Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · The art of selling albums

Brian Virts
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The art of selling albums

I've been shooting weddings for a few years now, and I still can't seem to sell an album. I have two great sample Albums from Red Tree that I get positive feedback on all the time. I had two clients last Fall that were interested then, but I would have had to outsource the work, so I deferred them to the first of the year, and no shocker they both aren't interested now. So, I know that I'm the problem, I'm just trying to figure how to better serve my clients and obviously capitalize on the business. I have put a 10x10 album in my 2013 (highest) package.

What has worked for you? Forced in a package? ad hoc? timing? Any help appreciated!

Jan 02, 2013 at 11:19 AM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The art of selling albums

If you put an album in your highest package it probably looks like an extravagance to your clients. You might be sending a message that is working against your goals. What is the cost of the album (to the client) relative to your service cost?

- trr

Jan 02, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The art of selling albums

What's the price of your album relative to your other rates?

Jan 02, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Brian Virts
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The art of selling albums

The 10x10 from red tree is roughly XXX, and the 12x12 is XXX, I was selling them for an estimated XXX and XXX.

Edited on Jan 02, 2013 at 06:02 PM · View previous versions

Jan 02, 2013 at 11:29 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The art of selling albums

How else to you sell / package images?

Jan 02, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Brian Virts
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The art of selling albums

Those clients were both in the $2500-$2800 range e-shoot, 8 hours of wedding with a second.

Jan 02, 2013 at 11:30 AM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The art of selling albums

Your relative rates are your problem. The album is about 50% of the cost of the coverage. You're better off (financially) raising rates on your service and not bothering with the album.

- trr

Jan 02, 2013 at 11:32 AM
Brian Virts
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The art of selling albums

Ok, thanks, that's what I've done this year. I'm at $3XXX with a second for 8 hours. The e-shoot I've removed from the package, but I offer it as a free incentive.

Edited on Jan 02, 2013 at 01:56 PM · View previous versions

Jan 02, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Brian Virts
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The art of selling albums

My top package is 1k more with the album and a slideshow. See, I want to create that slideshow and host viewings (wine and cheese) at my place and then move into the album. So, I'm trying to bridge this, and I'm sure it will come, it's still UN-chartered water for me.

Edited on Jan 02, 2013 at 11:43 AM · View previous versions

Jan 02, 2013 at 11:39 AM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The art of selling albums

If you want them to have albums then don't give them a choice not to have an album. Or have the single option that doesn't include and album and make it undesirable. The slideshow/viewing/wine/cheese thing is a roundabout way to get what you want. Why climb through the window when the door is wide open?

- trr

Jan 02, 2013 at 11:41 AM
bertpalmer

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The art of selling albums

I put one in a package which included an almost free (local) engagement shoot. That worked really well.

Otherwise - show what you sell! http://www.nessakphotography.com/blog/albums/

Jan 02, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Brian Virts
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The art of selling albums

So, what you're saying is make the album ad-hoc to any package?

Jan 02, 2013 at 11:48 AM
Bartlett Pair
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The art of selling albums

TRReichman wrote:
Your relative rates are your problem. The album is about 50% of the cost of the coverage. You're better off (financially) raising rates on your service and not bothering with the album.

- trr

I agree completely with TRR, I can't imagine many people paying 50% more just to get an album. IMHO I think a good start is to charge ~3x cost of album.

Also, I'm not sure if you're giving them a disc or usb with all the images, but that could be another factor here, and in that case you would need to demonstrate the inherent value of your album design skills.

Jan 02, 2013 at 11:51 AM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The art of selling albums

I wouldn't do 3x on an album, the work/time/cost is too high for that, I'd raise prices to accommodate - x4-6 is better.

- trr

Jan 02, 2013 at 12:05 PM
jcolman
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The art of selling albums

Brian, I was in the same position a couple years ago. Then I changed all my packages so that nearly every one includes an album. Since the cost of the album is included, I don't have the "sticker shock" problem when I use to tell people that albums range in price from $900 to $2000.

One thing that I don't do however is mark up my albums by 3, 4 or 5 times my cost. Since I use an outside designer for all my albums, my only real work is retouching the occasional photo for an album and actually placing the orders. I factor in the cost of the designer, the cost of the album and then multiply that by 2. This way my clients receive a nice album, I make a little money on it and we're all happy. I make my money on shooting and delivering the wedding images. The little bit I make on albums is icing.

Jan 02, 2013 at 12:20 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The art of selling albums

Interesting re: price of services to album. Mine are priced at around 50-70% of the services, but I do offer a more basic one (book) at around 25%. Perhaps I should re-evaluate that part this year.

Jan 02, 2013 at 12:22 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The art of selling albums

Brian Virts wrote:
I've been shooting weddings for a few years now, and I still can't seem to sell an album. I have two great sample Albums from Red Tree that I get positive feedback on all the time. I had two clients last Fall that were interested then, but I would have had to outsource the work, so I deferred them to the first of the year, and no shocker they both aren't interested now. So, I know that I'm the problem, I'm just trying to figure how to better serve my clients and obviously capitalize on the business. I have
...Show more

It sounds like you had two albums nearly sold. I might work on how you deal with outsourcing/creation of the albums to make sure you can capitalize on potential sales.

Any work changing pricing or strategy would be moot unless you can actually capitalize on it.

Jan 02, 2013 at 12:47 PM
jprezant
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The art of selling albums

I'm XXX. All day. Every day.

Jan 02, 2013 at 04:37 PM
spink
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The art of selling albums

We sell about 50% of our weddings on an album. When we were like you (album cost @ 50% of the total) it was almost impossible to get them added on.

We typically send out our prices with 3 packages. The top and middle package have an album. You should be aiming to sell your middle package. If only your top package has an album in it, you will have a hard time selling people on it.

In the future, we will be moving to albums in all packages. We are just waiting until the cost of our smallest package is high enough to put an album into it.

Jan 02, 2013 at 04:37 PM
RichardLavigne
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The art of selling albums

TRReichman wrote:

- trr

This.... or maybe find something that still fits in with your brand image (i.e. doesn't look cheap) but is more cost effective for you... allowing you to offer it at a price that fits in line with your coverage.

Jan 02, 2013 at 05:10 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.