Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · How many photos for selection?

sivrajbm
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · How many photos for selection?

I was wondering how many photos do you deliver for selection. Say you have a package that calls for 100 photos. How many on average do you deliver for selection? 2/1, 3 or more to 1?

Jan 02, 2013 at 04:52 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #2 · How many photos for selection?

That's a tough one because the selection number is so big. At that size and larger, I tend to make the selections for the client. For example, with weddings, I deliver 300-600 images, out of the 2,500 or so I end up with at the end of the wedding day (mine plus my second shooter's). I make the culling choices and send the keepers to the client. That's part of what they pay me to do.

Even at 100 -- say, with an unusually big engagement shoot or portrait session -- I'd still tell the customer I expect to deliver about 100 images (I can't imagine doing that for these products -- my target is usually around 35, but for the sake of discussion, we'll go with your figure of 100). I'd shoot probably 250 to 300 and keep the best ones.

Who is your client in this scenario?

Jan 02, 2013 at 06:23 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · How many photos for selection?

I'm not entirely sure I understand the question (excuse my confusion).

I'd say I put my estimations a little lower, and usually deliver a little more. For example, I might estimate 40 images per hour, but then produce a little more than that. Usually only 10-15%. I'd never estimate less than what I think I'd deliver, I see no good in that.

If for selecting for printing an album (from the entire, processed set), I've started by delivering a pre-design of 15-25 spreads depending on the size of the wedding.

Is that what you meant?

Jan 02, 2013 at 06:28 PM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.1 #4 · How many photos for selection?

Sorry for the confusion. Wedding was shot, I had about 900 images. I culled it to 400, their packaged called for 120 images. So they can buy extra image (most times 20 - 50 extra). So I give the B/G a greater than 3x selection to package ratio.
I hope that clears this up.

Jarvis

Jan 02, 2013 at 06:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ricardovaste
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · How many photos for selection?

I understand now. I'm curious, why aren't you selling all of the images together, or in other words, limiting the number of images? That can make it feel like you're withholding images from the client, which obviously isn't a good thing, and seems a bit unnecessary. Why not offer less hours if you want to do a lower package?

Jan 02, 2013 at 07:34 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #6 · How many photos for selection?

I do not think many here use that pricing model. I have worked with one photographer who used that setup (I was helping out an inlaw with selection).

This photographer did not even select the best shot out of a series of identical shots (4 shots using the same composition for ring shots, etc). It made selection a nightmare as the client kept going back and forth thinking she was missing something and picked the wrong one. IMO, as long as you are <10-20:1 and have culled out any functionally duplicate shots... you are doing fine. There is no way to have that pricing model and not have some issues.

I do think that the less overwhelming it is, the higher your chances for additional sales, so I would try to keep the number of shots down and use the nicest delivery method possible.

Jan 02, 2013 at 07:35 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #7 · How many photos for selection?

Wedding was shot, I had about 900 images. I culled it to 400, their packaged called for 120 images. So they can buy extra image (most times 20 - 50 extra). So I give the B/G a greater than 3x selection to package ratio.

That's an interesting approach. I'm not sure what the best way to handle that might be. I assume the goal is to upsell them to a larger number or the entire finished collection? I think you're right to aim for a pool of no more than, say, 400 from which to select. More than that and they'll start to blend together, but if the price is right, they might just buy the entire collection.

I'd be curious if you have time to explain, why do you package your product this way, as opposed to offering the full collection? Or did this particular client just happen to select a stripped-down option?

Jan 02, 2013 at 08:28 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password