Jan 05, 2013 at 08:16 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cloudless Utah Morning

Gordon it looks like a really interesting location. Sometimes, as you know, all the elements just won't come together. The sky in Utah can make or break a picture. It's the old story, you go back and back...

Personally, I'm partial to number two. I like the pothole water.

Jan 05, 2013 at 10:25 AM
Irishman

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cloudless Utah Morning

Looks like a great location to shoot! If you would add a blue sky to the first it would improve it. As to the second--what a great spot! I think you should have worked the location harder to come up with some more interesting angles. It's not often you see a big sink hole like that with a tree growing in it and full of water. I would have gotten really close, low and wide on that pot hole. Maybe use a fisheye as well.

Jan 05, 2013 at 01:05 PM
gordon l
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cloudless Utah Morning

Irishman wrote:
Looks like a great location to shoot! If you would add a blue sky to the first it would improve it. As to the second--what a great spot! I think you should have worked the location harder to come up with some more interesting angles. It's not often you see a big sink hole like that with a tree growing in it and full of water. I would have gotten really close, low and wide on that pot hole. Maybe use a fisheye as well.

Thanks and I have few responses:

I did try a lot of closer shots of the pothole,even getting in the water, but felt this comp. worked the best. There were some creepy wormy things I saw int he water and I decided not to stay in very long.

Call me stubborn or stupid, but I don't feel right about "adding a blue sky" to the first. The conditions were what they were and I shot them as is. I have done processing to capture as much as I could. I don't mind blending multiple exposures, etc. But I don't feel right about taking some other dramatic sky and mixing it it.

Gordon

Jan 07, 2013 at 05:55 PM
deepjay
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cloudless Utah Morning

Gordon,
Did you try decreasing blue luminosity in HSL? It might work to make the sky bluer without being artificial.
Dave

Jan 07, 2013 at 07:11 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.