Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · RRS TVC-34L Breaks within 4 days!! (customer service win!)

killersnowman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · RRS TVC-34L Breaks within 4 days!! (customer service win!)

Yes, i know, a sensational headline... I live in Paso Robles so i drove down to San Luis Obispo on Friday afternoon to buy a tvc-34l and bh-55 setup. My initial impressions were very positive! Great ballhead and an impressive tripod. One thing I really like about the tripod legs is the ratcheting leg angle locks. It is a wonderful system that lets you pop the angle lock out and position the leg at any angle and then as you close the leg back it rachets into each subsequent leg angle. Very fast and easy.

This is where the problem is... One leg the ratcheting mechanism has stopped working! The angle lock will lock open but then it never closes without you pushing it shut. And when it is shut it is now loose and flopping around.

Has anyone had this experience? I used it on two days! Light shooting! No abuse! Unexceptable for the price that is charged for the tripod!

Update: Took it in on Friday and they fixed it in around 10mins. Yay! Great job guys

Edited on Jan 05, 2013 at 10:50 AM · View previous versions

Jan 03, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Gene_C
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · RRS TVC-34L Breaks within 4 days!! (customer service win!)

Wouldn't it have been better to have taken it back to RRS for a replacement instead of broadcasting such a minor problem around the world. Give RRS a chance to correct the problem Just sayin.....

gene

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:20 AM
plubbry
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · RRS TVC-34L Breaks within 4 days!! (customer service win!)

Sounds like the spring in the ratchet mechanism has broken. BTW, it appears this was not an uncommon problem on earlier production runs that was supposedly fixed with a redesign. I would imagine RRS will quickly take care of this for you.

See comments at bottom of:
http://diglloyd.com/blog/2011/20110719_1-ReallyRightStuff-tripods.html

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:42 AM
spdntrxi
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · RRS TVC-34L Breaks within 4 days!! (customer service win!)

30 min away max... Go down there and let them take a look

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:46 AM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · RRS TVC-34L Breaks within 4 days!! (customer service win!)

geniousc wrote:
Wouldn't it have been better to have taken it back to RRS for a replacement instead of broadcasting such a minor problem around the world. Give RRS a chance to correct the problem Just sayin.....

gene

That would be far too logical and easy... I just wanted to know if this has happened to any other owners

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:48 AM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · RRS TVC-34L Breaks within 4 days!! (customer service win!)

plubbry wrote:
Sounds like the spring in the ratchet mechanism has broken. BTW, it appears this was not an uncommon problem on earlier production runs that was supposedly fixed with a redesign. I would imagine RRS will quickly take care of this for you.

See comments at bottom of:
http://diglloyd.com/blog/2011/20110719_1-ReallyRightStuff-tripods.html

Interesting... Thanks for this link

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:53 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · RRS TVC-34L Breaks within 4 days!! (customer service win!)

I have one of the original 10 TVC 33 built. I haven't had an issue with mine. but I was advised that it might be a good idea to send it in and have it updated, on them. I will keep an eye on mine once returned. as with all other gear/technology. there will be issues that can be resolved usually. I'll stick with it. like my TQC14 too.

as far as any technology and manufacturing you'd think a $200m plane like the state of the art B787 would be absolutely perfect out of the box. NOT! and that's my issue to deal with and it's got a pretty good warranty.

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:23 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · RRS TVC-34L Breaks within 4 days!! (customer service win!)

It doesn't surprise me at all. Practically every RRS product I have with moving parts malfunctions in some odd way. However, it's not like there are a lot of alternatives.

EBH

Jan 03, 2013 at 07:04 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · RRS TVC-34L Breaks within 4 days!! (customer service win!)

then it's possible the wrong gear for you. I suggest you find something more appropriate. there's always alternatives, such as like rebar and concrete. these might present a bit more of a challenge

Jan 03, 2013 at 10:05 PM
Matthew Scott

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · RRS TVC-34L Breaks within 4 days!! (customer service win!)

They're great about helping with any problems. I got one of their first tripods and some of the joints were allowing slippage, but after they promptly fixed that by installing a corrected design joint there were no further problems. I've got three of their tripods now and have found them to be excellent, along with a variety of ball heads and plates. I am happy to say that I have not had EBH's experience. On the other hand I've had bad experiences with three Gitzo tripods failing (glue joints and feet) and with very slow repair times. I still occasionally use my older Gitzo that has not had problems.

