New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Camera scanning

JMShort
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Camera scanning

Is anybody on the forum doing this; using a macro set-up with their dslr to digitize film negs and slides as an alternative method to scanning?

I'm hoping to do this. I was never happy with the quality scans I got with my film scanner from traditional black-and-white negatives and Silverfast has not come out with software updates for my Konica/Minolta Dimage Elite 5400 II scanner so I can't use it with my current Mac OS anyway.

I've got thousands of 35 slides and negs I'd like to digitize and camera scanning would be a lot faster. I've got a beautiful Zeiss Luminar 63mm f4.5 macro lens (flat-field corrected and 1:1 optimized) I'd love to attach to a bellows on my 5D mk III and systematically digitize all these images.

I'd love to hear of any set-ups people might be using. Thanks!

All the best

J Michael

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:31 PM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Camera scanning

Funny you should bring this up. I just happened to see this article right before Christmas and I was pretty impressed with this person's results.

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/12/24/how-to-scan-your-film-using-a-digital-camera-and-macro-lens/

I have the 5400 II also as well as an Epson v700 but the article really made me think. I bet you could do fluid mounting with a setup like this pretty easy, too. The stitching for the hi-res images will obviously add to the time but still interesting. Unfortunately, I have come to the conclusion that there is no magic film-scanning solution that provides high-quality and quick scanning/defect removal. You can have it quick or you can have it good. It's pretty tough to have both.

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:43 PM
JMShort
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Camera scanning

That article on Petapixel looks promising.

I just pulled out my old reference book for working with the Luminar, "Photography in Industry", Verlag Grossbild-Technik 1967, (I've had the book about 37 years and the lens about 34 years) and it informs me the 63mm is optimal at 3 times magnificaition, which would make it perfect for the stitch/tile technique!
I think I would do that for a select group of images but do a quick 1:1 camera scan of the entire project to use as digital reference.

Jan 03, 2013 at 07:24 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.