Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · How do you send a camera (D600) to Nikon to get the senso...

ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · How do you send a camera (D600) to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned?

Well, I've never done any damage to my gear and clean it all the time, but according to a post somewhere here by Roger from Lens Rentals, it is possible to damage the sensor. And it would be very expensive if it happened.

Ordinary precautions are all that are needed, like blowing dust off the sensor, not pressing too hard, etc... Making sure there is nothing there that could scratch it.

On the other hand, if you change your own oil but forget to put the drain plug back in, that would also be very expensive... So, if you are a complete klutz don't do it.

There are so many sensor cleaning videos on the net these days... Self education is easy.

Just remember, it gets worse before getting better...

Jan 03, 2013 at 04:13 PM
zippy_monster
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · How do you send a camera (D600) to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned?

harvey steeves wrote:
even if there was no dust problem, the self-cleaning feature isn't perfect. Any dslr owner should know how to clean their own camera sensors.

And any self-respecting manufacturer with decades of experience building cameras should know how to select a lubricant that won't contaminate other parts.

My D600 with less than 5,000 shots on it has more crap on the sensor than my D200 with close to 100,000 shots on it. Granted the D200 was sent in to Authorized Photo for a CLA maybe two years ago. But my D600 is quite a bit newer than that (obviously).

Jun Zhou wrote:
My concern is not about oil or dust. I worry about the parts wearing, such as gear wheel, and whether the dust( or debris?) will scratch the cmos in future with the shutter curtain open/close motion

This.

ChrisDM wrote:
Sensor cleaning is simple and easy with Sensor Swabs & Eclipse fluid. The reason people get freaked out about it is they think they are touching the sensor itself. Actually there is s sheet of protective glass (and other filters) in front of it that you actually touch. And with the proper sized Sensor Swab it is simply one swipe across a sheet of glass. Couldn't be more simple or more safe. Just do it.

No, I get "freaked out" by the fact that Nikon doesn't know WTF they're doing.

RRRoger wrote:
Before you send it out to be cleaned,
I would and have bought a little rubber bulb blower.
Beware canned air. You can damage your camera.
Turn the camera face down after cleaning the outside, raising the mirror, and removing the lens.
Gentle squeeze the bulb and you will not hurt anything and probably will clean the camera filter that lays on top of the Sensor.
Worst case, you will have to send it in.

Yeah, air alone does not remove the crap off the sensor in my instance.

Is it noticeable in most conditions? No, but I've definitely seen debris on photos with lighter colored backgrounds. For a brand new camera that Nikon is hell bent on eliminating any third party service options, yes, I expect Nikon to get this right from the factory.

Jan 03, 2013 at 10:49 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · How do you send a camera (D600) to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned?

Answering your question on shipping, but not addressing self cleaning, here is the scoop:

1. https://repair.nikonusa.com/ProductEntry (fill out and print, make 2 copies)
2. Get a GOOD box for shipping. Not a cheap one, 100 pounds or better burst strength. It should be large enough for 3 inches of peanuts or bubble wrap on all sides of the camera.
3. Put camera in a ziplock bag.
4. Fill bottom of box with peanuts.
5. Put camera in, fill the rest of the box with peanuts.
6. Put Nikon sheet you printed in box.
7. Seal box well.
8. I use UPS, and they require 3 inches of packing material on all sides in case you have a claim.
9. Insure for full replacement value.

Jan 03, 2013 at 11:07 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · How do you send a camera (D600) to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned?

lukeb wrote:
Answering your question on shipping, but not addressing self cleaning, here is the scoop:

1. https://repair.nikonusa.com/ProductEntry (fill out and print, make 2 copies)
2. Get a GOOD box for shipping. Not a cheap one, 100 pounds or better burst strength. It should be large enough for 3 inches of peanuts or bubble wrap on all sides of the camera.
3. Put camera in a ziplock bag.
4. Fill bottom of box with peanuts.
5. Put camera in, fill the rest of the box with peanuts.
6. Put Nikon sheet you printed in box.
7. Seal box well.
8. I use UPS, and they require 3 inches of packing
...Show more

Insure for full replacement value. "

that is a real problem. You pay a fortune to insure, when some thing happens, they always find some loop-hole to deny your claim. They do have more lawyers than you do.

"

Jan 04, 2013 at 04:00 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · How do you send a camera (D600) to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned?

nugeny wrote:
Insure for full replacement value. "

that is a real problem. You pay a fortune to insure, when some thing happens, they always find some loop-hole to deny your claim. They do have more lawyers than you do.

"

I sold a 70-200mm vr 1 a while back, and the lady at FedEX asked the insured value, and when i told her, they immediately pulled it out of my packaging (which was VERY well packaged in the first place), and put it in their own packaging, own box, etc....had to pay extra obviously, but it's the only way they'd ship it with that kind of value.

Jan 04, 2013 at 04:27 AM
T-D-S

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · How do you send a camera (D600) to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned?

