Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · My Late review of the Fuji X Pro 1

smithcottage
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My Late review of the Fuji X Pro 1

Long time Fuji shooter finally gets an X Pro 1. Your comments would be welcome.

http://henrysmithscottage.wordpress.com/

Jan 01, 2013 at 03:30 AM
maljo
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My Late review of the Fuji X Pro 1

It must be magic.
I don't understand giving up fast AF, long battery life, fast card writing, the 180 macro, the 600 f4, the fisheye, ability to AF-C, excellent raw processing, and excellent flash. And what about that battery door and my tripod plate?
If you love it, you love it. More power to you. Do you drive a Yugo?
The X Pro 1 clearly can make beautiful images.
I like smaller, I just wish it didn't have so many issues. In a $1400 camera body is AF equal to Olympus or Sony too much to ask?

I have the D800/E twins and am quite happy so far. Too much weight? Someday it will probably seem so. For now, a 35 mm f1.4 lens on a D800 still seems pretty small and light for urban prowling. The D3X was a big camera.

Of all the mirrorless candidates these Fuji X cameras are the most intriguing to me.

Thanks for the review,

maljo

Jan 01, 2013 at 04:56 AM
jeremymeier
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My Late review of the Fuji X Pro 1

I shoot Nikon professionally for my day job, but have now completely converted to X-Pro1 and all MF glass personally and love it 100%! It's all about the photographic process, not how lightning fast you can "catch" a moment that you didn't think about or plan out first, but more the effort put into creating the right image. It's just more meaningful to me when my planning generates the results I'm looking for. It all about what works for you...

Jan 01, 2013 at 01:29 PM
smithcottage
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My Late review of the Fuji X Pro 1

Maljo,
I completely understand your feelings, but then as a photographer of a certain "ahem" age, I pick up one of these X cameras and wow, I experience a joy (definitely backed by the image quality) that I cannot describe. Pick up a used X100 on Ebay, make sure it has the latest firmware, and give it a try.

Jan 01, 2013 at 02:59 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My Late review of the Fuji X Pro 1

maljo wrote:
It must be magic.
I don't understand giving up fast AF, long battery life, fast card writing, the 180 macro, the 600 f4, the fisheye, ability to AF-C, excellent raw processing, and excellent flash. ...

You don't have to give up anything, unless you choose to.

BTW, yes, it's magic.

Jan 01, 2013 at 03:01 PM
smithcottage
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My Late review of the Fuji X Pro 1

I would also say that the quality of the X Fujinon lenses is a major attraction of the X interchangable lens cameras. There is a tactile pleasure in handling these fine intruments (and yes I do own Pro level Nikon gear and like that also).

Jan 01, 2013 at 05:47 PM
jonrock
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My Late review of the Fuji X Pro 1

smithcottage and jeremymeier (thanks for ZA 24 f1.8, Jeremy, it's on my NEX 5n all the time), how does Fuji's lenses compare to Nikon's lenses in general since you both have used both systems? I just bought a Fuji x-e1 with the 18-55 zoom and the 35 f1.4. They haven't arrive yet but I would just like to know what to expect in comparison to Nikon.

Jan 01, 2013 at 09:14 PM
Brody LeBlanc
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My Late review of the Fuji X Pro 1

jcolwell wrote:
BTW, yes, it's magic.

Exactly. It's almost like Fuji realized most of the frills we've grown accustomed to with DSLRs don't make us much better photographers so they focused on unbelievable image quality instead.

Jan 01, 2013 at 10:00 PM
smithcottage
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My Late review of the Fuji X Pro 1

Ultimately, the image is the thing we stive for. For the work the Fuji's are designed for, they are magic

Jan 02, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Bifurcator
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My Late review of the Fuji X Pro 1

maljo wrote:
It must be magic.
I don't understand giving up fast AF, long battery life, fast card writing, the 180 macro, the 600 f4, the fisheye, ability to AF-C, excellent raw processing, and excellent flash. And what about that battery door and my tripod plate?
If you love it, you love it. More power to you. Do you drive a Yugo?

