Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Low Contrast (You will/might hate this stuff)

killersnowman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Low Contrast (You will/might hate this stuff)

just playing around with some minimalistic low contrast scenes. the first really hurts my brain because my mind can see something in the low contrast but its not enough to become a clear image so my mind races around the image searching for more info.

Edited on Jan 03, 2013 at 10:06 PM · View previous versions

Jan 02, 2013 at 05:55 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Low Contrast (You will/might hate this stuff)

Hey Tyler,

Thanks for letting me know that I will hate this... it sure takes all the pressure off...

Pretty creative stuff here... I do like how you push the envelope, it's nice to be reminded to stretch once in a while... Both of these are interesting... I kind of lean towards #1 the most... but there is a cool mystery about #2 also...

Jim

Jan 02, 2013 at 06:51 AM
Dawei Ye
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Low Contrast (You will/might hate this stuff)

I think the photos lack content and context. If I was browsing on someone's computer and came across these photos I'd probably think they were exposure errors or corrupted files rather than a finished photograph.

At the same time seeing these photos here is quite thought invoking and interesting so in many ways they are more memorable than any other photo I've seen today

Jan 02, 2013 at 09:54 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Low Contrast (You will/might hate this stuff)

I like the direction you are taking here and I think these could have some real potential printed on a matte paper and displayed as a group. (As others point out, they don't work as well - unfortunately! - in the hyper-world of the web.)

Dan

(You are probably right that such photographs will not appeal to a large numbers of viewers in this venue nor to lots of fans of representational landscape. Sometimes, though, you just have to follow your instincts and see where an idea takes you. I happen to thing that the path you are on with these is one very much worth traveling.)

Jan 02, 2013 at 05:00 PM
roguecoolman
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Low Contrast (You will/might hate this stuff)

Interesting stuff.

I'll echo Dan's advice. I think on the web it looses a lot of impact and people will probably pass on this. But if printed and displayed then I think you add a different element of impact that visually may be very intriguing.

Jason

Jan 02, 2013 at 06:53 PM
Callisto
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Low Contrast (You will/might hate this stuff)

I find number two to be very calming to view and I like it a great deal. As a suggestion I think a crop with a little off the bottom might be worth a try.

Jan 02, 2013 at 06:58 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Low Contrast (You will/might hate this stuff)

I like Dan's idea of getting a themed set of prints together.

Jan 02, 2013 at 07:23 PM
sozypozy
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Low Contrast (You will/might hate this stuff)

Its a good attempt. However, I think your pictures lack content and that you should probably try low contrast where there are things to play with. Like objects. Just a suggestion.

Edited on Jan 03, 2013 at 08:47 PM · View previous versions

Jan 02, 2013 at 07:48 PM
daverowe
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Low Contrast (You will/might hate this stuff)

I see white....

Jan 03, 2013 at 03:56 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Low Contrast (You will/might hate this stuff)

I was hopping your reverse psychology would work, but it did not for me. Hate is a very strong word. Do I am compelled by your creativity and taking risk, dont find the images compelling.

Jan 03, 2013 at 04:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

daverowe
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Low Contrast (You will/might hate this stuff)

i see dead people...

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:28 AM
daverowe
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Low Contrast (You will/might hate this stuff)

but in all seriousness, they are shit on a digital screen...but when you print these, they will shine oh so wonderfully. NOW PRINT!

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:29 AM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Low Contrast (You will/might hate this stuff)

These have vastly more content than some of the art I have seen in the Museum of Modern Art in NYC or the Guggenheim, so you may be on to something

I do like #2. A BIG print would be interesting in the right setting.

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:55 AM
MMauro72
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Low Contrast (You will/might hate this stuff)

Breaks alot of rules, the contrast I don't have as much of a problem with as I do with the comp. I could agree that theses shots do have merit in large gallery prints. But even then I do lean towards the more traditional regarding composition in my Art.
My personal opinion on low contrast images is get rid of hot spots and harsh lines or the image doesnt work.
I do appreciate the direction you are going. I would say its just not there with these particular images.

Some cropping to the second image might cure some of the issues I have with it. Crop out harsh line towards top. Crop up slightly from bottom and bring the darker area to bottom 3rd. Even then the way the photo flows it would push me towards a profile crop which won't work.

These photos are conflicted. Again. I am an armchair Art critic.
That being said, I would like to see more of your offerings to see there was something more appealing to me in this genre.

Jan 03, 2013 at 02:40 PM
river rover
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Low Contrast (You will/might hate this stuff)

Number 2 is right in my wheelhouse. I probably have a hundred "barely there" images with extremely subtle contrast and a single angle breaking the plane unexpectedly and I love 'em. I'm glad you posted yours. I'd never post mine. I'm just not that much of a masochist!

Jan 03, 2013 at 04:17 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Low Contrast (You will/might hate this stuff)

JimFox wrote:
Hey Tyler,

Thanks for letting me know that I will hate this... it sure takes all the pressure off...

Pretty creative stuff here... I do like how you push the envelope, it's nice to be reminded to stretch once in a while... Both of these are interesting... I kind of lean towards #1 the most... but there is a cool mystery about #2 also...

Jim

rule #1 know your audience

thanks Jim. i was actually inspired by a Japanese photographer named Hiroshi Sugimoto. i saw his images of the ocean a few months back and they kinda stuck with me and evolved into this.

http://www.sugimotohiroshi.com/seascape.html

Jan 03, 2013 at 10:10 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Low Contrast (You will/might hate this stuff)

Hey Tyler,

Cool link there. I can see where his shots can give inspiration. I know I need to shoot and process more low contrast shots. Well, my brain knows it... it's just my finger that keeps cranking up the contrast and getting me in trouble...

Jim

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:08 PM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Low Contrast (You will/might hate this stuff)

gdanmitchell wrote:
I like the direction you are taking here and I think these could have some real potential printed on a matte paper and displayed as a group. (As others point out, they don't work as well - unfortunately! - in the hyper-world of the web.)

Dan

(You are probably right that such photographs will not appeal to a large numbers of viewers in this venue nor to lots of fans of representational landscape. Sometimes, though, you just have to follow your instincts and see where an idea takes you. I happen to thing that the path you are on with these is
...Show more

thanks Dan. your idea of a set of prints is a very good one. it made me think of these images in a new way. the way i have them oriented right now with the cloud above the water is almost like a hierarchy of the world. the only thing missing is some Earth below the sea! so i kinda have a Air, Sea, Earth thing going on. its gonna be hard to find a nice image of Earth to complement these two.

thanks for the support Dan

Jan 04, 2013 at 12:55 AM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Low Contrast (You will/might hate this stuff)

Callisto wrote:
I find number two to be very calming to view and I like it a great deal. As a suggestion I think a crop with a little off the bottom might be worth a try.

it is very calming and serene. thanks for pointing that out

Jan 04, 2013 at 12:56 AM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Low Contrast (You will/might hate this stuff)

sozypozy wrote:
Its a good attempt. However, I think your pictures lack content and that you should probably try low contrast where there are things to play with. Like objects. Just a suggestion. http://www.ovirfh9384.info/images/14.gif

thanks, but that was kinda the point. Low Contrast Minimalism. dont think of it in terms of objects or things, but how we can create something new from the real world of lines, shapes, and gradients. take our lens and frame the world in a way that abstracts what we know into something we can discover anew

Jan 04, 2013 at 01:01 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password