Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2013 · Low Contrast (You will/might hate this stuff)

killersnowman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · Low Contrast (You will/might hate this stuff)

kevindar wrote:
I was hopping your reverse psychology would work, but it did not for me. Hate is a very strong word. Do I am compelled by your creativity and taking risk, dont find the images compelling.

no reverse psychology here, although i am surprised at the response i have gotten to these two images. i was just being honest. i know fm is a great group of highly technical and artistic people that tend towards the "Representational Landscape" (thanks for the term Dan) so i prefaced my post with a warning so that people didn't focus on the stuff they would normally focus on in a normal fm post. as i said before to Jim, rule #1 know your audience

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:05 AM
killersnowman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Low Contrast (You will/might hate this stuff)

river rover wrote:
Number 2 is right in my wheelhouse. I probably have a hundred "barely there" images with extremely subtle contrast and a single angle breaking the plane unexpectedly and I love 'em. I'm glad you posted yours. I'd never post mine. I'm just not that much of a masochist!

whats the worst that could happen? i almost didn't post these but i kept looking at them and felt there was something there. i may be insane, but i may never find out....

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:10 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · Low Contrast (You will/might hate this stuff)

killersnowman wrote:
thanks Dan. your idea of a set of prints is a very good one. it made me think of these images in a new way. the way i have them oriented right now with the cloud above the water is almost like a hierarchy of the world. the only thing missing is some Earth below the sea! so i kinda have a Air, Sea, Earth thing going on. its gonna be hard to find a nice image of Earth to complement these two.

thanks for the support Dan

I do some similar work, and I think that the evocation of some sense of the mystery of the world can be a higher goal than attempting (with futility) to "reproduce" what already exists.

The "know your audience" comment was quite appropriate. It is not my intention to put down anyone's taste here, but the tendency (though not the rule) in landscape photography forums such as this is to regard a representative depiction of the objective reality or depiction of some idealized version of the same as the highest goal. Beautiful work can be created that way, but that is not the only way a photograph can speak, and it is not the only way that the landscape can be photographed.

Dan

"Two Islands, Fog"

Jan 04, 2013 at 06:03 AM
       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password