Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Prep Boys Basketball

rddayton
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Prep Boys Basketball

Shot my second high school game with the Nikon D3s. Used 70-200 for near court action and used the 300 for some far end action as well. Still working on finding the sweet spot when it comes to settings the the highly variable lighting basketball gyms. All shot Manual mode f 2.8 with SS of 800-1000. ISO floated.

Edited on Jan 03, 2013 at 12:42 PM · View previous versions

Jan 03, 2013 at 12:34 PM
acoll123
• •
p.1 #2 · Prep Boys Basketball

These look great to me. In focus, exposed well and pretty good white balance. It must be hard to achieve the last one given all of the yellow in the gym . . . The lights must be pretty good, it doesn't look like you really pushed the ISO in any of these. I can't even complain about the crops or the horizon - good job.

Jan 03, 2013 at 12:40 PM
rddayton
• • •
p.1 #3 · Prep Boys Basketball

acoll123 wrote:
These look great to me. In focus, exposed well and pretty good white balance. It must be hard to achieve the last one given all of the yellow in the gym . . . The lights must be pretty good, it doesn't look like you really pushed the ISO in any of these. I can't even complain about the crops or the horizon - good job.

Thanks for checking them out and keeping me honest on the horizons.

Oh those yellow walls. It was overwhelming. Gave a golden glow to the white jerseys that was tough to clean up - without changing everything else like skin tone.

The lights were decent -- and there was a huge row of flosted glass windows at the top of the gym that let in some ambient light with gave a little kick. Best part is there was never a place where the windows were in a shot -- and no shadows on the floor because of the frosted glass.

Jan 03, 2013 at 12:48 PM
BillP57
• • •
p.1 #4 · Prep Boys Basketball

Nice set, #2 is my favorite.

Bill

Jan 03, 2013 at 07:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

rddayton
• • •
p.1 #5 · Prep Boys Basketball

BillP57 wrote:
Nice set, #2 is my favorite.

Bill

I liked that one too Bill. Looked like he was running on air for about 1/2 of a second. Fun shot.

Jan 03, 2013 at 08:15 PM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Prep Boys Basketball

hey Rick, AutoWB handled it well...nice colors and action..first two look a tad under exposed to me. Not a huge fan of the cutoff in #4 (left side), but the cutoff doesn't bother me in #8. Do like #2 & #8...

Chris

Jan 03, 2013 at 09:23 PM
rddayton
• • •
p.1 #7 · Prep Boys Basketball

Aqualung wrote:
hey Rick, AutoWB handled it well...nice colors and action..first two look a tad under exposed to me. Not a huge fan of the cutoff in #4 (left side), but the cutoff doesn't bother me in #8. Do like #2 & #8...

Chris

Hey Chris, Much happier with AWB for this gym. Anything had to be better than the first go-round with sodium vapors, right? Here's a slightly wider version of #4. Any better? Not crazy about the other player in the fore-ground, but maybe it tells a more complete story than half a defender.

4. (re-cropped)

NIKON D3S    70.0-200.0 mm f/2.8 lens    160mm    f/2.8    1/1000s    11400 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 04, 2013 at 12:22 AM
MakoShark
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Prep Boys Basketball

real nice set Rick. Great attributes already mentioned and as I expected you and the D3s will be very happy together

#4 recrop is better IMO, but its one of those shots I get too often as well where a defender comes into play and botches up my angle. Either way attention is directed at the ball handler so I like either crop in the end.

I might also get rid of the hand in #9 sticking into the bottom of the frame.

I love the coaches expressions and will need to incorporate that into my shooting to help tell the games story.

Nice work as always.

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:51 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password