Thanks for the review,

maljo 

Ha ha, I'm sorry but that had me in stitches!

Sometimes the magic works, sometimes it don't!

Maljo, Choose your avatar!

Jan 02, 2013 at 08:43 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

smithcottage
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My Late review of the Fuji X Pro 1

Your right after all, these Fuji cameras are lousy.
A Subaru WRX is cheaper, faster, and gets better gas milage than an Audi A4, but some prefer the latter because of the intangble quality of the German car.

Jan 02, 2013 at 01:11 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · My Late review of the Fuji X Pro 1

Hey hey hey, no Subaru bashing here. Tomorrow I will pick up my Forester XT.
Subarus are the Ricoh of the car world, quirky at times, but great cars.

...wait a minute, Subaru is involved with FUJI heavy industries... ...so maybe they are the Fuji of the car world?

Jan 02, 2013 at 04:35 PM
smithcottage
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · My Late review of the Fuji X Pro 1

My family own three Subarus and an Audi.
I love Subarus, but I love my new Allroad more (kind of like an Audi Outback).

Jan 02, 2013 at 07:23 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · My Late review of the Fuji X Pro 1

Henry, you'll get over it. Just wait until the running costs eat into your camera budget.
Just kidding, the Audi allroads are very nice and solid cars indeed but since I could not afford one I settled for an Outback at the time and now I am trading "down" to a sleeper, the Forester XT. I expect a fun drive home tomorrow.

/ Henrik (the Swedish equivalent of Henry)

Jan 02, 2013 at 10:26 PM
smithcottage
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · My Late review of the Fuji X Pro 1

My wife had a 2007 Forester XT. Cool car. I looked at one in 2010 but bought a Hyundai instead. New one coming out with a CVT. Enyoy yours. They are fun!

Jan 03, 2013 at 02:51 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · My Late review of the Fuji X Pro 1

Just got back with a black Forester XT 2007. Very solid ride home in snow and sleet.
I prefer it to the newer Foresters so I am hoping to keep mine a long time.

To get back on topic:
In your opinion, what are the shortcomings of the X-Pro1, putting aside that it is not a dSLR and the usual comparisons that follow suit?

Jan 03, 2013 at 02:37 PM
smithcottage
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · My Late review of the Fuji X Pro 1

Funky firmware in camera, which doesnt alway obey my commands. Autofocus is slower and as mentioned in the review and inconvenient to move focus point relative to my Nikons.No weatherproffing ( but the Fujis seem pretty rugged. Different tools for different tasks.
But really fun to shoot!

Jan 03, 2013 at 06:56 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · My Late review of the Fuji X Pro 1

Brody LeBlanc wrote:
Exactly. It's almost like Fuji realized most of the frills we've grown accustomed to with DSLRs don't make us much better photographers so they focused on unbelievable image quality instead.

I thought this as I started using my Fuji GSW690. If you want a camera with absolutely no frills that's the one. It was rather liberating only having to worry about 3 things on the camera, shutter, aperture, and focus. I keep thinking I am missing something when I take the shot.

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:21 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · My Late review of the Fuji X Pro 1

jcolwell wrote:
BTW, yes, it's magic.

Brody LeBlanc wrote:

andyjaggy82 wrote:
I thought this as I started using my Fuji GSW690. If you want a camera with absolutely no frills that's the one. It was rather liberating only having to worry about 3 things on the camera, shutter, aperture, and focus. I keep thinking I am missing something when I take the shot.

Me too. I used the Fujifilm GW670II and GSW690II. Clunker cameras, but very solid. Most excellent lenses. Fantastic images.

Jan 04, 2013 at 12:45 PM
smithcottage
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · My Late review of the Fuji X Pro 1

Never shot their rangefinders, but my first SLR was an AX3. I would love an adapter to mount those lenses on the XP1

Jan 05, 2013 at 08:08 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password