New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Selling photos from online newspaper articles

acoll123
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Selling photos from online newspaper articles

Hi everyone,
I work part-time for an online, hyperlocal news group. They have two sister publications that cover anything and everything in two adjacent cities (Franklin and Brentwood) outside Nashville, Tennessee. Readership is up at both sites and the Facebook pages.
I work as an independent contractor for them and retain full copyright to the images I give them. They have no restrictions either but I only give them 600 x 600 dpi images - not really good enough for large prints. I generally load the keepers from my assignments to my web page on Zenfolio and usually sell a few a month (usually more during the High School sports seasons).
The owners have approached me about starting to sell the photos directly from the online pages where my photos are featured and then splitting the money earned.
So, I have a few questions for anyone already in a similar arrangement.
1. What is a reasonable profit split for this arrangement?
2. What hosting sites do you recommend. I am happy with Zenfolio but are there better ones for this situation?
3. What kind of license agreement should I put in place?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Andy

Jan 03, 2013 at 08:01 AM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Selling photos from online newspaper articles

I would take their 50-50 split, especially if the subject is personal sports pictures because: 1) You will strengthen your part-time position with them. 2) Any income is better than no (additional) income.

If you are happy with Zenfolio there is no need to change. There are no "better ones" at the price you are paying.

License agreement? Just get something in writing from them if you must. IMO, they would be doing you a favor. Save the "license agreement" for stock photography (with model releases). Publications have their own agreements. You either agree to their rules and appropriate compensation, or they look elsewhere.

Jan 03, 2013 at 09:35 AM
acoll123
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Selling photos from online newspaper articles

Thanks borderlight. Is a 50-50 profit split typical?

Jan 03, 2013 at 10:07 AM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Selling photos from online newspaper articles

Is a 50-50 profit split typical?

It sounds reasonable, and it's their offer. You don't want to negotiate your way out of a part-time job, do you? In return you are getting experience, visibility, and compensation. I am not sure how a local newspaper figures "money earned", but you should ask so there are no regrets down the line. Make sure that you have the option to decide what photos you want to split proceeds in case you shoot a Pulitzer.

Jan 03, 2013 at 10:56 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.