Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       end

Archive 2013 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

Jon_Doh
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

Too many features left off. It feels like a skinned down camera. For about the same money I could get a refurbished D800.

Jan 06, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Peacekpr
• •
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

stanj wrote:
Because a 5D3 and 1DX is enough for now

That pretty well sums it up. Even the last generation are workhorses. Our 1DsIII, 5DII, and 7D cover off all our needs perfectly. We looked at the 6D but it was just too small for my hand and my wife didn't like the balance wit a 70-200 v2 or even the 24-70 v2. It was fine with the 100 L macro though.

I still loved the value for the price. A FF for that cost is pretty good. It just lacked the feel we're used too.

I will recommend it to advanced amateurs with potential.

Jan 06, 2013 at 11:16 AM
parquin

p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

If it suits your needs then, indeed, why woud't you get it?

Since you asked abouth others; I had a 1DmII, then a 5DmkII, 1DmIV and a 1Dx so it would not be an advancement for me. Indeed, the 5DmII was a wrong move for me. That does not make it any less suitable for you.

Jan 06, 2013 at 11:33 AM
mgkaplan
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

Put a 6D in your hands.

Walk around with it for hours and shoot as much as you can.

Put it through its paces under your typical shooting conditions and also in low light. Low light autofocus and high ISO performance are stellar. Handling is intuitive.

Critically examine the output.

The camera is absolutely excellent. It performs. Unless you are into fast action sports of very serious video (which granted, the 5D3 does better) the 6D is brilliant.

I have had mine for about 6 weeks and, unlike other bodies that I have had, I just can't let this one out of my hands.

Jan 06, 2013 at 12:31 PM
blooninja

p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

So low light AF is fast and reliable? Suddenly sounds more interesting....

Jan 06, 2013 at 01:06 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

blooninja wrote:
So low light AF is fast and reliable? Suddenly sounds more interesting....

As far I found out center AF in low(est) light looks like being fast and reliable.

Jan 06, 2013 at 01:23 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

I was out shooting in my backyard last night. I couldn't see the target, but the center AF could.

But the outer AF points suck in good light. They work about as well as they do on a 5D2. Maybe worse.

Jan 06, 2013 at 01:46 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

The era of it being acceptable for a $2k+ camera not having peripheral cross-point AF sensors is long behind us.

Jan 06, 2013 at 01:51 PM
Killergoalie
• •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

Too small (I like the 1 series cameras with the built-in grip), and too slow...10 FPS or more please.

Jan 06, 2013 at 01:54 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
I was out shooting in my backyard last night. I couldn't see the target, but the center AF could.

But the outer AF points suck in good light. They work about as well as they do on a 5D2. Maybe worse.

Hmmmm, that's conradictory on the outer points from what some other people were claiming....but inline with what I observed in the camera shop.

With the center point, how well does it track in low light. How well does it keep focus on moving kids indoors. I understand it can aquire focus in dim light, but how well does it keep focus as the subject moves.

Jan 06, 2013 at 02:03 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

Ralph Conway wrote:
As far I found out center AF in low(est) light looks like being fast and reliable.

Ralph, you also claim there is a huge difference in AF with the outer points compared to the 5d2. Is this truly the case. Have others who had experience with both cameras also noticed a huge difference between the 5d2 and 6d outer points.

The little testing I did in a camera shop really could not see any difference at all...both basically being pretty poor, especially indoors.

Jan 06, 2013 at 02:09 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

chez wrote:
Ralph, you also claim there is a huge difference in AF with the outer points compared to the 5d2. Is this truly the case. Have others who had experience with both cameras also noticed a huge difference between the 5d2 and 6d outer points.

The little testing I did in a camera shop really could not see any difference at all...both basically being pretty poor, especially indoors.

During photokina I was not allowed to put a SD card inside. So I did not get any images from testing to check if and how accurate the outer points worked. But the responded all and very fast in standard exhibition light. And it felt that they work accurate in VF and zoomed in on the display. My 5D II was lame compared to it under same light conditions (when it found focus on the left/right outer points - the upper and down ones or the inbetweens never really worked reliable in any light).

Most who already shoot it, are happy with the AF performance. Maybe many did not use a 5D II before. I guess RobDickinson surely did:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1176041/4#11235775
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1179523/0#11244661

Jan 06, 2013 at 02:25 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

Don't forget, optical light projection is changing while short & fast lens stopping down and this matter shall challenge any AF system. I hardly believe lower D series having any AF compensation error for this optical effect. So, seeing and locking better does not means your final focal plane always at 1/3 dof. I would think twice about focussing screen option if you are frequently shooting with most fast lenses.

You can ignore this optical effect if you have f4 and slower in shorter lenses.

Jan 06, 2013 at 03:35 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

Shutterbug2006 wrote:

agreed.....I went to the local best buy and was comparing the 6D with the D600. The outer AF points on the D600 were working well the 6D not so much, a lot of hunting going on. This was in a well lit area and was trying to hit on areas of good contrast

Jan 06, 2013 at 04:44 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

Michaelparris wrote:
agreed.....I went to the local best buy and was comparing the 6D with the D600. The outer AF points on the D600 were working well the 6D not so much, a lot of hunting going on. This was in a well lit area and was trying to hit on areas of good contrast

Assumed one with 24LII @ f2.8 shot, below is an optical effect sample that screws up an AF calculation that i have discussed earlier. Look at small black marks (focus shift) during AFed and image recorded.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8199/8230771887_4ea1af8dfa_b.jpg

You can see not so much for the shift if you've used an AF center point. An off center optical error AF compensation system might be exits in Canon bodies but not in 5/6/7 or lower series for sure and you know how canon marketing work.

Jan 06, 2013 at 04:47 PM
ardvorak
• • •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

For me, I would have felt like I'd settled for the 6D. What I really wanted was the 5D III, as I appreciate the beefier AF capabilities and build. The 6D is no slouch, however; I played with one and it did not feel like a 60D, though I did miss the multi-controller.

Jan 06, 2013 at 08:59 PM
ISO1600
• • • • •
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · Why "wont" you be getting the 6d.....

I will admit that if i could have afforded a 5DIII, I'd have loved to get one, but the 6D is more affordable. Works great for me thus far.

Jan 06, 2013 at 09:44 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.