Jan 03, 2013 at 10:22 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · RRS TVC-34L Breaks within 4 days!! (customer service win!)

EB-1 wrote:
It doesn't surprise me at all. Practically every RRS product I have with moving parts malfunctions in some odd way. However, it's not like there are a lot of alternatives.

EBH

So the only thing that works well are the camera plates and L plates?

Jan 03, 2013 at 10:43 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · RRS TVC-34L Breaks within 4 days!! (customer service win!)

Matthew Scott wrote:
They're great about helping with any problems. I got one of their first tripods and some of the joints were allowing slippage, but after they promptly fixed that by installing a corrected design joint there were no further problems. I've got three of their tripods now and have found them to be excellent, along with a variety of ball heads and plates. I am happy to say that I have not had EBH's experience. On the other hand I've had bad experiences with three Gitzo tripods failing (glue joints and feet) and with very slow repair times. I still
...Show more

Yea I contacted them and I'm going to take it in to be fixed tomorrow after work. I'll give a report on how it goes tomorrow

Jan 03, 2013 at 10:45 PM
godfather
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · RRS TVC-34L Breaks within 4 days!! (customer service win!)

sjms wrote:
as far as any technology and manufacturing you'd think a $200m plane like the state of the art B787 would be absolutely perfect out of the box. NOT! and that's my issue to deal with and it's got a pretty good warranty.

Always found it odd that you can pay 30k and have a car that is good to go for 100k miles. However, you spend 600k on a new personal plane and maintenance fun starts from day one

Jan 03, 2013 at 10:48 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · RRS TVC-34L Breaks within 4 days!! (customer service win!)

Matthew Scott wrote:
They're great about helping with any problems. I got one of their first tripods and some of the joints were allowing slippage, but after they promptly fixed that by installing a corrected design joint there were no further problems. I've got three of their tripods now and have found them to be excellent, along with a variety of ball heads and plates. I am happy to say that I have not had EBH's experience. On the other hand I've had bad experiences with three Gitzo tripods failing (glue joints and feet) and with very slow repair times. I still
...Show more

Gitzo/Manfrotto service is horrible. They rarely answer the phone and practically never answer e-mails. When my oldest CF tripod needed service after some years I just decided to give up on it and buy a new one.

EBH

Jan 03, 2013 at 10:58 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · RRS TVC-34L Breaks within 4 days!! (customer service win!)

killersnowman wrote:
So the only thing that works well are the camera plates and L plates?

Not exactly. Their other other products work quite well when they are working, but not so much when they malfunction. I almost always have a backup ball head handy, and backup legs if feasible.

EBH

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:01 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · RRS TVC-34L Breaks within 4 days!! (customer service win!)

EB-1 wrote:
Not exactly. Their other other products work quite well when they are working, but not so much when they malfunction. I almost always have a backup ball head handy, and backup legs if feasible.

EBH

K i was just joking but now you are freaking me out. So jts great stuff while its working? What good is that. What ever.

Jan 04, 2013 at 12:26 AM
spdntrxi
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · RRS TVC-34L Breaks within 4 days!! (customer service win!)

yeah almost everything is great while it's working.... RRS is quality stuff, I'm sure they will take care of you

Jan 04, 2013 at 12:43 AM
Chrissearle
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · RRS TVC-34L Breaks within 4 days!! (customer service win!)

RRS gives amazing service. One of the legs on my tripod became slightly loose whilst I was abroad. I emailed them and a) Got an almost instant reply and b) They mailed me the appropriate hex key and precise instructions for use FOC without me even asking. This is stellar service indeed and completely justifies the prices they ask, I'll certainly be buying from them again.

Jan 04, 2013 at 03:45 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · RRS TVC-34L Breaks within 4 days!! (customer service win!)

RRS is the best stuff ever made and a fire-sale deal at the prices it goes for at retail-- and all those Taiwanese knock-offs are terrible crap we should never even think about buying at such terrible prices...

*ducks for cover*

Jan 04, 2013 at 06:23 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · RRS TVC-34L Breaks within 4 days!! (customer service win!)

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

it is an imperfect world. but in the end I'd rather have their equipment and the matching service they give vs most of the rest.

Jan 04, 2013 at 07:47 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.