Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · model release from venue?

louloulou
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · model release from venue?

I have a wedding this weekend where the bride has told me the venue doesn't want me posting pictures their exclusive venue. This venue does have a website with a gallery of images but their reasoning is that they don't want a multitude of enquiries as they don't want every one (any common person) knowing about it and being booked out for the whole year. I think their price tag would possibly scare people off anyway at $5000 a night. Also have found two different photography blogs clearly displaying and tagging the venue and describing it's location for weddings they shot there.

Anyway, I am only allowed to look over the place this coming Friday during the rehearsal the day before the wedding (with the bridal party).

I was thinking rather than going through the contract with the bride, I should have a separate contract with the venue as the bride and groom aren't the ones fussed about displaying their images it's the venue.

I was hoping that I could show off limited images of the ceremony with the venue's approval and without disclosing the venue name. I don't see the harm if I don't disclose the name...it could be anywhere really. But the thing is the couple found them somehow... I'm wondering how to write it up:

The Photographer agrees to only release images subject to the venue's approval. The name of the venue will not be disclosed. The media the photographer chooses will be limited to the website address of the photographer.

The venue agrees to
Or the photographer agrees to release the images in password protected private viewing gallery for friends and family only.

Thoughts?

Jan 01, 2013 at 04:32 AM
Ian Ivey
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · model release from venue?

Have the venue owners given any indication that they will demand such an agreement from you as a condition to allowing you on the premises? I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to offer such a concession in writing. I might make a point to talk with the owners or the manager that night about their concerns, partly to establish a relationship with that venue. Your client is the bride; as long as the venue doesn't intend to deny you access in the absence of some formal agreement, your conversation with the venue is an extension of courtesy. Perhaps they would be willing to refer business to you if you work with them now.

And see whether they might like to use any of your images for self-promotion or just for display in the office.

Jan 01, 2013 at 09:04 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · model release from venue?

They don't want more business? This isn't making any sense to me. And $5,000 for the venue is not crazy expensive.

Jan 01, 2013 at 10:12 AM
misty23
• •
Account locked
p.1 #4 · model release from venue?

Do you work their often or hope to develop a relationship with them for future work ?
Do you have to sign a disclosure prior to actually shooting ? Or are they "just asking" that you not post any photos ?

I wouldn't push for any signed document if they aren't insisting. No signed document, no legal right for you not to post your photos of your wedding. Let sleeping dogs lie.

Jan 01, 2013 at 01:07 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · model release from venue?

I can understand a businesses desire for privacy of their property. However, if they have agreed to have a bride in this location (ie: they accepted money to perform a service), and that service generally involves the hiring of a photographer (bride hired you), then It's pretty silly to ask for images to not be shared.

You took the photo. You were granted access to their property. You can do whatever you want from the photos, granted you haven't signed anything that they have given you in order to gain access to this venue/area.

So, you don't have to be worried from a legal standpoint if you did decide to share the photos. I wouldn't sign or create ANY document to be signed.

No harm in sharing a few photos as long as the name of the venue, location, etc, is not disclosed in a public manner. Could you burn a bridge with the venue? Possibly, but it sounds like they dont want people there in the first place (which is weird).

Jan 01, 2013 at 03:57 PM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #6 · model release from venue?

To me it sounds like they are selective as to whom they will allow to have events there, from that standpoint it does make sense. There are some places that are for members or owners only, which does create an exclusive relationship between the venue and the client. I think it is possible their request is due to how some previous photographers marketed, shared or blogged their photos and then inquiries started coming in that they didn't desire.

Jan 01, 2013 at 05:53 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #7 · model release from venue?

sboerup wrote:
I can understand a businesses desire for privacy of their property. However, if they have agreed to have a bride in this location (ie: they accepted money to perform a service), and that service generally involves the hiring of a photographer (bride hired you), then It's pretty silly to ask for images to not be shared.

You took the photo. You were granted access to their property. You can do whatever you want from the photos, granted you haven't signed anything that they have given you in order to gain access to this venue/area.

So, you don't have to be worried from
...Show more

Exactly the way my thoughts were going.

I have to say...this is a weird situation

Jan 01, 2013 at 06:04 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · model release from venue?

