Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Canon's drop in CP filter

Tapeman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon's drop in CP filter

I have decided to get the new 500 f/4 IS and own the 300 f/2.8 IS.

I am wondering if I should get the filter holder that fits these lenses and use a B+W filter(s) or buy Canon's CP & holder.

Although I am not likely to use it often, I'd like to have one in my bag of tricks.

Will most filters be compatable with the filter holder, or will I need slim ones etc,?

Jan 03, 2013 at 01:55 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon's drop in CP filter

You'll want Canon's CP for the built in "wheel" to make adjustments. The drop in is fine with a standard ND.

Jan 03, 2013 at 02:45 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon's drop in CP filter

The Canon PL-C drop-in 52mm CP filter has a clever thumbwheel gizmo that allows you to rotate the CP filter while it's in place. It's the best CP solution, for sure.

The drop-in filter holder for 52mm filters takes 'regular' 52mm threaded, round filters, but the filter can't be rotated while the filter is in the lens. In order to use a 52mm B+W CP filter, you'd have to put it in, see what it's doing, take it out, rotate it a bit, put it back in, and see if it did what you wanted. You might be able to get the correct orientation with a single "through the filter" look, but the extra expense for the PL-C is well worth it, if you actually use a CP filter.

The drop-in 52mm gelatin filter that comes with the lens can be used with any single-layer filter that doesn't need to be rotated. You can get some relatively inexpensive Kodak Wratten Gel filter material (incl. ND and IR), and cut it to shape.

Jan 03, 2013 at 02:48 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password