Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Flash: E-TTL worth the extra $$$?

taylorman22
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Flash: E-TTL worth the extra $$$?

I've never owned an external flash and am considering purchasing either a canon 430ex II or a Yongnuo YN-560 II. I like the price of the YN560 because it leaves cash to help pay for the prime lens I want, but I'm not sure how important the E-TTL compatibility is on the canon. Is it worth the extra $125?

Edited on Jan 02, 2013 at 04:49 AM · View previous versions

Jan 02, 2013 at 04:02 AM
ultimaterowdy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Flash: E-TTL worth the extra $$$?

will your shot stay the same across a number of trial & error shots? if so, seems to me you can be quite happy w/o TTL. if not, then I would spring for a TTL flash.

you can get a 270EX or 270EXII for ~$100, btw, it has TTL. people may think that's not enough power, but it's plenty for many/most situations. (no focus assist light, that's a bummer. and you can't bounce easily when shooting portrait orientation... but I digress)

Jan 02, 2013 at 04:16 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Flash: E-TTL worth the extra $$$?

Unless you still own an older film EOS camera, having TTL is not necessary. Why? All EOS DSLR use E-TTL (pre-flash metering) since TTL works by metering light reflected off the film emulsion at the moment of exposure and, obviously, TLL won't work with CMOS sensors. If you have a late model film camera like an EOS 3, 1V or Elan 7 series they are compatible with both TTL and E-TTL so an E-TTL only flash should be fine.

One issue I've noticed with aftermarket flash units, even dedicated ones, is the AF assist doesn't work with the outer AF points. Something else to consider.

Jan 02, 2013 at 04:17 AM
jbrandt378
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Flash: E-TTL worth the extra $$$?

If you are using the flash on camera, then you want e-ttl. I use 4-5 Yongnuo YN-565 for off camera reception lighting and I LOVE them. i have several 580s that I use on camera but these are just as big and powerful.

I've used them over the past two seasons and have one go down. It is easier to buy an new one than to hassle with China. Even with that, i will buy more Yongnuo flashes.

Jason

Jan 07, 2013 at 07:34 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Flash: E-TTL worth the extra $$$?

Changing conditions, not much time to chimp = e-ttl.

Can take time to tweak the flashes , go strobist.

Jan 07, 2013 at 07:45 AM
dmcharg
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Flash: E-TTL worth the extra $$$?

Depends what your doing. If have the time to setup and use flashes and meter manually the you don't need ETTL For events and situations where you have less time ETTL is essential. I use a pair of 580EXII and love them.

Jan 07, 2013 at 09:30 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Flash: E-TTL worth the extra $$$?

if this is your only flash get one with ETTL capability, e.g. YN468, YN565ex, etc. or a Canon 430ex

Jan 07, 2013 at 12:16 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password