Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · D4 hot pixels?

MikeW
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D4 hot pixels?

I forced myself out of the car as the clouds didn't break & there was not much happening but I got out of the house so wanted to take advantage of it

This is a crop straight from camera of a 219 second exposure @ iso 50. You would probably have to zoom in to see them better but they are all over the frame. Is this considered normal? Are they hot/dead pixels? Too many over the whole frame to clone out making long exposures with the D4 worthless. Note, this was with the big stopper, hence the awful whitebalance.

Thoughts?

Mike

Jan 01, 2013 at 03:55 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D4 hot pixels?

and just about every other Digital camera too.

Jan 01, 2013 at 12:36 PM
sportmaster1

Account locked
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D4 hot pixels?

Sensor dust.

Jan 01, 2013 at 03:42 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D4 hot pixels?

Why not post a 100% crop so we can see what you are writing about? I don't see any issues on my laptop. Hotspot are very distinctive.

Jan 01, 2013 at 06:43 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D4 hot pixels?

that is a decent crop, I've altered it to show them more visible as well as the full image (edited).

I need a host so people can zoom in I guess, photobucket is limited in that respect, but these white dots are all over the image, I assume they'd show in print & at ISO50 I don't understand why they'd be there?

Jan 01, 2013 at 07:41 PM
RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D4 hot pixels?

Looks like hot pixels to me. Nikon can map them out for you - but I'd check a few test shots to make sure they're consistently in the same place. A 219 second exposure may turn some pixels hot that aren't always hot.

Jan 01, 2013 at 07:50 PM
Neddie Seagoon
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D4 hot pixels?

This is normal for a digital sensor on a long exposure, it's the nature of the physics involved. Try shooting raw. The raw converter will map these out for you automatically.

Jan 02, 2013 at 07:02 AM
Jun Zhou
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D4 hot pixels?

yea, its hot pixels, you need to send the camera to Nikon, so nikon will remap your camrea.
I had hot pixels on my old 1DmkIII, and Canon fixed it fast for me.
good luck

Jan 02, 2013 at 08:07 AM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D4 hot pixels?

That is a raw file imported to lightroom, saved as jpg for here.

I'll do some shots to see if they are in the same place. I never came across this with my D7k doing 1 shot star trails.

Jan 02, 2013 at 04:49 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D4 hot pixels?

I just looked at a 30 second exposure I did last night & they are all there, so lame

Jan 02, 2013 at 05:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RCicala
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D4 hot pixels?

Mike, was that a new camera? I've seen lots of hot pixels, but the few times I've seen that many have always been on cameras that had multiple hours of video shot, lots of long live-view exposures, etc. Never seen them like that on a new camera.

Jan 02, 2013 at 06:15 PM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D4 hot pixels?

What were your long exposure noise reduction settings?

Jan 02, 2013 at 06:16 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D4 hot pixels?

It is my camera, bought new with around 7.5k shots on it. I did a few shots & it seems that at iso 100 I don't get them which is the cameras native lowest iso. So I guess I'll keep it at 100 rather than go lower.

I tested my D7k and it didn't have any.

Long Exposure noise reduction was off, I did a shot with it on & it appears to have mapped them out. I'll try to get outa the house to do some more shots, but if at 100 iso its not there I am good with that, love the camera still

Jan 02, 2013 at 06:32 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D4 hot pixels?

Hey Mike,

The Long Exposure noise reduction will remove them, but when you have a chance you ought to send the D4 in for service and have them map the hot pixels out. You have a great work around for now, but in the end, it's really nice to not to have to tie up the camera after ever shot while the Noise reduction does it's thing.

Jim

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:30 AM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D4 hot pixels?

just took a screenshot with the image underexposed by slider to make it easier to see my cloning (exposed right in camera). But really, how can people be expected to clone this much.

Do others bother cloning out the white dots (not pixels) or am I the only one?

The larger ones are dust spots.

May 31, 2013 at 11:25 PM
corndog
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D4 hot pixels?

If you can, import into ACR. It will get rid of them all automatically.

May 31, 2013 at 11:33 PM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D4 hot pixels?

this is a screenshot from lightroom, it has sames features as acr doesn't it?

Jun 01, 2013 at 01:22 AM
corndog
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D4 hot pixels?

Hmm, I just opened a Canon RAW file in CS6 and then LR4 (4.3) and it took care of the stuck pixels in both. Can you verify that these dots are actually a single pixel? If you would, zoom in to 11:1 in LR and post a grab of a single hot/stuck/dead pixel.

Edit: Well shoot, I have plenty that bleed into neighboring pixels too. Still, LR and ACR take care of them all. Not sure what to tell you.

Jun 01, 2013 at 02:36 AM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D4 hot pixels?

well if you zoom in to 11:1 it shows 4 pixels, don't know if that is just pixelated.

Would it only "map it out" if you load a lens profile? This is with a tilt shift & there are no lens profiles, so maybe it doesn't automatically map it out?

Jun 01, 2013 at 03:16 AM
corndog
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D4 hot pixels?

No need to load lens profile. In LR and PS you can see it happen real time, but you gotta look quick and close because it does it in the first second you open it. Any chance you're able to upload the RAW file somewhere?

Jun 01, 2013 at 03:28 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password