In all likelihood, the venue told the client this so the CLIENT wouldn't be posting crappy phone photos of the place. I'm sure they don't expect that of professional photographers. Most likely, this is just false information you've been given.

Jan 01, 2013 at 08:51 PM
Dawei Ye
• • • •
p.1 #9 · model release from venue?

I've had a venue tell me that I didn't have the right to use images taken at their venue for promotional/portfolio purposes...I'm like...ok...

Their justification was that the bride/groom had paid for the right to use the venue, not me, so the photos were for them and them only, not for my use.

Anyway I ignored them

Jan 02, 2013 at 01:43 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

misty23
• •
Account locked
p.1 #10 · model release from venue?

Funny how venues are so ignorant of copyright laws. Oh well, to each their own, if that makes them feel powerful, hey, more power to them....lol.....

Jan 02, 2013 at 01:57 AM
louloulou
• • •
p.1 #11 · model release from venue?

Ian Ivey wrote:
Have the venue owners given any indication that they will demand such an agreement from you as a condition to allowing you on the premises? I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to offer such a concession in writing. I might make a point to talk with the owners or the manager that night about their concerns, partly to establish a relationship with that venue. Your client is the bride; as long as the venue doesn't intend to deny you access in the absence of some formal agreement, your conversation with the venue is an extension of
...Show more

thank you Ian, good advice.

Jan 02, 2013 at 01:05 PM
louloulou
• • •
p.1 #12 · model release from venue?

TTLKurtis wrote:
They don't want more business? This isn't making any sense to me. And $5,000 for the venue is not crazy expensive.

yeah, don't understand why they wouldn't want a more continual source of income to finance their mansion.

the $5000 is per night but a minimum of 3 nights booked. It is merely for accommodation and a place to get married. The bridal couple has to outsource catering and all related equipment.

Jan 02, 2013 at 01:09 PM
louloulou
• • •
p.1 #13 · model release from venue?

misty23 wrote:
Do you work their often or hope to develop a relationship with them for future work ?
Do you have to sign a disclosure prior to actually shooting ? Or are they "just asking" that you not post any photos ?

I wouldn't push for any signed document if they aren't insisting. No signed document, no legal right for you not to post your photos of your wedding. Let sleeping dogs lie.

I would love to work there more often.... it is a stunning property. I don't think they will require a form, but I guess I'll find out. One would wonder how that affects guest photography.

Jan 02, 2013 at 01:12 PM
louloulou
• • •
p.1 #14 · model release from venue?

sboerup wrote:

So, you don't have to be worried from
...Show more

I'm hoping to be able to chat with the owner as I wouldn't want to be on the wrong foot, but you're right I can't see the harm if I don't name the venue. they do sound weird.

Jan 02, 2013 at 01:17 PM
louloulou
• • •
p.1 #15 · model release from venue?

sherijohnson wrote:
To me it sounds like they are selective as to whom they will allow to have events there, from that standpoint it does make sense. There are some places that are for members or owners only, which does create an exclusive relationship between the venue and the client. I think it is possible their request is due to how some previous photographers marketed, shared or blogged their photos and then inquiries started coming in that they didn't desire.

Good point, I hope I get to see the venue owners to have a chat... I just want the right end of the stick.

Jan 02, 2013 at 01:18 PM
louloulou
• • •
p.1 #16 · model release from venue?

amonline wrote:
In all likelihood, the venue told the client this so the CLIENT wouldn't be posting crappy phone photos of the place. I'm sure they don't expect that of professional photographers. Most likely, this is just false information you've been given.

Hmm, another interesting theory...when the bride first mentioned it she used the word exclusive.

It was when I rang to clarify she said the venue was shy and didn't want too many enquiries.

Jan 02, 2013 at 01:22 PM
louloulou
• • •
p.1 #17 · model release from venue?

Dawei Ye wrote:
I've had a venue tell me that I didn't have the right to use images taken at their venue for promotional/portfolio purposes...I'm like...ok...

Their justification was that the bride/groom had paid for the right to use the venue, not me, so the photos were for them and them only, not for my use.

Anyway I ignored them

huh, but the venue didn't pay you anything so how do they think they can dictate what you do.

I just answered my own question...

Jan 02, 2013 at 01:29 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password