If anyone cares to read about my crazy nightmare experience with my D600, you can read my three blog posts. I'm soon to post a 4th once I get my camera back from Nikon. The dust (or oil, or paint) problems are insane!

http://toddphotos.wordpress.com/2012/11/17/my-nikon-nightmare-the-d600/

Jan 07, 2013 at 01:52 AM
M Lucca
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · How do you send a camera (D600) to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned?

T-D-S wrote:
If anyone cares to read about my crazy nightmare experience with my D600, you can read my three blog posts. I'm soon to post a 4th once I get my camera back from Nikon. The dust (or oil, or paint) problems are insane!

http://toddphotos.wordpress.com/2012/11/17/my-nikon-nightmare-the-d600/

Wow!!! Mind boggling. Actually one of the photos with all the pink circles on the dot gives me the goose bumps! It's like chicken pox.

You have great patience with Nikon. They should reward you.

Jan 07, 2013 at 09:50 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · How do you send a camera (D600) to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned?

Sending your camera to Nikon to clean it is a bit like bringing your car back to the dealer for a car wash. This is something that all DSLR shooters should really learn how to do. It's not very difficult, but it does take a bit of practice. The good news is that full frame sensors are easier to clean than crop factor sensors.

Jan 07, 2013 at 09:54 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jun Zhou
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · How do you send a camera (D600) to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned?

It looks like nikon will never recall its D600

Jan 07, 2013 at 10:03 PM
T-D-S

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · How do you send a camera (D600) to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned?

@M Lucca... yes, I'd like to be rewarded for my patience too!

@Ben... I agree that sending the camera back for a cleaning is a bit crazy, but this is the only way to get Nikon's attention at a macro level. In my case, I'm lucky because Nikon has agreed to provide me with a loaner while mine is being repaired. I'll keep this up as long as it takes to make things right. As long as it is on their dime... If they weren't paying for shipping and providing a loaner, I certainly wouldn't be shipping mine back. But then again, what if the problem is much bigger than just needing the occasional cleaning? I mean, my camera after shooting only 55 photos fresh after a cleaning ended up with 27 spots!

Jan 07, 2013 at 10:12 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · How do you send a camera (D600) to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned?

So does the loaner d600 have the same spot issues? If not maybe you should take that instead?

I also read in amazon.com that D7000 has similar problems after burst. Something to do with the heat causing some oil to leak out.

Jan 07, 2013 at 10:23 PM
Jun Zhou
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · How do you send a camera (D600) to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned?

T-D-S wrote:
@M Lucca... yes, I'd like to be rewarded for my patience too!

@Ben... I agree that sending the camera back for a cleaning is a bit crazy, but this is the only way to get Nikon's attention at a macro level. In my case, I'm lucky because Nikon has agreed to provide me with a loaner while mine is being repaired. I'll keep this up as long as it takes to make things right. As long as it is on their dime... If they weren't paying for shipping and providing a loaner, I certainly wouldn't be shipping mine back. But
...Show more

from NR forum, there was a guy claimed nikon repaired his D600 instead of cleaning, but he did not know what was replaced/repaired.

Jan 07, 2013 at 10:23 PM
T-D-S

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · How do you send a camera (D600) to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned?

@ M Lucca, yep... the loaner had spots when it arrived. I've not taken many pictures, but I'll be doing a blue sky shot soon to see just how bad it has gotten. I've been careful to document each step and report it on my blog. I think that's why Nikon was willing or felt compelled to help me out. I've built a pretty strong case against the D600, though I LOVE it other than the spots issue.

@Jun Zhou, so maybe there is hope! We'll see.

Jan 07, 2013 at 10:27 PM
mister_eff

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · How do you send a camera (D600) to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned?

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up cleaning the D600 myself with a sensor swab plus eclipse. It worked just fine. I did practice on my old D90 first, even though it didn't really need cleaning. I was quite surprised that my D90 has had such little dust. I change lenses often and in outdoor conditions. Anyway, I was glad I could practice on the D90, since I've had it for a long time and and it's cheaper anyway.

I ended up looking up a youtube video along with Thom Hogan's recommendations for extra instructions. It looks like one swab on the D600 did the trick. Mine did not have huge dust issues after 4000 shots, but enough that it needed cleaning. I will see how it gets over time.

Thanks to everyone who nudged me in the "clean it yourself" direction.

Jan 08, 2013 at 10:17 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · How do you send a camera (D600) to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned?

Just go out and enjoy the camera for Pete's sake, they seem to say Just don't shoot landscape, don't go beyond f/10 and spend some extra 2-3 hours with PP's spot healing. After a while you grow to like em... This is after 4th cleaning! Now seriously I love this little camera, for the price nothing comes close... Good luck MR. eff

Left Corner

Right Corner

Jan 08, 2013 at 11:03 PM
matt4626
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · How do you send a camera (D600) to Nikon to get the sensor cleaned?

I've only sent a camera to the "factory" once to have the sensor cleaned. it came back with more even more dirt....after that I learned how to clean them myself.....not really that hard...FYI

Jan 09, 2013 at 12:23 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password