Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2013 · Glove-compatible 82mm lens cap for Zeiss?

Vox Sciurorum
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Glove-compatible 82mm lens cap for Zeiss?

I can't remove the lens cap from my Zeiss 21mm f/2.8 while wearing gloves. Is there an alternate lens cap that is easier to remove? Filter size is 82 mm.

Jan 01, 2013 at 10:25 PM
OneAnt
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Glove-compatible 82mm lens cap for Zeiss?

a neoprene hood and even fits over the lens hood. Tear if off stuff it anywhere or hold it while shooting, fastest lens cap ever.

Optech or Lenscoat, I have and prefer the Lenscoat and it includes an insert for better protection.

Jan 01, 2013 at 11:16 PM
Vox Sciurorum
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Glove-compatible 82mm lens cap for Zeiss?

OneAnt wrote:
a neoprene hood and even fits over the lens hood. Tear if off stuff it anywhere or hold it while shooting, fastest lens cap ever.

Optech or Lenscoat, I have and prefer the Lenscoat and it includes an insert for better protection.

Thanks. I didn't think of using a hood.

Jan 01, 2013 at 11:27 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Glove-compatible 82mm lens cap for Zeiss?

I use three different types of front caps with my 18 ZE, and with my 21 ZE before I sold it.

1. I use a Nikon-style generic 82mm centre pinch cap for most of the time (see link), it works well with gloves.

2. I use a screw-on metal cap (half of an 82mm filter cap set) for when I travel with the 18 ZE, which is stored in an Op/Tech Snoot Boot or LensCoat LensPouch.

3. I use an Op/Tech Hood Hat or LensCoat Hoodie when I'm on site and in bad weather. I generally remove the Hoodie insert, especially for large lenses, as it makes it unstable when resting the lens on its nose.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1177635/0#11226052

Jan 02, 2013 at 12:25 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Glove-compatible 82mm lens cap for Zeiss?

+1 for the Nikon-style caps. They have both the inside pinch handles and ribbed pinchers at the edges, and work well gloved. Note that there isn't a native Nikon cap in 82mm, to my knowledge. The one I bought for my Zeiss 21 is a bit loose, so I am on the lookout for a better brand.

Jan 02, 2013 at 12:52 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Glove-compatible 82mm lens cap for Zeiss?

The 82mm Nikon-style cap I have fits the 18ZE and 21ZE very well. It's a generic cap from a local photo store - Henry's. I might drop in there soon, and I'll check to see if it's branded.

[...later] It's branded Lumahawk, made in China. Probably a Canada-only brand name. Their main product line is lighting.

Jan 02, 2013 at 01:27 PM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Glove-compatible 82mm lens cap for Zeiss?

If you can operate the camera with gloves on then you can operate the lens cap. If you can't do either then your gloves are too thick. When using thick gloves I cut off the tips for the index finger and thumb.

Doug uses push-on caps for similar reasons tho. Check it out here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1094259/1#10438150

Self Portrait of me and my fingerless modded gloves.

Jan 03, 2013 at 07:12 AM
neilvan
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Glove-compatible 82mm lens cap for Zeiss?

I don't use caps very often but when I need them I have LensCoat Hoodie's for all of my lenses. Great product and company.

Jan 03, 2013 at 08:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Glove-compatible 82mm lens cap for Zeiss?

jcolwell wrote:
The 82mm Nikon-style cap I have fits the 18ZE and 21ZE very well. It's a generic cap from a local photo store - Henry's. I might drop in there soon, and I'll check to see if it's branded.

[...later] It's branded Lumahawk, made in China. Probably a Canada-only brand name. Their main product line is lighting.

Are the springs in these caps as tight as real Nikon cap springs? I might even order one for Germany, if that is the case

Jan 03, 2013 at 10:39 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Glove-compatible 82mm lens cap for Zeiss?

jcolwell wrote:

carstenw wrote:
Are the springs in these caps as tight as real Nikon cap springs? I might even order one for Germany, if that is the case

I don't know how it compares with real Nikon caps, but it's a great fit on my 18ZE. It locks on very firmly, but comes off quite easily when you squeeze even one of the two sides. That's why I use a screw-on cap for travel, when the lens is in a snoot boot. When the hood is mounted in shooting position, it's very secure and safe, as nothing can 'tap' a release tab.

It's funny how lenses are sensitive to different caps. My Tamron 82mm cap fits the EF 24-70/2.8L II very well, but not the 18ZE. Similarly, the Lumahawk 82mm doesn't fit the 24-70L II so well, but is a fine match for Zeiss. Details, details...

Jan 03, 2013 at 03:07 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Glove-compatible 82mm lens cap for Zeiss?

Here's a photo of the Lumahawk cap with my 18ZE. Taken with an Alt lens of course; KMZ Industar-61 LZ 50/2.8 Macro on 1DX.

http://www.henrys.com/67053-LUMAHAWK-DELUXE-82MM-SNAPON-LC-W-CAPEEPER.aspx

Jan 03, 2013 at 03:42 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Glove-compatible 82mm lens cap for Zeiss?

Hmm, it looks identical to the one I have. It isn't exactly loose, but it is not nearly as firm in operation as my actual Nikon caps.

Jan 03, 2013 at 05:04 PM
Vox Sciurorum
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Glove-compatible 82mm lens cap for Zeiss?

Thanks for the advice.

I have now tried both the hood and the center pinch style cap and prefer the hood. My gloved hands still have trouble with a cap. The LensCoat pullover hood is much easier to use.

What I really need is a lens with a front element made out of diamond, which has a high refractive index and is hard to scratch. I could clean it off with sandpaper. Maybe Leica makes one; it's the only explanation for their prices.

Jan 27, 2013 at 07:00 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Glove-compatible 82mm lens cap for Zeiss?

Vox Sciurorum wrote:
... My gloved hands still have trouble with a cap.

What kind of gloves do you use? For cold weather, I use gortex bicycle gloves; very slender and close fitting, with good tactile response on the finger tips. When it's really cold, I also use a pair of big WP mittens that I can slide the gloves into.

Vox Sciurorum wrote:
What I really need is a lens with a front element made out of diamond...

You and me, both.

Vox Sciurorum wrote:
... Maybe Leica makes one; it's the only explanation for their prices.

Jan 27, 2013 at 08:48 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Glove-compatible 82mm lens cap for Zeiss?

I dislike those squeezy things - they are cheap, gather huge volumes of dust/crud in nooks and crannies and necessitate rocket blowing more often as a result. Never drop one in the dirt. I stick with the thin and light, dare I say minimalist CZ caps that force me to do what I should - be careful. Not perfect, almost an admission of imperfection by CZ - the bloody lens cap.

I use high quality thinsulate motorcycle gloves, tactile sensing is much too important for mittens and all I require is enough insulation to stop numbness setting in. I do think you get used to the cold, however, I rode motorcycles 365 days a year for 25 years in all conditions. If you wear mitts, where do you put the mitt when you take it off to work?

Filters work like disposable diamond hard material, good ones anyway. Zeiss love giving us filter rings unlike some other makers, ahem. Hoods don't work with ultra wides where I work, and take up too much change time and space in the bag. So there is the friendly contrarian, dare I say 'Alt' view!

What kind of road kill are you wearing on your melon, Bifurcator? Synthetic is for beta boys, you know, so the French ladies tell me. lol. Kind of offset by the tough guy green jacket, though, regaining you some brownie points. hah.

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:27 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Glove-compatible 82mm lens cap for Zeiss?

Phillip, buddy. What's up? I know you're busy, but you're sounding a bit bother'ed.

Are you bother'ed?

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:44 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password