New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2013 · Alesia

deinfaces
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Alesia

This is the fourth of the Savannah friends. As I endeavor to show people as they are, I have difficulty deciding whether I should make adjustments under the eyes here. These dilemmas never go away.
Bob
http://www.deinfaces.com/

Jan 01, 2013 at 08:31 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Alesia

In a word...mischievous!
Douglas

Jan 01, 2013 at 11:20 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Alesia

Well presented.

I find myself looking forward to your next post each time I log in.

Jan 01, 2013 at 04:06 PM
deinfaces
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Alesia

Mischievous is OK!

Thank you, Jim. But please be careful, lest my head get caught in doorways .

Jan 01, 2013 at 08:50 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Alesia

Dein- I love this.
Another woman to become friends with.
I can understand your frustration, and for you there may not be a good answer.
For me, though, if the woman had been smiling and had a small but noticeable piece of spinach between her teeth, I definitely WOULD make it disappear.
Then why not help out under her eyes?
How "unreal" would it make the image?
In fact, I copied your shot, converted to B&W (which helped some), and tried to make those folds go away. It was not a skilled effort, but I'd have done it anyway if it were my shot.
Charlie
PS Ultimately, the final decision is yours. Good luck with it .

Jan 01, 2013 at 10:48 PM
marcofree

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Alesia

As you say, this is how she is naturally, so why edit nature? Well, unless you are attempting an art style photo, or have other purposes than a candid pose for the photo. A touch of more brightly color lipstick on her lips would have been nice. But, you seemed to have been trying to capture the subject in her natural state, so it was perfect for that.

http://wedding-videography.info

Jan 02, 2013 at 01:42 PM
deinfaces
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Alesia

Thank you, Charlie and Marco, for your thoughtful responses.

Jan 02, 2013 at 02:19 PM
blitzn
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Alesia

For me the beauty in your work is the authentic, yet artistic capture of subjects. I think I would have a different appreciation for them if I knew they were "altered". Not better or worse, just different. For me, I have an affinity for the subjects more so when I know it's a true representation of "them". But hey, that's just me. Thanks for what you do!

Jan 02, 2013 at 04:09 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Alesia

Another vote for leaving it as is in favor of reality. Too much of digital "photography" is fakery IMHO. Just because we ~can~ doesn't mean we ~should~!

Intriguing shot!
Keith

Jan 02, 2013 at 09:10 PM
deinfaces
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Alesia

Thanks so much for your input, blitzn and Keith.

Jan 04, 2013 at 04:46 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Alesia

Charlie Shugart wrote:
Dein- I love this.
Another woman to become friends with.
I can understand your frustration, and for you there may not be a good answer.
For me, though, if the woman had been smiling and had a small but noticeable piece of spinach between her teeth, I definitely WOULD make it disappear.
Then why not help out under her eyes?
How "unreal" would it make the image?
In fact, I copied your shot, converted to B&W (which helped some), and tried to make those folds go away. It was not a skilled effort, but I'd have done it anyway if it were my shot.
Charlie
PS Ultimately,
...Show more

I should have added a big IF to what I said- I was thinking that, but I forgot to write it.
The IF is whether the woman will see the image or not.
Charlie

Jan 04, 2013 at 04:55 PM
deinfaces
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Alesia

Charlie, this depends on whether we chat for a while, or the subject is in a hurry and moves on. If we establish more of a relationship, I give her/him a card with my e-mail, website, and flickr photostream. I tell them that the image will at least be on flickr. And if they like it, e-mail me and I'll attach the image file to a return message. They NEVER ask for the image. Maybe 3 or 4 times out of several hundred.

Jan 04, 2013 at 07:57 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Alesia

deinfaces wrote:
Charlie, this depends on whether we chat for a while, or the subject is in a hurry and moves on. If we establish more of a relationship, I give her/him a card with my e-mail, website, and flickr photostream. I tell them that the image will at least be on flickr. And if they like it, e-mail me and I'll attach the image file to a return message. They NEVER ask for the image. Maybe 3 or 4 times out of several hundred.

That is a shocker!
If they willingly let you take their portraits, I simply cannot imagine why so few would want to see them.
Charlie

Jan 04, 2013 at 10:32 PM
squareeyez
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Alesia

I literally spent hours (I'm painfully and meticulously slow, though) on a couple of photos for the same reason. Only one way to find out...

Jan 04, 2013 at 11:12 PM
angelwspr

[X]
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Alesia

Well Presented, She's gorgeous.

Jan 05, 2013 at 01:47 AM
deinfaces
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Alesia

Thank you, square and angel.

Charlie, there are three possible explanations, 1. They never bother to enter the (long) flickr URL, 2. They see the pics and don't like them, or 3. They think that I'm a scam artist, and looking for a way to make money from it. Probably all 3 come into play at some time.

Jan 05, 2013 at 08:20 PM
rogerwilco
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Alesia

hmm when it comes to portrait shots and its a beautiful woman and lets say she needs some help with the lines or help with the up all night studying or working then why not help and flatter the subject bet she would appreciate it..couldn’t hurt …vanity brother

Jan 06, 2013 at 02:37 AM
dogwater

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Alesia

Great stuff Bob. I really enjoy the images and like Jim Rickards I can't wait for the next one. I went to some of your links to see how this Stranger project works. Yes intriguing. I like the unretouched images. Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing - Mike

Jan 06, 2013 at 02:58 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Alesia

Hi Bob,

You're so right - the dilemmas are always there. Trying to simplify those decisions for myself, in a case like this shot I would tone down the shadows by 30 to 50%... sort of: retaining nature and truth, just adjusting the shadow's harshness as if I had repositioned a light.

I know that's tampering with reality, so to speak, but unless I'm trying to document facial "character" (which so many of your portraits do) or the passage of time, I'm comfortable with a slight assist to nature. Just my opinion.

Chuck

Jan 06, 2013 at 04:11 AM
deinfaces
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Alesia

Thanks so much, roger, dogwater and nola, for looking and sharing your thoughts. This forum is great!

Jan 06, 2013 at 08:29 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.